Forums Latest Members

Need Help with Zenith Flyback

1. Paulomega Oct 17, 2017

Hello everyone:

I am not a collector but just nuts about watches like many of us here. My dad had a Zenith manual wind, which was the only watch he had and was on his wrist every day. A few years ago I bought a Zenith Elite with the sub second at 9 O'clock position, For the last year or so I have been very impressed by the looks of the Zenith Rainbow Flyback and toying with the idea of getting one. Here is a watch I am interested in and would really appreciate getting some help (feednack) from the learned and experienced ones here. Please let me know your opinion on this particular watch and this model in general. Do these come in only 40mm? I like that size and no larger. Here are some of the pictures. I am grateful for all the help I received from many of the members here.

upload_2017-10-17_19-13-41.png

upload_2017-10-17_19-14-20.png

upload_2017-10-17_19-14-39.png

upload_2017-10-17_19-14-59.png

Again, thank you.

Paul

2. Paulomega Oct 19, 2017

Any opinion and information will be greatly appreciated.

I am a new to this Forum, andI did not see any response to my request for information, so am I wrong in assuming that I may have stepped out of line with my request. If I did, it was not intentional and I like to know so that I do not repeat the same mistake again.

Thank you

3. tyrantlizardrex Oct 19, 2017

Hey Paul,

I think a few members have other colour variants of this one - @dougiedude and @Stewart H do/did if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers

Chris

4. ELV web Oct 19, 2017

Looks good to me, the lug of this looks polished but they are like that. Also you might want to check out the rainbow version and the rarer mango version ;)

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 19, 2017

Sorry, I missed this thread originally - late spring and I finally catch the flu that has been going round this winter - so thanks for tagging me @tyrantlizardrex .

It all looks good to me and to the best of my knowledge, they only came in one size.

The one in the OP is a later model and is evidenced by three things:
    1 The Luminova dial and hands.
    2 The style of box.
    3 The dual reference number 01/02 indicating that it was supplied with both strap and bracelet.

Based on the box style, I would guess that this was shipped post 2000. I have Zeniths from 2000 that had the old style box and the next one I have is from 2003 and has the same box as this one so the change must have happened in this period.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. Hijak Oct 19, 2017

These Flybacks are really nice watches and the 40mm size is perfect for a sport watch IMO. I have the "rainbow" version of this and it's one of my faviorite watches, high quality feel and the El Primero movement...everything you could ask for!
    image.jpeg
    The bracelet on these is by far my favorite of any I've worn, just so comfortable with a quality feel!:thumbsup: Good luck with your quest...it looks like, from the pictures, you have your sights on a good one.

LouS and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 19, 2017

Did the all black state rainbow on the caseback?

8. tyrantlizardrex Oct 19, 2017

That was the model line, rather than a reference to the coloured bezel version specifically, if I recall correctly?

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Hijak Oct 19, 2017

Correct, it did. This can be seen in OP pictures above.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 19, 2017

khanmu and dougiedude like this.
  11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 19, 2017

You recall correctly Chris. The line also included 3 handers as well.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 19, 2017

A bit late to the party, but looks like a good one!

Here's my Mango Rainbow:

Photo Feb 13, 4 11 45 PM.jpg Photo Feb 23, 10 03 52 AM.jpg

I like wearing mine on leather, since I don't care for the extra weight on my wrist with the Zenith bracelet, but it's certainly a beautiful and well-made one.

My pushers (and crown) are screw-down, which I think all of the Mangos had; perhaps it was a later design element built into the Rainbow model? Edit: Nope. Mango was a Rainbow diver, not a flyer (https://omegaforums.net/threads/zenith-rainbow-mango.25926/#post-289017)

... more informed brains please chime in!

ADD: If you happen to like the Mango, there's been a lot of fun had here discussing this version in the past. They're very popular on the Forum... and only 470 of them made in total!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/eh-mon-got-mango.44661/#post-528105

And:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/zenith-rainbow-mango.25926/

Edited Oct 19, 2017
  13. Paulomega Oct 20, 2017

WOW!!!!

First of all... my heart-felt gratitude for all of you sharing opinions .... Thank you.

I have not held one of these in my hand so I really do not have much feel for its size. I know they say it is 40mm, which is slightly larger than Speedmaster reduced, but what about the weight? I have a 2002 Speedmaster Professional, which I wear with a leather band although I have the bracelet also. I have a Seamaster Professional and with the bracelet it is a CHUNK. I love that watch but it does not get much wrist time.

20171020_011434.jpg 20171020_011440.jpg

Movement .. elsewhere in the Forum I have noticed some one mentioned they need regular servicing, are they dependable and workhorse like the Speedmaster or is that a loaded question (I am not trying to determine which brand is better just like to hear opinion on these two movements).

The color on the Mango version is beautifully different and I am sure draws a lot of attraction and comment, but with such rarity and cost I will be afraid to wear it too much.

Again thank you for sharing your opinion and expertise.

14. Paulomega Oct 20, 2017

This is just beautiful - totally visual delight.

Hijak likes this.
  15. Paulomega Oct 20, 2017

Would you rank these watches according to your preference and also according to actual wrist-time?
    Thanks.

16. tyrantlizardrex Oct 20, 2017

I recall a very pleasant and informative evening or two, where we may have supped an ale... or several... and I learned from you about how cool these watches are @Stewart H :)

Hope that flu clears up pronto.

17. Vulffi Oct 20, 2017

Paulomega likes this.
  18. alfanator Oct 21, 2017

Exceptional watches, i believe originally designed for the French Air Force. And underpriced relative too other watches in its class.

It has it all. Military heritage, rugged case, legendary in house movement, iconic design, date, chronograph, and elapsed time bezel.

It looks busy at first glance, but the colored model is incredibly easy to read. A study in the use of colors in visual design. I have not used the black one to comment on that point.

I prefer ones with the tritium dials as they ag e nicely.