Forums Latest Members
  1. michael e Still learning. Oct 18, 2014

One of the things I like most about old watches is finding watches with history or watches connected to a event or person in history, when I saw this up for sale I did a quick Google search and found this> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mottershead
    When I find a watch like this I like to make a bit of a hobby out of doing the research.
    The watch itself is older than any Omega wristwatch I have owned. The bezel is nickel plated underneath and looks like it has been polished on top reveiling brass and may even be a replacement although it does snap into place like it was made for the watch, the rest of the case doesn't look plated so I have my suspicions, Yann is probably the man who will know.

Condition is not my concern with this watch, the history is. I wonder if this was Thomas Mottershead's watch? I know it might seem obvious with his name on the back :thumbsup:
    The date of the watch seems to be right, the engraving looks period and his service number 1396 is correct.
    Any help would be appreciated if any member's could point me in the right direction for research purposses. I have already contacted the Omega museum but because of the age of the watch I am not holding much hope for a archive. A photo of him wearing the watch would be nice but I do not hold much hope of finding one.
    Sgt Thomas Mottershead VC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Varasc, TNTwatch, UncleBuck and 2 others like this.
  2. cristos71 Oct 18, 2014

Brave, brave man and a lovely and very historical watch indeed. It amazes me that these things are allowed to leave the family. I hope you manage to find a picture of him wearing it.
    My grandfather was mid-gunner in a Lancaster bomber and I treasure the photos I have of him together with his crew and plane.
    Have you contacted the squadron he flew for? Or perhaps the Aircraft museum in Hendon could help out somehow. Good luck with the research anyway and let us all know how you get on.

3. michael e Still learning. Oct 18, 2014

Thank you for the reply.
    When I read what men like these did on all sides of war I find the bravery astounding, It is hard to imagine given the easy lives most of us are lucky enough to have these days. I will look into his squadron and will contact the Hendon aircraft museum.
    Thanks Mick

cristos71 likes this.
  4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 18, 2014

5. michael e Still learning. Oct 18, 2014

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 18, 2014

Good luck with your research. Many years ago I spent a lot of time researching an old Glasgow made pw, the help received from many quarters was truly amazing. Certain you will find the same :thumbsup:

michael e likes this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 18, 2014

The fact that he was awarded the Victoria Cross will definitely improve your chances of finding out something. I think he was mentioned on a programme I was watching a week or so back but I can't remember if it was the History Channel or one of the terrestrial channels.

Good luck with the research, I'll wait to read more.

michael e likes this.
  8. Sherbie Oct 18, 2014

Also amazed that these sort of objects can leave a family ( even more depressing thought is that there IS no more family surviving!)

agree, Henden, Duxford, or even contacting the Imperial War Museum themselves might be your best leads

best of luck, Paul

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 18, 2014

I am in the process of selling an old silver pw and an owner at some point inscribed his name and address on the innards. The hours I have spent trying to trace descendants all to no avail. Would have loved to be able to hand them a little bit of their family history.
    I know how I would feel should that ever happen to me.
    Truth be told it would probably be someone handing me some unpaid family debt :(

10. michael e Still learning. Oct 18, 2014

I have already sent a email off to someone who has said he will make the family aware of the watch, I am hoping for a happy ending with this one, it will either go back to the family or will be auctioned off and any profit given to the fundraiser here> http://www.mottersheadstatueappeal.co.uk/index.html
    Cheers Mick

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 18, 2014

Good on you Mick. :thumbsup:

12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Oct 18, 2014

Nice watch. Is it a 13lignes caliber Inside?

I have one with a similar case and case serial 5503XXX, so from the same period. I also have another of the same design with case serial 6110XXX, so produced later. On both the bezel looks thinner than on yours (that's also the case with the catalog picture) but it's difficult to judge on a picture and there were several references at the same time so it does not indicate a replacement bezel. Difference in colour can result from cleaning of the case.
    An extract from the 1917 catalog :
    [​IMG]
    A 1916 advertising showing the variety of references :
    [​IMG]

The hands style of yours ('plume' in French - feather) is never depicted on catalogs but I have a cushion cased Omega wristwatch from the same period (case serial 5494XXX) with the same style. One can however never be sure that it is not a later replacement or a modification made by a jeweler for his Customer.

