Forums Latest Members

Need Help with My Uncle's Speedmaster Professional

1. River McK Aug 4, 2020

Greetings OF members,

Last time I posted on the Omega Forums was during the pre-COVID era in the Longines sub-forum, in regard to my grandfather's 1938 13ZN. Well, I'm back once again seeking knowledge and insight. My uncle passed away unexpectedly ten years and one day ago. Ironically, he was the son of my grandfather who owned the 13ZN...I guess that side of the family has a penchant for excellent time pieces :) After he passed, his youngest daughter inherited his watch. It is the only possession of his that she has to remember him by. She mentioned that it was an Omega, and I naturally became inquisitive. She just sent me a few photos and I was hoping the good people here could provide some insight that I could pass along to her. From my research, it appears to be a second generation, with the 812 bracelet and Lyra lugs. Without knowing the serial number, there is not much else I can infer, other than it has seen it's fair share of use. Based on google image searches and threads on this forum, it appears the hour and minute hands may have been replaced at some point, but due to my limited Speedmaster knowledge, I'm not certain of that. The black at the base of the hands under the lume is something I haven't found in any other Speedy examples. I've asked her to take more photos in natural light, which should be arriving in another day or so. I will follow up with more pics then. Thanks to all in advance!

WLG III Speedy 4.jpg WLG III Speedy 5.jpg WLG III Speedy 6.jpg

2. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

Hard to say from those photos but it could be a 1970s 145.022 with the wrong hands installed. The problem is that once you identify that the watch has been tampered with in that way, then everything becomes suspect. So one would really need to see good photos from every angle including the inside.

Edited Aug 4, 2020
  3. River McK Aug 4, 2020

Thanks Dan. Makes sense, given the issue with the hands. I do know that my uncle was a simple yet refined man. He appreciated things of quality and vintage. He very well may have had the watch repaired by a non-Omega certified watchmaker, but that would have either been out of necessity so he could resume wearing it, geographical limitations (not being near a certified watchmaker), or financial constraints. I will ask my mother and aunt if they have any other background info as well.

4. Dan S Aug 4, 2020

What do you think your cousin wants to know? As you mentioned, it's an heirloom for her, so esoteric information about the originality of various parts may not be particularly helpful for her.

wolfe44 and janice&fred like this.
  5. janice&fred Aug 4, 2020

Yes aside from having it serviced I don't see any problems as far as it being an as-is heirloom from her dad.

Pun and connieseamaster like this.
  6. River McK Aug 5, 2020

@Dan S @janice&fred
    I think she is debating servicing it vs leaving it as-is. If she knew the approximate value, that might help influence her decision.

7. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

Well, we still don't know enough to give an accurate value, but I would say somewhere in the $2k-$3k USD range, if that helps. Obviously there's no point in servicing it unless she (or someone else) is actually going to wear it.

OmegaP99 and janice&fred like this.
  8. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

Well of course you know it's definitely worth a few grand and with your post on it's sentimental value I still don't get the question.

Dan S likes this.
  9. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

I guess it's these two quotes that have us guessing what is the point of your thread. Not to needlessly button-hole you but you waxed poetically about the last two watches you talked about and how they are irreplaceable heirlooms, to the point that readers would reach for tissues, and then cash value will determine whether this watch gets a service or if it will be left as-is? I think the obvious answer that surely you already can figure out is if the watch is to be used then service it.

Pun and OmegaP99 like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2020

Why does it matter why the person wants this information?

Did you consider that they may want an insurance value so the watch can be insured if sent for service?

mayankyadav and River McK like this.
  11. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

Could be Al. However as long as the poster is going to post he will get replies. Feel free to post additional info for him.

Pun likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2020

Hopefully some are helpful replies. As stated, we would need better photos to tell them much more.

River McK likes this.
  13. River McK Aug 5, 2020

I think there are two values under discussion here. Of course there is sentimental value, which can be very difficult to put a price on. On the other hand, if she were to entertain the idea of wearing it, I would think she would want to consider the cost of servicing vs the overall value of the watch in order to help to make that decision. Let's say the watch was valued at $2k, but it would cost $1k to service and restore the watch (correct bracelet, hour/minute/chronometer hands, cleaning, glass polishing, etc), she may reconsider and just keep it in it's current condition...And although that $1k service fee is an absolute guess, even if it cost $500 that might be too much for her to spend right now...Times are tough out there for some of us... Yes, I'm sure the argument could also be made that she has effectively increased the overall value by servicing/reconditioning. And I agree with what @Archer stated, she may also need to consider approximate value for insurance purposes prior to sending out for service.

The intent of my post, (not AI, I promise), was to hopefully obtain a little more information on this watch to add to the story behind the watch for my cousin. I understand without there serial number and better photos, there isn't much left to say. Thanks to all who've chimed in on this post, as always I appreciate your insight.

14. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

Interesting viewpoint you have and while it might make sense to a watch purist, we are under the impression that since you said it's the only thing your cousin has to remember her father by, and she is not a watch purist as she had to ask you what the thing was, it's doubtful the course she would want is to radically alter the configuration her dad chose for the watch and completely restore it to original factory spec as you spelled out. Like I said, the logical question is whether she wants to use it, and if so the most sensible thing to do is regardless of value to have the movement serviced so it's safe to run and not replace or do anything more. So you might want to bring it along to the same watch expert you are bringing your other family heirloom to and have him take a look-see at the movement.

15. SkunkPrince Aug 5, 2020

Goodness.

Of course it needs to be serviced. There's no reason she can't wear it if she wants to. The hour and minute hand are wrong, as we all know. She can change them or not as she chooses.

Bracelet is not genuine, either.

You need to find out if she wants to wear it, whether she wants a decent bracelet or strap, and whether she wants the watch restored for a "collector" or a "normal person".

And don't you get all in my face about collector value, rabble, I bet you a donut she doesn't give a shit. It's her heirloom, her choice... for her reasons.

I'm sure she's reading this thread and making up her mind.

janice&fred likes this.
  16. Donn Chambers Aug 5, 2020

If she wants to keep it, it should be serviced. Whether she wants to correct the hands or not is up to her.

if she wants sell it, leave it as is, put it on eBay with good pictures, and let the market decide. The price of a service likely wouldn’t be recouped.

janice&fred likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2020

Well, having restored quite a number of watches that were passed down like this, I'll tell you that it goes both ways. There are people who want it left "as is" the way their relative last wore it (to the point of making sure I didn't remove weld splatter from a case once), and there are those who want it brought back to what is was when their relative first bought the watch.

Having the relevant information isn't doing any harm no matter what this person chooses to do, so not quite sure why this is being made into an issue really.

River McK, Dor_42 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  18. janice&fred Aug 5, 2020

It's called a discussion Al, but since you're in the business you should be able to post for the guy that "relevant information" i.e. prices on all the obvious parts from the pictures the watch needs to bring it back to factory spec at least visually, and the best and worst case scenario movement service-wise. That would be a big help no?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2020

Sure, the obvious thing it needs is a new hour and minute hand. New from Omega about $60. If you want vintage to match, then I have no idea as I don’t buy vintage hands.

Of course the new hands would be included in an Omega service, which I think is something like $750 US.

Discussion is good, so is getting all the information you can before making a decision.

River McK and Pun like this.
  20. OmegaP99 Aug 5, 2020

Wearing it? Service it.
    Selling it? Service it, correct hands and other non-original parts.
    Going back in the drawer and pulled out once or twice a year as a remembrance? Don't service it.