Forums Latest Auctions Members

Here is a very interesting one...

1. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2019 3:11pm

A buddy asked me if I had ever heard of this racing team and then showed me this watch.

1980-1983 with these specs, but the movement dates to 1972, which makes the movement insanely interesting.

Automatic
    Column wheel chrono
    Flyback
    Day Date
    28,800 bph
    100m WR
    Black PVD case or Titanium...
    Bi directional Bezel with count down and compass markings, and internal tach markings.
    Promethium 147 lume

To me that's very very impressive, but it gets stranger.

It did not have the watch companies name on the dial, but it had a Former F1 racing Teams logo on it, one that was no longer active... (OK this may be wrong as the same source claims the movement was from 1972-1980... which puts it in production in the 3 years the team was in F1)

Oh its a Citizen... citizen-walter-wolf.jpg

https://vintagecitizenwatches.com/2014/12/14/citizen-walter-wolf-chronograph/

Wivac likes this.
  2. MRC

MRC Sep 13, 2019 5:16pm

I did know someone I could ask, but he died a few years ago (nine years ago already!). Peter Warr, team manager. But I doubt he would have done anything about the supply other than going along with the marketing folks ideas.

From Citizen's PoV it coul have been a way of shifting old stock perhaps?

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Foo2rama

Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2019 5:57pm

Even outside of the production period. It’s an interesting watch and a very interesting movement I was not aware of.

As for the source.. he appears to contradict himself alot in various articles... So the dates may not be correct, or the team may have still been in operation for a few years in support of support for other mfg's. Much the way Lotus ended up doing work for everyone and anyone for awhile.

Edited Sep 13, 2019 6:17pm
  4. rob#1

rob#1 Sep 13, 2019 8:11pm

Wolf Racing... that brings back memories, some great drivers (Jody Scheckter, James Hunt, etc.) and an F1 team that won their first ever race.
    Great looking watches though, I really like the titanium/blue combination.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. MRC

MRC Sep 14, 2019 11:41am

Don't think so, he sold the business to the Fittipaldis. The story of WWR from the man himself can be found here: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/january-2015/80/lunch-walter-wolf

Edited Sep 14, 2019 1:32pm
    Foo2rama likes this.