Forums Latest Members
  1. charleshunter Jun 4, 2015

Hi - I'm new to this site and saw Mick Tock's Mango so I wanted to show off my new acquisition. I am and have been an Omega (SMP and 60's Automatic) person but I could not resist this Rainbow "Mango". I have wanted a Zenith Chrono, El Primero for years and while looking for an Omega Chrono I ran across this one. I am not one for bright dials and am usually conservative in watch styles I like but the design seems well balanced. It even came with the original receipt. Purchased new in 2013, sized and unworn until I snagged it off an auction site. Been wearing it 5 days now and I really like the proportions and the way it fits me. The fit and finish are top notch. It looks so good I almost don't want to wear it. But heck, that's what it's for. BTW, on another forum they state that there were only 470 of these made but I have not been able to confirm that.

IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1224 2.JPG II

Edited Jun 4, 2015
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 4, 2015

I am a fan of the Rainbows. Congrats on a nice find!

fskywalker likes this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 4, 2015

I also saw Mick Tock's Mango (sounds like a tropical smoothie? :)) and it reminded me of a black dial Rainbow I had. These have so much detail! From the completely satin finish to minimize reflections of harsh sunlight entering the cockpit, to the Flyback feature pilots relied on (something to do with coordinates I now forget), to the straightforward dial design that made it easy to read data at a glance while operating other equipment ...
    I recall disliking the bracelet (looks, not comfort as it was actually very comfortable to wear) and the boring-to-me straightforward lugs (which actually fit well with the overall design). In remembering all that it did so well, I find myself longing for another and adding it to my "re-acquire" list. I'm not ready yet, at least financially. But emotionally? Yes!
    Rainbow, Mango, Black...all fantastic watches and highly recommended by one who has owned one and wants another! And no one can fault the Flyback El Primero, unless you have one that needs $ervice... :(

fskywalker likes this.
  4. Veritas99 Jun 4, 2015

Congrats on the Mango, it's a great watch (I'm a little biased).

[​IMG]

FYI...The 470 is also cited in Rossler. It was first mentioned by a seller in 2006 on another board who claimed it was confirmed by Zenith (back before they charged for info).

fskywalker likes this.
  5. Mick Tock Jun 4, 2015

Welcome to this forum for colorful and classic watches.
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. I'm pretty sure that this watch is only the first of a series of non-conservative watches you will own. There are so many fine watches in yellow, orange, red, and blue.

[​IMG]
    Heuer Silverstone 110.313R
    Yes, so says Manfred Rössler.

Enjoy and wear your Mango and please let us see your other watches.

Cheers,

Mick

Eve, redhed18, Mspeedster and 3 others like this.
  6. charleshunter Jun 4, 2015

I saw your post on the WORLDS LARGEST WATCH SITE and then found this forum last night. I am very biased now too. I think there was another one accounted for so where are the other 467? A concern I have is whether it is going to need to be serviced. One issue I am noticing is that the lume is not bright. Could it take some time in the sun to charge or is that an urban myth. I will have to look for a service center in my neck of the woods. I image a service could be costly but I want to do it right. I am not sure I want to take it to my watchmaker who had some issues fixing my Omegas.

fskywalker likes this.
  7. Veritas99 Jun 4, 2015

There are certainly a few in the hands of members here, but it's clear that the model did not sell out at the time of release because yours isn't the only one that was purchased new in the last few years.

Unfortunately, you're out of the luck on the lume. These models were made between 1998-2000 and came with tritium, which has a half life of just over 12 years. Even if it was bought new in 2013, if it hasn't been serviced before, it's probably time. If you decide to send it back to Zenith, the service price for an EP 400 is on their website. I sent mine back in December 2011 and was happy with the results (I had built the cost into my offer when I bought it though).

fskywalker likes this.
  8. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jun 5, 2015

I'm also guilty of the prosecution to have a Mango:oops:

image.jpg

9. charleshunter Jun 5, 2015

I saw the manufacture dates from the catalog so knew it was turn of the century but did not know about the tritium. I also considered having to send the watch for a servicing but after I saw it I thought I was home free because it is keeping nearly perfect time but now know differently so I will get it done. Is the warranty transferable? It expired the end of January 2015 so I wonder if there may be some negotiation room as far as the lume is concerned. The main reason for sending it in though is because I was also reading that the EP should be adequately lubricated especially considered that it was stored for so long.

fskywalker likes this.
  10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 5, 2015

It is your watch so you are free to do with it what you will. All I would say is that, if the issue of the glowing markers/hands is important to you, make sure to stipulate that you want the originals returned because it will necessitate the changing of the dial and hands to bring the glow back and that, in turn, will mean replacing them with current equivalent items that will have Luminova rather than Tritium and a phosphorescent compound, to produce the glow. Without those pieces, you will never be able to return it to the original condition.

