Need Advice on Legitimacy - Bought an Omega Constellation

Hey all,

I just recently bought an Omega Constellation, apparently it is a 1957 with ref 2852-13 SC, says it has a 14k yellow gold capped bezel and lugs, and it is stainless steel with a professionally restored matte black dial. The shop said it was in pretty heavy on the restoration - DSCF7253_420ea993-a7b4-4c55-9b2f-f14b6721868b_1024x1024@2x.jpg

It is triple signed.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Incorrectly professionally restored dial. Very heavy polished case, to the point where much of the detail on the case is gone.

Pictures look very overexposed, which tends to hide some of these flaws.
gatorcpa

Incorrectly professionally restored dial. Very heavy polished case, to the point where much of the detail on the case is gone.

Pictures look very overexposed, which tends to hide some of these flaws.
gatorcpa

Ooof, it is an incorrect dial! That's unfortunate, can this be correctly replaced, or corrected I wonder?

Ooof, it is an incorrect dial! That's unfortunate, can this be correctly replaced, or corrected I wonder?
Omega could likely refinish the dial for you to a high standard, but it would be very expensive, and any refinished dial - even one that is well executed - destroys the collectible value of the watch. The diminution in value is also compounded by the heavily polished case and that too cannot be undone. If you are concerned with originality and are able to return the watch for a refund, I would do so unless you are happy wearing it as is (most people would never recognize that the watch has been refinished).

Omega could likely refinish the dial for you to a high standard, but it would be very expensive, and any refinished dial - even one that is well executed - destroys the collectible value of the watch. The diminution in value is also compounded by the heavily polished case and that too cannot be undone. If you are concerned with originality and are able to return the watch for a refund, I would do so unless you are happy wearing it as is (most people would never recognize that the watch has been refinished).

It looks nice - I like it for sure, how much would you all be willing to pay for something like this if you were me, considering these points and the cost of the redial, take in and out of consideration?

Most collectors would not purchase such an example. Again, this really only matters for your purposes if you intend to resell the watch at some point. If you like the way that the watch looks, just wear it and be happy with it.

It looks nice - I like it for sure, how much would you all be willing to pay for something like this if you were me, considering these points and the cost of the redial, take in and out of consideration?

Welcome to the forum. Is there a possibility of returning the watch? Some people want a shiny, clean looking vintage watch and don't have much concern for originality. If you are in that camp, that is 100% OK. Since you are here, I think that is not the case. The more you learn the less you will like this watch, so I suggest returning it now if you can. Returning this watch to near original condition is not really possible. Best of luck to you.

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?!?!?!?

I think he's trying to express his shock ('OMG') at the brand name 'Omega' on the dial...

OM e G a 😲

omg.jpg

They have certainly crossed a line there for me......😉

Is it the crystal or do you think they have had two goes at printing the dial?

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?!?!?!?

What @Dan S is trying to say @blopkinz is that there are some errors in the reprinting of the dial - the cross hair should be to the left of the 'L' and through the centre of the star.
It also looks like there is double printing - but it could be crystal distortion.

A good gold-capped black dialled 2852 would probably be worth around $2000
With the redial and the heavy polishing, the seller has turned a $2000 watch into an $800 watch.

As above - If you like it then keep it and wear it, no-one except watch nerds would know the difference - but it you want originality/authenticity, return the watch if you can and look for a better example.

I agree with what everyone here said. Also, sellers that do this type of "restoration" are targeting a specific customer (people that want shiny thing hence the over polishing) and tend to charge multiples of what the watch is worth. To me, a good condition 2852 is probably $2k. I can see a seller charging $5k for this watch because "it's in such nice condition".

Please tell me you didn't pay $5k for this watch.

the seller has turned a $2000 watch into an $800 watch.
I assume the OP paid a little bit more...

To reemphasize a point that I made earlier, having the refinished dial refinished again to a higher standard is possible, but not ultimately worth the expense. It won't significantly improve the value of the watch.

It's just my opinion as a watch nerd. 99.9% of people would just say you have a nice watch.

What @Dan S is trying to say @blopkinz is that there are some errors in the reprinting of the dial - the cross hair should be to the left of the 'L' and through the centre of the star.
That was not me, but I agree. 😁