Forums Latest Members

NASA Strap on my Speedmaster 69

1. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

Hello everybody!
    This is my first post on this forum, thank you all for the opportunity!
    I have a speedy, used to be my fathers 1st watch, he bought it between 68 and 69! When my oldest brother born.
    My dad’s gave his Rolex GMT to my oldest brother and I received his speedy when I turn 18 22 years ago!
    When I received the watch it was stuck, the chrono stop at 1 o’clock and didn’t moved at all. It was difficult and expensive to repair.ñ so after a few years I finally managed to bring the speedy back to life a few years ago and did a fully service on it. The watch still working beautifully without any problems during the last 8 years.
    I don’t use the watch too much and I don’t know why to be honest, but i look at it every single day to remind my Dad and the special moment we lived when he gave it to me, specially now that we both live apart from each other in 2 different countries for a few years now. It was his first present to me, the one that I will always remember. That is why for me the watch is so valuable! His first watch and my first special watch too :) and hopefully will be my first special watch for my daughter too.
    Now I was thinking about buying the omega nasa Velcro strap but I’m not sure if the strap fits the watch as I was reading that the newest model is wider than the one I have, is this info right?
    Does anyone have an oldie with the nasa replica strap? (The omega one).
    Is is too much difference comparing the other replicas? Apart or the price of course!
    I am attaching some pictures to Introduce my baby to the community. All the best and thanks for your help and I really hope to continuing reading your histories here!
    I’m looking forward to hearing from you,
    Kindest regards,
    Luis
    PD. Sorry for any grammar mistake I made, English is not my first language as you may see :)
    Have a lovely one,
    L

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Jas and Om3ga321 like this.
  2. gdupree Aug 19, 2020

The lugs on your Speedmaster are 20mm wide, the same as any modern Speedmaster. So, any modern 20mm strap will fit it just fine.

Some additional words of interest;
    - Your father likely purchased this watch in 1969 or later, since this model wasn't produced until after 1968.
    - The brown dial is a relatively rare and very attractive feature to most people.
    - The current bezel and hands are modern replacement parts (presumably the crown and pushers as well). You probably had this done when you had it serviced by Omega. If they gave you the original parts back, make sure to hang on to them because the bezel at least is likely to be rather valuable.

Were in good health and with the happy memories of your father. It is a great watch.

Edited Aug 19, 2020
    Jas likes this.
  3. YY77 Aug 19, 2020

Luis Leon likes this.
  4. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

5. YY77 Aug 19, 2020

He shuts his site temporarily Every now and then to catch up with the orders he received, his site offers a notification when he opens up for new orders. You'll only have to wait till beginning september to order, it's worth the wait IMHO.

6. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

Will do Y, thanks a lot !!!

YY77 likes this.
  7. YY77 Aug 19, 2020

Make sure you know your wristsize upfront (tape measure), lugwidth speedmaster should be 20mm and lug to lug (state in the notes its for a Speedy pro and he will know). Takes about month to get the customerservice strap delivered.

Luis Leon likes this.
  8. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

Excellent; taking notes many thanks honestly... Now i know is a pro :)

9. Jas Aug 19, 2020

Thank you for sharing, Luis! That is an amazing watch and I hope it gives you years of pleasure.
    Stay well! :)

Luis Leon likes this.
  10. Jas Aug 19, 2020

Just remembered, Jason Statham did a film (the follow up to ‘The Mechanic’?) where he had a Speedmaster that was inherited from his father. Crazy film, but I remember spotting the watch and getting all excited ;) Check it out.
    (I’m making the assumption that your father is not a highly trained contract killer....)

11. gdupree Aug 19, 2020

Well, if we're making suggestions on which NASA style strap to buy - then none are more authentically reproduced than those by Kizzi Precision.

Luis Leon likes this.
  12. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

Hahahaha, no way I will be watching that movie right now.... thanks a lot G, my dad, well he is just a trained killer but he just work on freelance Jobs hahahahaha, joking.....

13. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

Thanks a lot Jas.... :)

14. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

It looks great too, absolutely going for one of those rather than the omega one :) great advice.... thanks pals

gdupree likes this.
  15. Marsimaxam Aug 19, 2020

Great looking watch and I think it will look marvelous on NASA strap. There are a few companies that offer them besides Omega, and I’ve seen them in black, white and green.
    You can wear them a couple of different ways, wrap around your wrist or double loops the strap like I did... very light and very comfortable.

B4E33E63-38E5-4313-9795-54AB318FD261.jpeg 02281C00-4861-407D-B996-D9E94304A176.jpeg 6BBB8EAD-2A6A-4EE7-98EA-B3014C911B16.jpeg
    Luis Leon likes this.
  16. Luis Leon Aug 19, 2020

Thanks bro, I love the look of your speedy, which brand the strap is?

17. Marsimaxam Aug 19, 2020

The strap is an Omega NASA strap

Luis Leon likes this.
  18. Pazzo Aug 19, 2020

Luis Leon likes this.
  19. Luis Leon Aug 20, 2020

Beautiful!!!! Thanks a lot ....

Pazzo likes this.