Forums Latest Members

New 2021 Rolex Two-Tone Explorer I 36mm Reference 124273

1. cvalue13 Apr 9, 2021

Guy: someone else (not you) above suggested that Rolex was making two-tone Explorers because of “hipsters”

In response to that comment, I flippantly pointed out to them (not you) that Rolex makes watches for other parts of the planet that have long gravitated toward tow-tone models.

You then injected yourself, apparently in defense of the (frankly) ridiculous idea that Rolex is making two-tone Explorers for “hipsters”

Rolex thinks a two-tone Explorer is not “bonkers” and that probably has something to do with the fact that (1) Rolex does not make watches only for western tastes, and (2) two-tone watches are wildly more profitable than SS watches

upload_2021-4-9_14-21-57.jpeg

192DF055-B0BD-491C-9E68-3F148407EF23.jpeg

I won’t be buying a TT Explorer; but >50% of the luxury Swiss market might feel different, and on a unit-per-profit basis Rolex would be very happy to accentuate this product segment of their business.

morningtundra and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. Jockywilson1 Apr 9, 2021

I think the reduction in size and the two tone is a move to put the explorer into a more unisex package.

3. Jockywilson1 Apr 9, 2021

Also don’t think any £5k+ watch can really be called a tool watch.

4. N05J3W3 Apr 9, 2021

Meh. It's been all downhill since the 1016.

TJH, S.H. and Archer like this.
  5. Walrus Apr 9, 2021

I don’t know I look at it and dig the look. Probably something wrong with me. I like gold, not so much in watches but just going purely by looks of this particular watch, I like it. With these new releases being offered in smaller sizes are we moving away from dish plates? What is invicta going to do.

6. bigsom Apr 9, 2021

This watch looks amazing! Love it!

Bill Sohne likes this.
  7. vibe Apr 10, 2021

Apparently there are no hipsters in Asia

8. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Apr 10, 2021

I’m not a fan, however I believe 2 tone provide the largest profit margin for them.
    The same is probably true with any diamond dials.

9. cvalue13 Apr 10, 2021

Let’s save for a different thread the ridiculous notion that any “hipster” is drawn to wear any modern Rolex.

The only thing more ridiculous is the notion that Rolex’s business development department pitched “hipsters” as the target market for a two tone Explorer.

Everyone knows that “hipsters” are already full of Audemars Piguet and Patek Philippe’s 2015 reissue of two-tone Royal Oak and Nautilus - advertised above the urinals in dive bars throughout Brooklyn, the Mission, and Hackney

10. Pogo Apr 10, 2021

In for a penny, in for a pound (or eight thousand, seven hundred of them!!)
    For someone that has a reasonable collection of all 'tool' watches with no gold embellishment to be found amongst them, something unexplainable and totally out of character clicked when I watched the on-line unveiling. Immediately, I contacted my local AD and asked to swap waiting lists from the Explorer II to this new two tone model. It appears that I was first in the queue! Deposit paid.
    Purchasing three new watches in a week! that must be a record :cool: Shame, my partner doesn't share my excitement :mad:

Elitr6 and cvalue13 like this.
  11. morningtundra Apr 15, 2021

Gold tool watches?! Old Gen-Xers?!
    Hell yes... and I'm actually going to dive with this bad boy one day. I'll post a follow-up pic in all its water-logged, misted-up glory.
    IMG_8363.jpeg

Seacow, vibe, cvalue13 and 1 other person like this.