Forums Latest Members
  1. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

While it is great to find a NOS Connie safe queen or a Grandpa only wore it for holiday model, that is a rare occurrence.

None the less it is very nice too: to find the gem hidden in a box of junk watches at a small dealer or a boot sale.
    I picked up this little guy a gold/coin/watch dealer recently for pocket change. Needless to say, my toes curled when went through a box of junk watches and I turned it over and saw it was original black-dial, gold arrow head bumper in a stainless case! Boy do those Gold markers standout on a black dial with a stainless case!!
    Missing the crown with a broken off stem, to the casual observer the watch was a sight and had obviously seen its better days.:eek:
    Never the less, the tropical dial was quite attractive and all of the script and markers were intact. I quickly and quietly made a deal and then fled with my treasure. :rolleyes:

Opening the watch at home the movement had some big issues, :(. The keyless works looked like something hauled out a shipwreck, and I don't mean gold. one rusted lump. The balance and several other key components were OK though.
    I was fortunate to quickly find a nice crispy rosy pink donor movement as it needed a new plate and a few other parts.

Well after a days worth of work completely stripping the movement down, cleaning parts and then reassembly and lubrication, and she lives! I finished late last night and have been wearing it ever since. Keeping great time.

This is me this morning snoopydance.gif

At the start.
    black1.jpg

Today:
    10500.jpg 10506.jpg

P.S. , Did I mention crosshairs? Its got crosshears. :)

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 21, 2012

Thanks for sharing Steve, the final product looks great! I wish I could do work on my movements, but the most I can do is change crowns and polish up the cases. :p How did you start?

mondodec likes this.
  3. Steve Jul 21, 2012

Great find, and a great restoration job !.

4. ulackfocus Jul 21, 2012

We definitely need more close-ups of that dial.

5. alam Jul 21, 2012

I should pay more attention to those yard/garage sales on weekends..... that was a nice catch! :thumbsup:

6. rbird7282 Jul 21, 2012

Nice pickup! Crosshairs dials rule......especially black ones.

7. pmontoyap Jul 22, 2012

Nice work! It would be great to see pics of the restoration process. I suppose your attention is on getting the thing assembled and not in taking pictures, happens to me as well. Althought I dont tinker with the movements just yet.

8. JohannesFact Jul 23, 2012

Gorgeous work, bud. Lemme know if you ever want to flip it.

9. Brad Cancian Jul 23, 2012

Great find! I have found myself trawling old antique shops and the odd garage sale for the same reason (though no joy yet...) I love the black dial cross-hair (recently bought one myself, very similar to yours and am having it serviced at the moment, your photos have made me want it back right now! :D )

BC

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2012

I approve of this dial!

11. alam Jul 23, 2012

second this motion!

12. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 24, 2012

Nice discovery Steve. Beautiful patina on that dial, and more power to your elbow for bringing her back to life. Were you able to salvage the rotor bridge with the serial on it or the crown wheel and ratchet bridge?

Kyle, two ways to start: befriend an old watchmaker and shadow him for years (my option years ago) or maybe do the Timezone watchmaking course as a starter and find a local mentor.

You're starting early enough!

Cheers

Desmond

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2012

The bridge & oscillating weight yes so I could keep the numbers and designation. The crown and ratchet wheels were salvageable but had rust and as the donor wheels were shiny and looked better I used them. I could not discern any actual differences between a standard 354 and 354 chronometer parts, I believe it is mostly in the adjustments.

mondodec likes this.
  14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 24, 2012

The 354 parts are the same except for the rotor with the chronometre script. It seems the "premium" parts were seen in conjunction with the index regulator (cal. 352, 343 and 333). The exception being the movements used in both the large and small centenary watches - the 30.10 JUB and its 28mm counterpart which featured parts differences even though they had the regular non-swan neck non-index regulator.

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2012

Thanks Mike, that's was my understanding. Did not know about the Centenary's thought, good to know for future.

16. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 24, 2012

Agree completely on the interchangeability of parts Mike. I understand with the chronometer grade movements, from Centenary onwards, while some did not have the 'Luxury Finish' they all came from what could be called a chronometer grade parts bin.

In those days quality control of parts was particularly rigorous for chronometers. They used an inspection process that included throwing vastly magnified images of key parts on to a screen (a bit like an overhead projector) and selected chronometer grade parts on the basis of functional rather than cosmetic finish. The 'luxury finish' chronometers were not only cosmetically enhanced but also used the best finished wheels, the best finished arbours with the best polished pivots and also bridges and plates that were as perfectly anglaged or bevelled as could be achieved.

It was massively labour intensive and, in my opinion, the foundation of Omega's reputation for accuracy and reliability. The last series to receive such attention was the mid-500 calibres. Such a rigorous and manual process was also, in my opinion, the cause of Omega's downfall during the Swiss crisis. While the Japs had tooled up for precision manufacturing and assembly of parts, Omega's manufacturing lines were pre-Fordist and thus required massive human intervention to ensure optimal quality control.

The only other point I would make is that, while considered 'premium', the RG regulator from a functional and design point of view offers no advantage and is said to be inferior to the swan neck mainly because of the potential for end-shake to cause the regulating screw to move. Interesting that most of Omega's competition chronometers had stick index regulators, as did the first 28 and 30mm iterations of the Centenary.

Cheers

Desmond

watchyouwant likes this.
  17. Helvetia History Dec 8, 2012

Hello Steve,

Looks like I've found exactly the same watch. Superficially in a similar condition to yours but at least the movement was complete and it runs. I haven't done anything with it yet but I'll post some more pictures when I've cleaned it up a bit. Unfortunately I didn't get it for pocket change but at a bricks and mortar auctioneers from one not very good picture so was relieved to see it looks original when I got it. I probaby paid over the odds if it was a redial but for a genuine black dial 354 I think I got a bargain.

I got a black dialled 561 at the same time and that looks good too.

I can't find another apart from yours anywhere so I've joined the forum just to say hello.

Let me know what you think.

Omega354-1.jpg

Omega354-4.jpg

Omega354-5.jpg

MKelley likes this.
  18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Nice find. What can't be seen from photographs is that these watches have tremendous wrist presence. :thumbsup:

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 9, 2012

Nice and great find Steve. The tropical dial match well with gold marker.
    Would like to have your bravery to get unworking vinatge and do some project.
    But I think I should find a skilled and trustable watchmaker first.

20. Helvetia History Mar 22, 2013

Hello again Steve,

Just thought I'd update with a pic of the watch after a clean and a service. :thumbsup:

354-1.jpg

cicindela likes this.