Need help with 3861

Hello everyone! Long time forum lurker here. I am both amazed and very grateful for all of the incredible information that you guys have been able to provide on any topic. It’s unbelievable! This is where Omega should send their reps for training!

Anyhow, I need some help with a few things that I would like to do to the 3861. I have read tons of threads and gathered a bunch of information but I just want to make sure that I have everything 110% clear in my head before I move forward so I am hoping for some solid confirmation from anyone who can chime in (@Lex_Lugga (fellow here😉, @ducatiti, @pbrob….anyone else….please!).

1) I love the flat link bracelet look and would like to add one to the 3861 for some versatility. The “1479” style bracelet that is on there is beautiful however I am not a huge fan of the pin stripping on the clasp.

I have read that both the Apollo 11 and 57 bracelets work however there are some issues with the endlinks. The Apollo 11 endlinks look shorter than the 57 therefore I would assume that they are a better fit. There is an article that I read on “Oysterinfo.de” that tried the Apollo 11 on modern cases and their consensus was “The Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Moonwatch bracelet can be fitted to current Speedmaster Professional models without modification”. Now, I know that this bracelet does not have the easy adjustment button in the clasp but the 57 does. So my question is would the Apollo 11 endlinks with the 57 bracelet be the best fit? I know that the endlink issue can be solved with the Forestners but I would love to keep everything original Omega.

Also, the clasp on the 57 is 15mm. Could I use this clasp on the “1479” style bracelet of the 3861?

2) I would like to add a solid metal bezel (non insert type) to the 3861. I have seen some on the 57’s, Legend Series, Broad Arrows etc. Most are stainless but there are also white gold and titanium versions. What I am looking for is a polished version (not brushed or satin). I know that the white gold is polished but are there any in stainless that are polished as well? Is there a polished solid metal bezel that would fit the 3861?

I would REALLY APPRECIATE any help and advice that any of you guys can give. Thanks in advance!

2) I would like to add a solid metal bezel (non insert type) to the 3861. I have seen some on the 57’s, Legend Series, Broad Arrows etc. Most are stainless but there are also white gold and titanium versions. What I am looking for is a polished version (not brushed or satin). I know that the white gold is polished but are there any in stainless that are polished as well? Is there a polished solid metal bezel that would fit the 3861?
Your only option would be to find an aftermarket bezel specifically made for a 3861. No brushed/polished solid metal OEM bezel from any other Speedy will fit the 3861 case. The 3861 bezel is different than previous generations, in that it requires a spacer. As a result, the inner dimensions/shape of the bezel are different than previous generations, which means previous gen bezels aren’t compatible.

You can see the spacer in my pic below with the red arrow.
IMG_4631.jpeg IMG_4632.jpeg

Your only option would be to find an aftermarket bezel specifically made for a 3861. No brushed/polished solid metal OEM bezel from any other Speedy will fit the 3861 case. The 3861 bezel is different than previous generations, in that it requires a spacer. As a result, the inner dimensions/shape of the bezel are different than previous generations, which means previous gen bezels aren’t compatible.

Mr. Scarecrow, thank you for the reply and for ruining my Easter Long weekend as well🙁

All kidding aside, I really appreciate the information. So to get it straight, the 3861 case is the only one that utilizes this spacer for the bezel. Furthermore, the only bezels that are available for this case are the ones that accept inserts….nothing solid….yet….

How does that spacer work with the bezel insert?

I wonder if you could take a previous generation bezel and modify the back of it to accommodate the spacer? I have a friend that does some very intricate machining work….

Please let me know what you think?

Also, can anyone comment on the bracelet compatibility that I mentioned in my original post?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mr. Scarecrow, thank you for the reply and for ruining my Easter Long weekend as well🙁

All kidding aside
Heh! Sorry! I’ve tried to mod the bezel as well, so I’ve been through this heartbreak. I wanted to put a telemeter bezel on mine.

wonder if you could take a previous generation bezel and modify the back of it to accommodate the spacer? I have a friend that does some very intricate machining work….
This is probably way more work than it’s worth. I just took these photos to show the backs of both a 1861 and 3861 bezel. They are unedited cell phone pics, so this is the best quality I can provide.

Here is the 3861 bezel

IMG_4656.jpeg IMG_4660.jpeg

And the 1861 bezel
IMG_4658.jpeg IMG_4657.jpeg

You can see the 1861 bezel has a lip to it. Here are both side by side, which I think gives an idea on how the spacer works.
IMG_4659.jpeg

Heh! Sorry! I’ve tried to mod the bezel as well, so I’ve been through this heartbreak. I wanted to put a telemeter bezel on mine.