TNTwatch and michael e like this.
  13. michael e Still learning. Oct 19, 2014

Thanks Yann.
    I knew you would be the man to know.
    The movement is 13 lignes.
    The bezel does seen thicker than the others I have seen, there is usually a space around the minute track but this does not have one.
    Thank you for the catalogue photo also, I love that chronograph.
    Thank Mick

14. michael e Still learning. Oct 29, 2014

I will be auctioning the watch with any profit after costs going to the Thomas Mottershead statue appeal here> http://www.mottersheadstatueappeal.co.uk/
    I really want collectors to know about the auction so it can raise as much funds as possible as I believe it is a very worthy cause, I'm not looking to make profit on this and will of course donate a good amount if the watch does not go for well over what I paid for it.

I have spoken to the Omega museum regarding the watch which is reference number 185.13 produced on the 17/05/1916.
    Cheers Mick.

A bit of history>

Thomas Mottershead was born on 17 January 1892, one of a family of 10.Mottershead married Lilian Bree on 10 February 1914, and was working as a garage mechanic when World War I began. Prior to enlisting in the Royal Flying Corps on 10 August 1914 as a mechanic,Mottershead had studied engineering and had been apprenticed as a fitter working in Halton Widnes.He was posted to the Central Flying school at Upavon and was promoted to Sergeant on 1 April 1916.

In May 1916 he began pilot trainingand in June of that year he obtained his Flying Certificate.He was posted to No.25 Squadron at St Omer, flying the FE 2, on 6 July 1916 and saw action in the Battle of the Somme.

Distinguished Conduct Medal

One of his first operations was low-level bombing raid on a German anti-aircraft battery which he successfully destroyed. On 22 September, with 2/Lt C. Street as observer he bombed the railway station at Samain, destroying one ammunition train and strafing another. While climbing away from the target, their aircraft was attacked by a Fokker scout. Accounts of the engagement indicate that it was Mottershead's skillful manoeuvring which enabled Street to shoot the enemy aircraft down. For this action and other displays of gallantry, Sgt Mottershead was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and promoted to the rank of Flight Sgt. He was then transferred to No.20 Squadron at Clairmarais.

Sadly the award was announced posthumously on 14 November 1916 this was awarded to his widow.

Victoria Cross

On 7 January 1917 near Ploegsteert Wood, Belgium, Sergeant Mottershead was on patrol in FE-2d (serial number A39) with observer Lt. W E Gower when he was engaged in combat by two Albatros D.III of Jasta 8. Lt Gower managed to hit one and put it out of the action, the second Albatros however, flown by German 'ace' Leutnant Walter Göttsch (20 victories), hit Mottershead's aircraft, with the petrol tank pierced and the machine was set on fire. Enveloped in flames which his observer was unable to subdue with a handheld fire extinguisher, the Sergeant was badly burned but nevertheless managed to take his aircraft back to the Allied lines and made a successful forced landing. The undercarriage collapsed on touching the ground however, throwing the observer clear but pinning Thomas in his cockpit. He was subsequently rescued but died of his burns five days later.

Mottershead was awarded the only V.C. ever awarded to a non-commissioned RFC officer during the First World War.

Citation

"For most conspicuous bravery, endurance and skill, when attacked at an altitude of 9,000 feet; the petrol tank was pierced and the machine set on fire. Enveloped in flames, which his Observer, Lt. Gower was unable to subdue, this very gallant soldier succeeded in bringing his aeroplane back to our lines, and though he made a successful landing, the machine collapsed on touching the ground, pinning him beneath wreckage from which he was subsequently rescued. Though suffering extreme torture from burns, Sgt. Mottershead showed the most conspicuous presence of mind in the careful selection of a landing place, and his wonderful endurance and fortitude undoubtedly saved the life of his Observer. He has since succumbed to his injuries.

TNTwatch, Stewart H and flame like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

Where are you auctioning it?

16. michael e Still learning. Oct 29, 2014

eBay mid November , I just need coordinate the time with the appeal fund managers.
    Thanks Mick