Need help with my British lingo…

I love it how when in Yorkshire even the burly fellow at the local "cheap shop" calls me "luv."

Edited:

Like 5
So true. To be fair, in the village where I live, "morning" is generally well received and often given. When I used to live in a town only 5 miles away I used to count it a success if I could get a single response to a "good morning" on a 30 min run. London is a whole different game - any interaction unwelcome!
Out walking on t'moors ey oop's get exchanged almost 100% of the time

Like 4
Driving in the UK is best done solo. That way you do not have someone in the left hand seat shouting "Watch out for that wall!"

From driving in the UK I've found that I can either drive a RHD car or drive on the right side of the road, but cannot do both simultaneously.

So, drivers there had better hit the ditches whenever I'm on the loose behind the wheel!

Like 3
Aside from the slang this is a key document for any UK visitors.
Also never drop in unannounced without a specific invite :0)

This is both the best and so true! :whistling:

Like 2
...but I get the feeling "up norf" everyone's always round each other's houses for a cuppa. Might be an horrific stereotype though.

With the greatest respect, I almost agree...:D

Like 3
This is all I hear....

I dont know about a quick J Arthur but I might get totaly wankered at the Cock -Inn - Hand tonight.......;0)

Like 5
I used to do a lot of business in Scotland, Aberdeen area. Between my Southern US accent and their local yammerjammer, we needed a frickin interpreter. After a pint or two though, we figured it out. :thumbsup:

Always a great time up there.

Like 4
I love it how when in Yorkshire even the burly fellow at the local "cheap shop" calls me "luv."

I’d like to bang this Lucy chick. (That’s pretty much how you’d say it in American English)

or... "I've only lived in America for 6 years, so I think I would be a good resource for the nuances of American English..."

Wait, that wasn't said...

Understood all of those without any difficulty...she needs to do some Newfoundland accents for her audience...

Like 2
All my british slang I learned by watching Monty Python, you stupid gits.

Like 4
All my british slang I learned by watching Monty Python, you stupid gits.

just 'cos some watery bint threw a sword at you...

Like 5
Watch how the word 'been' is pronounced. This is the hardest one to do when affecting an accent.
Dance is another one that if often wrong as the pronunciation has shifted about between the classes.

I always loved the 'Spaghetti trees' documentary. People will believe anything they see on telly.

Look sharp. Mind the gap.

Like 3
Mind the gap.

My first time to London...Mind the Gap....WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Keep calm and carry on....WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Bangers and mash, fish and chips, mushy peas.......AAAARGH!::screwloose::

facing-coronavirus-keep-calm-and-carry-on.jpg s-l500.jpg

Like 2