This is probably way more work than it’s worth. I just took these photos to show the backs of both a 1861 and 3861 bezel. They are unedited cell phone pics, so this is the best quality I can provide.

Here is the 3861 bezel

IMG_4656.jpeg IMG_4660.jpeg

And the 1861 bezel
IMG_4658.jpeg IMG_4657.jpeg

You can see the 1861 bezel has a lip to it. Here are both side by side, which I think gives an idea on how the spacer works.
IMG_4659.jpeg

Thanks once again for the amazing reply! It would be a lot of work but basically, the inside lip of the older bezel would need to get milled down so that the inner side wall is square all the way down to the bottom inner lip so the spacer could sit inside of it….correct?

That's such an interesting look without the bezel

I just thought of this….do you think that the solid steel bezel from the new generation 57 series would work? Does it have the same spacer?

Mr. Scarecrow Boat? Anybody?

The Apollo 11 endlinks should fit your case if you go to a 1.6 mm Spring Bar per both trf and my OB, but the fit may not be perfect to the case.

Another option: I can tell you that I have an Apollo 11 bracelet fitted to my 1863 and I chose to very gently file down the "tabs" that prevented it from fitting normally. I masked all surfaces that I was not filing off and I am comfortable doing this sort of work but you may not be.

Another option is forstner end links, which will fit but may extend the end link in your case.

RE: quick adjust- I've read that the 57 CLASP will replace the A11 clasp without issue as long as you order the clasp/swing arm AND the little connector link pieces. This might be worth your while... IF you had an A11 already. I ended up drilling a 3rd micro position in my A11 clasp and am content without the slide adjust.

Replacing the clasp also should not be difficult

The Apollo 11 endlinks should fit your case if you go to a 1.6 mm Spring Bar per both trf and my OB, but the fit may not be perfect to the case.

Another option: I can tell you that I have an Apollo 11 bracelet fitted to my 1863 and I chose to very gently file down the "tabs" that prevented it from fitting normally. I masked all surfaces that I was not filing off and I am comfortable doing this sort of work but you may not be.

Another option is forstner end links, which will fit but may extend the end link in your case.

RE: quick adjust- I've read that the 57 CLASP will replace the A11 clasp without issue as long as you order the clasp/swing arm AND the little connector link pieces. This might be worth your while... IF you had an A11 already. I ended up drilling a 3rd micro position in my A11 clasp and am content without the slide adjust.

Replacing the clasp also should not be difficult
Thank you for the reply Sir! Much appreciated and great information! Just a quick question….what part of the endlink did you file down? Is it the raised lip in the centre that sits on the slotted area of the Apollo mid case? I’m assuming they designed it this way to get rid of the tabs / wings that were on the sides of the previous endlinks. Also, if it is the lip that you filed down, how much did you need to take off? Did you make it perfectly uniform to the notches on the top sides (left and right) of the endlinks?

Thank you for the reply Sir! Much appreciated and great information! Just a quick question….what part of the endlink did you file down? Is it the raised lip in the centre that sits on the slotted area of the Apollo mid case? I’m assuming they designed it this way to get rid of the tabs / wings that were on the sides of the previous endlinks. Also, if it is the lip that you filed down, how much did you need to take off? Did you make it perfectly uniform to the notches on the top sides (left and right) of the endlinks?
Check this to see what needs to be done:

https://www.oysterinfo.de/en/omega-flat-link-bracelet/

I filed down the raised Edge along the bottom and those two "tab" looking things. My process was to use a wheel on a Dremel and make sure everything was very well masked, then I sanded rough edges down so that they would not scratch the case, test fit, and removed more material as needed. I probably test fit it four times or so.

Here is what they look like now.

1000011064.jpg 1000011063.jpg 1000011062.jpg

The end link sits very firmly against the case and has no play at all and isn't "too low" as it would be using either a 1.6 mm spring bar or a 1.8 mm Spring Bar on a modern 3861 case.

20240219_221133.jpg

If you're curious about the addition of the micro adjust that is something mamy competent Jewelers should be able to do for you but the proper drill bit is 0.9 mm. I used a small drill press, a little template, and cobalt bits at low speed.

1000011065.jpg
Edited:

I just thought of this….do you think that the solid steel bezel from the new generation 57 series would work? Does it have the same spacer?

Mr. Scarecrow Boat? Anybody?
This is well beyond my scope, so I won’t be of any help. You can try to find an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account to see if the 57 bezel has any associated parts numbers for a spacer. That still leaves the question of compatibility and I’m not sure if you’ll find an answer.

Hey everyone! Sorry for the late reply here and yes, thank you guys for all of the super informative and detailed replies. Very much appreciated!