Congratulations on your decision to have it serviced - some of the parts are very expensive and don't take kindly to running in worn out lubricants. A service on an el Primero won't be cheap - you can't buy a new mainspring and a complete barrel is $100 plus - but if you need to replace other parts, some of them are equally expensive (or more so)

I guess what I am saying is don't wear an un-serviced el Primero.

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 5, 2015

@MMMD: Good Lord! How is it that Chris Kattan has not made an appearance in this thread?

fskywalker likes this.
  12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 5, 2015

Well... since you beg...

[​IMG]

janice&fred and fskywalker like this.
  13. charleshunter Jun 5, 2015

Now that causes me some pain but I get what you are saying. I did wear it for about a week. While first winding I did initially notice resistance but it otherwise worked as I expected, I.e., pushers were solid and all hands snapped back, date changes. I have little idea of how it has been worn/handled in the past 15-17 years but it sure looks better than I do a decade and a half later. I come from this daily wearer image.jpg
    Which now seems like a tool compared to the Zenith.

amcclell and fskywalker like this.
  14. charleshunter Jun 5, 2015

3M D. :D:D:D

fskywalker likes this.
  15. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 6, 2015

Gee whiz, why didn't somebody set me straight?
    I was glancing thru Rössler's book making wishes, and discovered the Mango did not have a cal. 405 Flyback movement. I mistakenly thought all the Rainbows were Flyback but just the Rainbow Rainbow and the Black Rainbow? Not the blue or white?

fskywalker likes this.
  16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 6, 2015

Right. The Mango is configured as a diver with screw down pushers and crown, as is the All-Black.

fskywalker likes this.
  17. charleshunter Jun 7, 2015

I initially thought the same thing when I saw the book. Mine was advertised by the seller as a flyback but I had figured it out by then. So, like you I soon learned that a rainbow is not always a rainbow but a Mango...

fskywalker likes this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 7, 2015

Nice piece mate, great movement in a great watch!

fskywalker likes this.
  19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 7, 2015

I would say a rainbow is a rainbow, but some are swimmers and some are flyers.

fskywalker, Adri and Time Exposure like this.
  20. charleshunter Jun 7, 2015

Sorry for the long winded post so here's the bottomline: Tourneau agrees with virtually everything I learned about the Mango BUT advises against getting it serviced.
    Stewart H, I did as you suggested: Found the nearest authorized service center located at Tourneau in SF so I went down today with watch, box and papers. When the first sales person approached I asked him if he knew his Zenith and he said he did. When I showed him the watch he said that the orange dial is distinctive in the Zenith line and that he has yet to see a Rainbow like this one. He eyeballed (no loupe) it and proclaimed it was a great piece not to be messed with. I said that I came in to see about getting it serviced. To my surprise he advised against it. He said my backstory sounded reliable evidenced by the condition of the watch and that if it is keeping accurate time don't "mess with it". He mentioned that the lubricant was likely of higher than optimum viscosity but if it has been running for a week it doesn't need to be serviced. I warned him about not wanting to replace any expensive broken parts due to not having it serviced and in his opinion it wasn't going to happen. When I said I felt it best to have it serviced he said fine, "I'll take your money but it doesn't need it." He said if it starts acting up in anyway to definitely bring it in and it is generally $500 to $1k for a service. I asked about the lume and he brought up that it was tritium and suggested putting it in direct sunlight for a couple of days to see if that revives it. He said if it does not, forget about it, not important and do not relume, don't change anything on this watch, he repeats. I asked him if the back had been opened he said he couldn't tell so I asked if we should open it. Why would you open it, he said. He said if it's not broken don't try to fix it. Don't touch it unless something starts not performing to spec. While working the pushers and resetting to zero he told me about Rolex and the 80's to late 90's el Primero Daytona and mentioned it is a collector's piece. When I told him that I prefer a black dial he basically tells me that it was time for me to leave as we had no business to discuss. He said distinctive dial color, chronometer, EP movement, in perfect condition - enjoy it. Last question from me, what's it worth to which he replies that he has no idea. During this conversation I told him about my Omega SMP but that's another story.

What do you folks suggest I do? Forget the service? Insist on it? Find another service center?
    Thanks for all of your advice.

fskywalker and Nobel Prize like this.