Forums Latest Members
  1. Samir Oct 18, 2018

Hello all,
    I had bought this constellation cal.551 a while back despite some shortcoming regarding the case.
    The movement was serviced and the watch works like a charm.

There is distinct bubbling in this specimen however it is immensely wearable.
    In fact I wear it almost a few days a week.

Now my question is when is dial deterioration considered patina versus damage.

Thanks and regards. IMG_20180822_100821679_HDR.jpg

2. Dan S Oct 18, 2018

I consider "patina" to be a subset of "damage" ... specifically, it's the kind of damage that some people find appealing. Bubbling is not usually considered attractive.

Samir likes this.
  3. gostang9 Oct 18, 2018

4. Samir Oct 18, 2018

My bad.....patina as a term is so widely used that I should have been more careful .
    Thanks...yes...it doesn't matter.
    Pristine constellations are exceedingly scarce from where I reside so this had to be grabbed!
    :)

BenBagbag likes this.
  5. Samir Oct 18, 2018

Agreed sir. However I would take this any day over a redial. Any ideas why this bubbling happens? Sunlight damage to the lacquer layer?

6. Dan S Oct 18, 2018

I agree that dial is not bad enough to justify a redial. Regarding the bubbling, I would guess that moisture is more likely than sunlight to cause that type of damage, but that's really just speculation on my part.

Samir likes this.
  7. Samir Oct 18, 2018

My observation or rather speculation is that moisture damage would be more in area of the crown radiating inwards?

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 18, 2018

I actually think that it is perfectly fair to include blistering as a form of patina. The definition above is far too limited, and probably only adhered to in a few pedantic, academic or fine art circles.

Patina is simply signs of aging, and the subject dial certainly fits that criterium.

I would add that I have a couple of watches with fine blistering that I consider to be very attractive.

smorrisonmd, Rochete and Samir like this.
  9. Samir Oct 18, 2018

Would love to see them!

10. Dan S Oct 18, 2018

If the blistering is fine and evenly spread, it's not too bad. Obviously these watches look a lot better to the naked eye compared to high resolution photos. This is one example from my collection that's tolerable.

IMG_1364.jpg

11. Samir Oct 18, 2018

Nice watch with a lovely unmolested case. Tolerable...lol!
    True that....my watch looks a lot better on the wrist.

Dan S likes this.
  12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 18, 2018

Here one that has been a primary wearer in recent months:

[​IMG]

tamura, Dan S and Samir like this.
  13. gostang9 Oct 18, 2018

Not at all, I was just sharing 'my' definition or how I see it.

See, no need to rely on 'my definition' as others don't see it the same way.

My google-foo is very basic, but a quick scan of the interwebs found this explanation:
    Did You Know?
    Italians began using "patina" in the 17th century to refer to the green film that is produced on the surface of copper. They borrowed the word from Latin, where it means "a shallow dish." (Presumably, the Italian meaning developed from the observation of such film forming on copper dishes.) By the mid-18th century, English speakers were also calling the green film "patina." And by the early 20th century, "patina" was being used in English for the gloss of polished metals, like silver, as well as wooden furniture - a meaning that led to its literary use for a surrounding aura, as demonstrated in this quote from Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm (1932): "The very atmosphere seemed covered with a rich patina of love."

While my definition isn't so important, I would explain further that for me (not for @Tony C. ) I would distinguish between:
    1. Patina --> general appearance has aged and somewhat discolored
    2. Blistering --> when bubbles appear in surface of paint or lacquer

A dial can be discolored without blistering, and this everyone would agree is "Patina".
    A dial can be blistered without no discoloration, and this I believe many (most) would agree is not "Patina".

Hence, a dial that is both discolored and blistered, I would refer to as "Patina" but only as a result of the discoloration and not the blistering.
    As always, YMMV.

superfly likes this.
  14. Samir Oct 18, 2018

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 18, 2018

lol! The textbook definitions of patina that you have provided are irrelevant within the context of vintage watch collecting! They are primarily narrow, anachronistic definitions relating to metal oxidation. Patina found on vintage watch dials results from the interaction of various metals and chemicals (e.g. finishing lacquers) and the elements (air, sun and moisture).

Blistering is absolutely a form of patina. Changes that are not natural, such as polishing, scratches, etc., are a different matter entirely, and do not fall into the same category.

Edited Oct 18, 2018
    Rochete likes this.
  16. Dan S Oct 18, 2018

OK, I will agree with this with the caveat that it has to be attractive blistering. Patina has a positive connotation in my mind. I'm not getting into the technical definition, more common usage amongst collectors.

superfly likes this.
  17. gostang9 Oct 18, 2018

I see your conviction has grown since your earlier post as "think" and "probably" have been replaced with "absolutely". I am happy to admit your knowledge and experience in vintage watch collection vastly eclipses mine.

I would like to clarify your definition:
    - a vintage dial with blisters where the color has not changed at all is best described using the word "patina" rather than "blistering"

How would you then describe a modern dial whereby a manufacturing defect leads to blistering (and no discoloration), would that also be "patina"?

In a dial with blistering and no discoloration, how do vintage watch collectors differentiate "patina" vs "blistering"? Is it based purely on age? What is the cut-off age at which "blistering" becomes "patina"?

Samir and superfly like this.
  18. gostang9 Oct 18, 2018

If you weren't aware, you are certainly not the first to ask this question and won't be the last.

There was a neat thread some time ago found here with some interesting comments.

Samir likes this.
  19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 18, 2018

If you are selling, it's patina.

If you are buying, it's damage.

Or is that too cynical?

:p

20. Samir Oct 18, 2018

:D:D