Forums Latest Members

New helmut/helmut/darth Vader etc

1. Walrus Feb 10, 2022

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok so I’m just a dood who likes watches I don’t get much deeper than that but my 2nd Vader arrived which to me looks ok but of course my friend the seiko expert deemed it “refinished” but I don’t think he really looked at it. I’m dropping it off for what I assume will be an expensive service today. Also I changed the date to show this models date wheel is in English and Roman numerals unless that’s Aramaic or something. Sunday is a red block. Could be Saturday. I need to look that up as it is odd but I have seen it prior. Pics taken on the fly here as I’m working two jobs and today I need to get to the other one but I’m hoping these pictures will help determine if this case looks refinished. In actuality if it looks ok to me I guess being refinished really is not that big a deal but perhaps it is good to learn these things incase I pic up a 3rd one. Ha ha photo shoot

Omegafanman, crd, Twocats and 3 others like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Feb 10, 2022

May the Schwartz be with you

A6C62CF0-82C1-474F-B4CA-FE3D4B588CFC.jpeg

Omegafanman, Shabbaz, crd and 5 others like this.
  3. waterchestnut Feb 10, 2022

I'm not an expert on 6139s cases but the bevelled case edges on your example can still be seen and haven't quite 'softened' out as what is typically seen on examples that have had 'work done' on their cases (from pics 2, 3, 4 and 8). There was a short video made by Spencer Klein on youtube several years back where he mentions about the case finishing on these. I'm not sure if we can post links here. But a quick search of 'seiko 6139-7100' on youtube should give you what you need. He talks about the case finishing on these starting at around the 1.45min mark in the video.

Walrus likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 10, 2022

The Roman numerals for the days of the week are supposed to be universal. You pick the first day of the week in your culture as “I” and go through the week as you normally would.
    gatorcpa

Walrus likes this.
  5. Walrus Feb 10, 2022

Thanks for the feedback I was a bit unsure of the Roman numeral thing although I have seen it prior people alluded to that being a sign of shenanigans but I did not think that was correct as I have seen various seikos with the Roman numeral showing on reputable sites I have just not had one in my possession yet. I actually asked around about getting some work done on the case of my existing helmet/helmut/Vader but I was informed it would probably not come out very “good” making me lean towards this being original but I will seek out videos recommended just for knowledge.

6. waterchestnut Feb 11, 2022

English/Roman day wheels are quite common after the typical English/Spanish and English/Arabic day wheels on seiko models meant for the international market. Yours seems correct with the white day font on black background.

Walrus likes this.
  7. Walrus Feb 11, 2022

Thanks cool. Now that I have two (different years) I’m planning on buying them all, cornering the market and driving the price to astronomical levels at which point I will Slowly sell them off.

8. Walrus Mar 8, 2022

Ok so a very nice gentleman @Paedipod sent me a bracelet to try one one of my Vader’s. Find fit I’m pleased going to utilize it but I stumbled across this other bracelet which I’m not sure is a seiko or a fako. It will probably be ok one my cleaner vader it’s at my watchmakers I’m going to touch base with him as I’m pretty sure he said give him two weeks and it’s been like 2.5 weeks so probably ok to ask him now. Excuse the poor pictures but if anyone as knowledge on this bracelet I’d appreciate it. The way it’s constructed I’m thinking it’s seiko but I know very little about a lot.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Paedipod and Omegafanman like this.