need help with a vintage omega I want to buy.

So, the boyfriend is a big vintage Omega enthusiast, and I thought I'd start the hunt for something nice for Christmas in time - but since I got no money for an 1965 Pie Pan, I stumbled on fb marketplace upon.. this. What did I find? And is it something he'd appreciate as a present? I know nothing about watches, so all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Unfortunately, you stumbled on a fake. Just horrible quality all around. I don’t need to see the movement on this one.

Run away from this one.
gatorcpa

What’s your budget and where are you located? Perhaps we can help with a few suggestions.

The budget is 100-200 euros (yes, I know) and I'm located in Romania, but my guy is in the states, so both the EU and the states would be ok.

Well, that effectively rules out Omega. What’s his current watch? You could get him a very nice exotic strap (alligator, crocodile, teju lizard, ostrich, etc.) for that budget.

quote from the man himself " Seiko 5 from the discontinued sns line. Came on a very meh bracelet... so I removed it and put on a NATO strap". Make of that what you will 😁

What’s your budget and where are you located? Perhaps we can help with a few suggestions.
I'm also in the matket for a vintage automatic Omega.. Geneve or Seamaster.. gold plated, leather strap, would pay 600€ or plus..

I'm also in the matket for a vintage automatic Omega.. Geneve or Seamaster.. gold plated, leather strap, would pay 600€ or plus..
Avoid gold plated if you can.

Thanks but why? My current one looks ok
Plated watches face wear issues that steel or karat gold don’t. Value retention blah blah blah…. Yours looks great so keep enjoying it.

Thanks but why? My current one looks ok
Because they are crap, dressed up to look pretty but low quality cases that are not made to last. If you want a gold-colored watch but don't want to pay for solid gold, I would recommend gold-capped cases.

Sometimes one has to live with the lesser cuts of beef.

I'd rather have a trashed gold plated case for a ratwatch than no case at all. Given how many 56x movement assortments I have aquired in the last month, Any case is starting to look attractive. Oh for the days of watchco spare parts ...

The budget is 100-200 euros (yes, I know) and I'm located in Romania, but my guy is in the states, so both the EU and the states would be ok.
If he’s the kind of guy who would like to learn more about Omega, maybe he would appreciate a book. The “standard” reference book about the Omega Speedmaster is called “Moonwatch Only.” I think it might fit well with your budget.

Here’s a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Moonwatch-Only-Ultimate-OMEGA-Speedmaster/dp/2940506302/ref=sr_1_1

Plated watches face wear issues that steel or karat gold don’t. Value retention blah blah blah…. Yours looks great so keep enjoying it.
You sure are right about the wear but one should take great care of such piece..
Thank you

If he’s the kind of guy who would like to learn more about Omega, maybe he would appreciate a book. The “standard” reference book about the Omega Speedmaster is called “Moonwatch Only.” I think it might fit well with your budget.

Here’s a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Moonwatch-Only-Ultimate-OMEGA-Speedmaster/dp/2940506302/ref=sr_1_1
You think he'd prefer the budget is spent on a book about watches that aren't within the budget? Proper bloke logic right there.

You think he'd prefer the budget is spent on a book about watches that aren't within the budget? Proper bloke logic right there.
LOL. Would he prefer it to a 100 Euro Fauxmega? You tell me.

With some planning and creativity, 200 Euro can buy an interesting vintage watch, IMO. Not an Omega, of course.

You can get an omega for around 200USD. But they are pretty trashed and mostly good for learning on. This only works when one can self service. That tends though to lead to compulsive collecting behavior.