Forums Latest Members
  1. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Found an bunch of old watches from my grandfather who passed many years back.

This is one of them, can anyone tell me anything about it? I know its a Omega Seamaster, not sure if its solid gold or not, but can't find it online it's quite interesting that the strap is like see-through.
    Movement still works perfectly which is surprising because it's old as f*ck, but looks really dusty from the inside (I presume because was in a cupboard for 20+ years) and I don't assume this watch has been serviced before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. LesXL Jan 13, 2022

Hello and welcome to the forum

Nice finding you got there. The watch is probably a pre-Seamaster, before they start putting the Seamaster on the dial.

There seems to have a goldsmith hallmark on the lug (top left one) which could indicate the watch is indeed in gold. You'd need to take some sharper pictures of it to get better feedback from some of ours expert members on it.

Serial number and movement reference will be marked on the movement itself, so it will be good to share some pictures of that too to bette help you with approximate date and assessment.

Great bracelet too!

Infernus likes this.
  3. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Hey thanks for fast reply, what do you mean by "Serial number and movement reference will be marked on the movement itself, so it will be good to share some pictures of that too to bette help you with approximate date and assessment." How do i see the movement?

And sure ill take better pictures now.

4. LesXL Jan 13, 2022

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough!

Pull need to open the case on the back of your watch to display the movement of the watch. As an example, here is the one from my SM calendar:
    A: is the caliber number
    B: is the serial number ( allowing by searching the internet to date your watch approximately)
    IMG_20210905_112710~2.jpg

Infernus likes this.
  5. MrFriday* Jan 13, 2022

This watch seems to be a solid gold one. Regarding the movement: looks like a "top-loader", so the watch does not open from the downside but instead the plexi has to be removed.

Infernus and Mark020 like this.
  6. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Here is more pictures.. pretty sure on the bottom it says waterproof but its very faint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 13, 2022

For sure a front loader. You can't open that yourself

Infernus likes this.
  8. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Have no idea how to do that, and honestly don't want to risk breaking it seems super fragile

9. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Have you guys seen a watch like this before? Seems super rare to me I can't find online anywhere

10. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 13, 2022

The dial is repainted. So: indeed rare because it is a unique example...

Badwolf and Infernus like this.
  11. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Are you sure? There's quite intense cracking on the dial and even dust inside.. don't think it's been repainted

12. ConElPueblo Jan 13, 2022

Hi Mate.

Your watch is a ref. 2849 Omega Seamaster Calendar. It has been repainted at some point which is why it is missing a lot of dial text and minute markers. It most likely has a cal. 503 automatic movement.

The caseback is a snap-on and can be opened with a blade, but if you haven't got any experience, I would suggest going to a watchmaker.

13. MtV Jan 13, 2022

It definitely has been, might be quite a while ago though. As @ConElPueblo said, there’s a whole lot of text missing and the font is also off. There were times when people weren’t as obsessed with originality as us nerdy bunch is nowadays. Still, a classic solid gold Seamaster, you could certainly do worse regarding finds among your grandfathers old stuff. :)
    Getting the caseback off is an easy job for every half-ok watchmaker, but I’d +1 the advise of not doing it yourself if you have no experience. A steel blade on a soft 18k case isn’t the best place to learn, really.

Infernus likes this.
  14. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

Great thanks guys, is this watch worth anything? Its a bit too small for my wrist, (not gonna sell it anyways)

15. Infernus Jan 13, 2022

I presume that it has a value due to the fact that it's gold.. but not sure if it makes sense weighing it as im sure that the other components of the watch also will add weight to it changing the value of it

16. MtV Jan 13, 2022

You’ll need to have a watchmaker remove the movement/dial, then weigh only the case and the caseback. That’ll give you the gold value. Add maybe 150€ or so for parts, that’ll give you a rough idea. Might be a little more, but not significantly. The memory is likely more valuable.

Mark020 and Infernus like this.