Forums Latest Members

New 2021 Rolex Two-Tone Explorer I 36mm Reference 124273

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 8, 2021

I'm certain Al is a closet-hoarder of gold ... like @ulackfocus and his secret stash of Speed...

:D

Bill Sohne and Eve like this.
  2. JohnRaz Apr 8, 2021

The watch in itself is looking ok and rolesor is honestly cool for dress watch but this ... is a kind of "Dress luxury tool watch" now ::confused2::

I cant imagine myself exploring cave or mountain with this watch, may be exploring a restaurant menu.

The absolute antithesis of the original DNA of Explorer.
    This is so wrong. ::facepalm1::

gnuyork likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2021

Just to clarify,. when I say "old man's watch" that is more a state of mind than age...:)

I actually considered adding this line initially, expecting the response you made, but then thought no one would be "snowflake"* enough to actually post it. Guess I was wrong. ;)

* Again, just kidding, although some will try to woke/cancel** me I'm sure...

** Yes, there's a pattern here...

:D

cristos71 likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2021

I have lots of gold things...just not watches...

eugeneandresson likes this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 8, 2021

See what happens when you start to gild a tool watch with white gold surrounds? Down the slippery slope it goes.

Like a cleansing breath, here’s a photo of days of future passed.

2BB9BBC7-D257-446B-99DC-9E4F3F462844.jpeg

I think Rolex’s ‘Explorer problem’ has always been that the 1016 was nearly perfectly beautiful to begin with. Every attempt to improve on that design has been another step backwards.

I could say the same about the Daytona...

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2021

Enjoy the two tone struggles of some.... Below a article in 2020 talks about Tudor embracing it
    https://www.acollectedman.com/blogs/journal/rise-fall-two-tone-watches

AUGUST 2020

THE RISE AND FALL OF TWO-TONE WATCHES

By A Collected Man

Very few topics in the horological world are as polarising as two-tone watches. The mixing of different metals can be an instant turn off for many, while others see it as a fun and retro design choice. Hate them or love them, two-tone watches invariably generate strong emotions, with few people remaining indifferent.

————————————————————————————————————

THE FUTURE OF TWO-TONE

“Everything in the watch world moves in cycles”, Ghotbi tells us. Just as we’ve seen a re-appreciation in ‘70s style, Ghotbi believes that, with a little more widespread understanding of the era, the ‘80s designs will come back into fashion once again. If we look more generally at two-tone watches, the dislike seems to be waning somewhat over the last few years.

Indeed, modern manufacturers have slowly started leaning into two-tone, for the same reason that they have started re-issuing mid-century designs – customers are increasingly aware and appreciative of the idea of vintage. In a way, enough time has passed for the somewhat negative association of the ‘80s to either no longer matter to some or even gain a certain vintage charm for others. Others may just enjoy the novelty of two-tone.

Tudor, the sister brand of Rolex, who have been doing two-tone in perpetuum, recently added what they call S&G models to their Black Bay and Chrono lines. What are widely considered as their flagship watches, are now sporting yellow centre links, crowns and detailing on the bezel and dial. In doing so, they are angling more towards the bolder ‘80s look than the subtle jewel-like ‘40s image.

Axel Brass and thelinendial like this.
  7. gnuyork Apr 8, 2021

100% agree with everything you said (including the Daytona). If they brought back the1016 dial and made it 37/38mm, I don't know if I could contain myself.

Edited Apr 8, 2021
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2021

I disagree with the old man’s watch bit but agree with the two-tone being the halfway mark. I’m a firm believer that if you want gold buy gold or by the old model in gold if you cant afford it buy steel, I don’t understand why you would want extra fragile polished center links on a watch that isn’t all gold.

9. Axel Brass Apr 8, 2021

thelinendial and cvalue13 like this.
  10. Difeer Apr 8, 2021

I quite fancy the 80s trashiness of a two tone fluted datejust, which I think is a trend that came about in part because it was indeed a halfway mark in terms of pricing.

cvalue13 and nlogax like this.
  11. vibe Apr 9, 2021

I think the rise of two tone popularity is because hipsters find the watches endearingly tacky, and almost un-pretentious. But I think it mostly applies to the vintage datejust.

I think the polished center links on the new TT explorer make it look too much like a fashion watch. On a strap it wouldn’t look too bad.

12. cvalue13 Apr 9, 2021

lots of EXTREMELY western-centric opinions about watches that are EXTREMELY popular in non-western countries

13. gnuyork Apr 9, 2021

Opinions based firmly on what the Explorer is and embodies. Culture has nothing to do with it. A two tone Explorer is bonkers, and yet here we are. Rolex killed the 39mm white dial OP and replaced it with a 41mm version in mosly gaudy colors, and made the Sub 41mm so...

14. cvalue13 Apr 9, 2021

:thumbsdown:

The opinion that two tone $8-16K watches are “fueled by hipsters”, when two tones have long been wildly popular in Asian markets (markets representing over 50% of Swiss watch sales) - has nothing to do with culture?

Next you’re going to tell me two tones have no place on “tool” watches - which requires only ignoring the long existing and popular two tone Subs, GMTs, etc. that nobody’s batted an eye at for decades...

And there we have it!

NEWSFLASH: guess how many spelunkers/cavers use Rolex Explorers in 2021

ConElPueblo and YY77 like this.
  15. YY77 Apr 9, 2021

As much as the people who make use of the helium release valve.:D

Edited Apr 9, 2021
    vibe, cvalue13 and Eve like this.
  16. gnuyork Apr 9, 2021

Yes and how many will dive with the Sub, or time races with the Daytona, that's not the point. We can agree to disagree. I am not against two tone, I actually would wear two tone, but a two tone Explorer is absurd - my ("western centric" ;)) opinion, yes. I am sure I am not alone, but you can keep on preaching western culture, blah blah. Thanks for the newsflash.

Edited Apr 9, 2021
    vibe likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2021

As I said, "old man" is a state of mind. :thumbsup:

80's trashiness - yes that is sort of the vibe I get too...

[​IMG]

The douchebag factor is certainly there. ;)

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2021

No more bonkers than TT or all gold dive watches I suppose. But I agree putting it on the "entry" level sport watch is a curious decision, at least from my "western centric" point of view.

gnuyork likes this.
  19. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 9, 2021

I keep reading that chrome is also making a comeback.
    1B888044-9EC6-4F46-A88B-A0480303E1D5.jpeg
    One can only hope.

vibe likes this.
  20. Burr Apr 9, 2021

Understand the mixed reviews of the two tone, but you gotta admit it’s nice to see Rolex isn’t afraid to reduce the size of one of their modern professional models — specifically reducing back to the original size of the ever so lovely 1016

mbeast, Axel Brass and thelinendial like this.