Need Replacement Crystal for 1954 Seamaster Ref: 14350

Hi All

Recently found an old Seamaster that belonged to my great grandpa. After getting some quotes for restoration that were way more than I wanted to spend. I’m gonna try my hand at replacing the crystal myself. Right now I’m having a hard time finding a part number for the appropriate replacement. I’d like to order the replacement crystal before I start the repair as I’d prefer to tackle it all at once instead of disassemble, measure,
order, and eventually reassemble.

If anyone could provide a part number for the crystal on a 14350 that would be amazing.

I’m also in need of a replacement crown. Though I have been able to source a part number for that from Ofrei. I may need a replacement for the crown stem though I’m not sure I’ll be able to assess that part without removing the mech?

Anyway. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice. I’m very new to watches but excited to try my hand at this repair. I’ve attached a few pictures of the watch in question for reference.

I think it is worth paying the money to have a professional get the watch running well. Watch repair is not something you can just jump into easily. How much are you getting quoted?

I think it is worth paying the money to have a professional get the watch running well. Watch repair is not something you can just jump into easily. How much are you getting quoted?

Between $500-$1000 for a full refurb. I can’t get anyone to quote the crystal replacement alone. Which I get. Hard to guarantee work when you don’t know the condition of the rest of the watch.

The movement seems to be working relatively well. It held time more or less over the course of 24hrs. The case is so beat up the watch will never be pristine but I think it would be cool to wear occasionally, what with all the family history. I also have a couple friends who do watch restoration as a hobby and they’ve offered to guide me and let me use their equipment. So I figure I don’t have much to lose giving it a shot. Plus it seems like a fun hobby.

That quote seems very high. I would agree with your DIY plan, along with your friends. Not much to lose and I suspect the repairs will be relatively easy. Good luck!

Usually I would not recommend this approach, but given the issues I'm seeing with the dial and case, I agree there's not much to lose. Just be careful with the movement, it looks pretty good.

Just as an FYI, watchmakers often have a substantial stock of generic crystals and stems, so they can easily fit those parts and don't need to research and order them.

Luckily, the plexi (PX5000) and the crown (LA42023) are both also the correct parts for the ref. 2577 Seamaster, a model of which Omega produced vast numbers. Finding the spare parts isn't too difficult, even though the ref. 14350 is rather uncommon.

Omega won't sell parts to anyone these days, so you have to get lucky to find old stock. Here are the part numbers, you want the ones for gold (gelb in German)

https://boley.de/en/case-parts/omega/6849.14350?q=14350&p=0&s=50&l=13

This is super helpful. Thank you!

Is the plexiglass crystal as scratch resistant as glass? Since this watch is already so rough I was imagining it as an everyday wear item and was planning on using glass for the additional scratch resistance.

Is the plexiglass crystal as scratch resistant as glass?
No.

Since this watch is already so rough I was imagining it as an everyday wear item and was planning on using glass for the additional scratch resistance.
Most modern watches use a synthetic sapphire crystal. Unless you using are a true artisan as a watchmaker, it is next to impossible to fit a sapphire crystal to a bezel designed for a raised plastic crystal.

Crystals are “wear and tear” items, similar to crowns and leather watchbands. They are made to be used and replaced many times over the life of the watch.
gatorcpa

No.

Most modern watches use a synthetic sapphire crystal. Unless you using are a true artisan as a watchmaker, it is next to impossible to fit a sapphire crystal to a bezel designed for a raised plastic crystal.

Crystals are “wear and tear” items, similar to crowns and leather watchbands. They are made to be used and replaced many times over the life of the watch.
gatorcpa

ok that’s really helpful. Thank you. I’ll stick with the acrylic. I guess I’ll be watching eBay closely for the 5000 crystal.

Plexi crystals can be easily polished. You just need a little of this:
61w+SuHDsZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

PX5000 won't be cheap, so if you want to practice with a generic crystal first, a G-S PA461 should also fit. You will need to reuse the current tension ring inside your watch assuming it's still in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385124780012?var=653004646684

This is super good info. Thank you. The only PX5000 I've found is $100 which wouldn't be the end of the world.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
So I've sourced a couple good options for the crystal, the crown and the stem (thanks to you kind folks).

I've started disassembly and I'm now wondering if the stem actually broke off inside the case? I originally thought the crown just fell off but it now seems like the stem is sitting too deep in the case. So I was wondering what you all think based on the images below. And if that is the case does anyone have a recommendation for getting it out? Loosen the screw and try to push it out with tweezers/pliers?

Thanks again for all your help!

Give this screw a full turn, counter-clockwise. While still applying pressure with the screwdriver, use a pair of tweezers to gently pull on the stem. Once it’s loose it comes out easily. If it doesn’t, give the screw another half turn and repeat.

Hi Friendly denizens on OmegaForums.com!

I'm continuing my novice journey through this crystal replacement. I was able to purchase a suitable replacement crown and with that installed on the stem, it was very straightforward to get the stem out. I also was able to remove the retaining screw and washer tab thing but I'm unable to remove the movement itself. The videos I've watched the movement seems to just slide out the back when the case is flipped over. I'm very hesitant to pry or pull on the movement itself. Am I missing additional retaining screws or is there some rotation that needs to happen to allow the movement to fall out of the body.

I've attached photos of the current state of the disassembly (location of removed screw is circled in red) and the screw and tab I've removed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there. No added value from my side, sorry. Just wanted to thank you as it is very interesting : I've never dared doing myself what you're doing ... so I'm watching your step by step actions with my eyes wide open 😀
Please keep posting.
And it's a nice story around this watch !