Forums Latest Members

New arrival - Gold Cap Constellation 2782 Black Crosshair Dial

1. mbeast Aug 4, 2013

Hello.

This little fella arrived a couple of days ago but only just got round to taking pics.

Appeared on the bay as an auction but I quickly negotiated a price with the seller. I've been after a no-date Constellation for a while and had been hunting for a nice 551 pie-pan, but when this came up I decided to just go for it. I paid £700 (around $1070), which I feel was a decent price considering the rarity of the dial and reasonable condition of the rest of the watch. It had also just had a service and new signed crystal and buckle which was a nice bonus.

I'm not the best at taking photos but here goes...

DSCF5746.JPG
    DSCF5761.JPG
    DSCF5760.JPG

The back is unfortunately a little polished... DSCF5791.JPG

And a couple of the seller's pics; one of the movement (which looks exceptionally clean and seems to have a new gasket?) and one of it on his timing machine

$(KGrHqR,!oIFHclHmIBoBR-Uy+EsS!~~60_12.jpg $(KGrHqEOKooFHnnE4)uoBR-U)uOezw~~60_12.jpg

As a relative newbie, I've got a few questions I'm sure you guys will be able to answer:

1. Do you think I got a good deal?

2. Is the crown original to the watch? It seems to be more commonly seen on Seamasters but the tone of the gold matches perfectly with the case. Desmond's Constellation guides also seem to have numerous examples of very original Constellations with this crown, so I'm not sure.

3. There is some scratching to the dial in a swish-like shape between 4 and 5 (best seen on the third photo down), possibly from when the hands were needlessly re-lumed. Would it be possible for this to be touched-up, or is it best to leave it as-is and not risk causing any further harm?

4. How difficult would it be to find a replacement caseback for this reference in good condition? I'm thinking pretty difficult...

Thanks for looking

2. John R Smith Aug 4, 2013

I have a Connie from about a year earlier than this, but it is not a black dial.

1. The price seems like a pretty fair deal, here in the UK at least. Our American cousins will of course swear that we pay far too much.

2. I was under the impression that the crown should be the decagonal one which is now "unobtainium". Mine has a crown like yours, and I think that it is wrong . . . however?? (experts please chime in)

3. I would not even think about messing with the dial. You will never match the existing patina and fading.

4. Watchco in Australia have some Connie casebacks, but they are all later models I think. Yours is not so much polished as just plain worn - the smaller stars have pretty much gone. The case has been polished, though, all the edges are much softer than mine.

I am wearing my Connie right now, and it is a superb watch - enjoy yours!

Regards, John

3. Dablitzer Aug 4, 2013

Nice watch! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't meddle with the dial, I like the ageing. The markers are one of my favourites, too. Yes, the case is polished a bit, but I can still see some bevel, it's worth the purchase for the dial alone IMO. Movement in very nice shape, which also adds to being a good pickup. It's not easy to find a watch like this in the UK, so I think you did good. Case back is just worn from age. I was watching this one too ;)

Possibly the crown was added during service? But I have had one with a clover crown and believe it could be original to the watch.

Welcome to the downward slope! :p

4. ulackfocus Aug 4, 2013

Hi there.

Not terrible.

Might be original. We've seen quite a few 50's Constellations with that clover style crown.

DO NOT TOUCH THE DIAL.

As previously mentioned, keep an eye on WatchCo's listings.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 4, 2013

Ditto above, love the patina on the dial. But the crown looks a bit too good to have been on the watch since birth. Note also that either the stem is too long for this crown or the crown is pulled out. It doesn't fit snugly over the pipe to effect the hermetic seal.

Decagonal crowns for this 2.5mm crown pipe size are still available last time I checked.

Cheers

Desmond

6. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

Love the patina, and congrats! Agree with everything said above. My 2852 has similar patina.

[​IMG]

Lex4TDI4Life likes this.
  7. Lex4TDI4Life Aug 4, 2013

LOVE the black dial in a stainless case. Has this thing been dibsed yet?

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

A couple of times but I can add you to the list. :)

9. Lex4TDI4Life Aug 4, 2013

Make it so :)

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 4, 2013

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 4, 2013

700 hundred nicker looks to be a pretty good deal for that watch. Congrats and enjoy!

12. mbeast Aug 5, 2013

Thanks for the advice/reassurance guys. Nice to know I got a good one. I'll get hunting for a decagonal crown.

No! This is it! The last one! Until next week...

polbrr likes this.