My wife killed a spider today!

We met over 30 years ago and she just told me she killed a spider this morning. This is the first time that I know of that this has happened.

Based on the thread "not everything in Australia will kill you", this might be a uniquely American phenomenon. But I suspect there are many other partners throughout the world who are the designated pest controllers. If so, I wanted to give you hope that one day you will not be startled by sudden blood-curdling screams and have to rush to the sound prepared to defend against a home invasion, only to see the tiniest black spot on a wall, ceiling or floor. (The conversation goes something like this: "What's wrong?!!"..."There's a SPIDER!"..."Where?"..."Right there!"..."Where, I don't see it?"...""Right there, hurry before it gets away!".. ""You mean that little spider?"..."Little?! That's not little! Just kill it!")

Unfortunately, I have no tips or advice on how to turn your spouse into a spider killer. She just announced in a matter of fact, by-the-way comment (she actually said, "by-the-way, I killed a spider today.") I told her she deserved a certificate, to which she said, don't do anything special. I told her it was no problem, I've had one prepared and ready for years. (I don't think this helped.)

In thinking back, I did notice a wierd change recently. About a week ago we were sitting together in the living room, me watching watch reviews on YouTube and she giggling at animal videos on Instagram. When I pulled up the Longines Zulu GMT review, I told her I was thinking about getting this watch and she looked up at the TV and said "that's nice, I might want that!"

I was shocked, as this also had never happened. I then told her I was trying to decide between the new Hydroconquest GMT and the Zulu GMT. I pulled up a picture of the Hydroconquest and asked her whether she liked the Zulu or Hydroconquest better, to which she replied, "that's too much watch stuff, don't press your luck..."

I can't prove these two events are connected but they are both so monumental that they couldn't be random coincidence, right? Something must have triggered this.

Anyway, I think I might be getting a new watch!

Hope your weekends are going great.

Congratulations ... I guess. 😁

TBH, we are not really spider-killers. In fact, we have a couple of little jumping spiders that are basically pets. One lives on our front door and I would be a little sad if he/she weren't there to welcome me home.

Those annoying Miller moths are another thing entirely. They do not belong inside the house.

I've been waiting for such a day (the spider killing thing) in our household for decades as well, but so far no luck. If Mrs. Jones has issued the kill command and she is watching, I HAVE to kill it, but if she isn't watching I try to find a way to get it out of the house in good enough condition to continue on its spidey way.

BTW I have the Zulu Time in 42mm and found that it wears very large and very heavy, and I will likely release that one back into the wild also.

Look up arachnophobia in Wikipedia and my wife is the poster child. I try for live and let live. Here is my fearless fly, wasp and spider killer. IMG_7416.jpeg

I've been waiting for such a day (the spider killing thing) in our household for decades as well, but so far no luck. If Mrs. Jones has issued the kill command and she is watching, I HAVE to kill it, but if she isn't watching I try to find a way to get it out of the house in good enough condition to continue on its spidey way.

BTW I have the Zulu Time in 42mm and found that it wears very large and very heavy, and I will likely release that one back into the wild also.

The 39mm seems like it might work for her. Fingers crossed. 👍

Look up arachnophobia in Wikipedia and my wife is the poster child. I try for live and let live. Here is my fearless fly, wasp and spider killer. IMG_7416.jpeg

My wife might be open for a trade, me for your dog?

Unfortunately, I have no tips or advice on how to turn your spouse into a spider killer. She just announced in a matter of fact, by-the-way comment (she actually said, "by-the-way, I killed a spider today.") I told her she deserved a certificate, to which she said, don't do anything special. I told her it was no problem, I've had one prepared and ready for years. (I don't think this helped.)

I could use your wife's help with my invasive pests...

PXL_20230827_150303447_exported_9919.jpg

I could use your wife's help with my invasive pests...

PXL_20230827_150303447_exported_9919.jpg

Oh, my wife is okay with anything with fur. Besides, your "ridgeback" and terrier look like they have it under control. Plus, she'd likely try to run off with your terrier, so you'd still have the bear and one less dog.

Is that an empty beer bottle next to your visitor? Maybe I will come and help 😁

Is that an empty beer bottle next to your visitor? Maybe I will come and help 😁

Up until a moment prior, that had been the Hummingbird Feeder (full of sugar-water, go fig...)

if she isn't watching I try to find a way to get it out of the house in good enough condition to continue on its spidey way.
i typically transport them out with the aid of a water flume.

While I do not go out of my way to kill spiders A few of them have disappeared into the vacuum cleaner. Today.
Others show up in the shower. Sometimes they climb up. Sometimes the fall down.

There are black widows and tarantulas out in the garden and the work shed. (She shed?) I usually let them be. Used to see scorpions back when we had a woodpile for the fireplace. Before such things were banned.

Every now and then we get a cricket in the house. Those things are LOUD. Usually I trap them under a glass or jar and set them outside for the birds or other critters to eat.

Then there are the killer-koi. Saw one eat a bee onetime. There is an electric fence around the pond. A gopher or squirrel fell in, which is what gave them that nickname.

Lost most of the grapes this year as was not proactive getting the holo tape up. Nature feels that such things are put there for the benifit of the gophers rats and squirrels. I once watched my mom decapitate a gopher. Never knew she had it in her.

The lizards however are cute. And they also eat the spiders.

We met over 30 years ago and she just told me she killed a spider this morning. This is the first time that I know of that this has happened.

Based on the thread "not everything in Australia will kill you", this might be a uniquely American phenomenon. But I suspect there are many other partners throughout the world who are the designated pest controllers. If so, I wanted to give you hope that one day you will not be startled by sudden blood-curdling screams and have to rush to the sound prepared to defend against a home invasion, only to see the tiniest black spot on a wall, ceiling or floor. (The conversation goes something like this: "What's wrong?!!"..."There's a SPIDER!"..."Where?"..."Right there!"..."Where, I don't see it?"...""Right there, hurry before it gets away!".. ""You mean that little spider?"..."Little?! That's not little! Just kill it!")

In thinking back, I did notice a wierd change recently. About a week ago we were sitting together in the living room, me watching watch reviews on YouTube and she giggling at animal videos on Instagram. When I pulled up the Longines Zulu GMT review, I told her I was thinking about getting this watch and she looked up at the TV and said "that's nice, I might want that!"

I was shocked, as this also had never happened. I then told her I was trying to decide between the new Hydroconquest GMT and the Zulu GMT. I pulled up a picture of the Hydroconquest and asked her whether she liked the Zulu or Hydroconquest better, to which she replied, "that's too much watch stuff, don't press your luck..."

I can't prove these two events are connected but they are both so monumental that they couldn't be random coincidence, right? Something must have triggered this.

Anyway, I think I might be getting a new watch!

Hope your weekends are going great.

Are you sure it’s the real wife…… the aliens haven’t abducted her and left a shape shifting alien facsimile in her place???

Early on in my relationship with the future Mrs Krogerfoot, she brought a two-and-a-half-foot mullet (the fish) to my apartment to make stew and sawed off its head in the kitchen sink. She has me killing cockroaches when they appear in the house, but more in a delegating-tasks way rather than out of squeamishness.

I have never been able to figure this out with women - and to be fair, it's not ALL women, but certainly many of them. Case in point. My significant other is a CEO. I've watched her stare down and intimidate some pretty aggressive other parties in negotiations, meetings, etc and she is a force to be reckoned with, but when it comes to insects she's like a 4 year old who just saw the Abominable Snowman on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for the first time and thinks that he's real. i just don't get it.
OIP.C3ismZ40LXUFNejD3PSshAHaFj

I had a girlfriend that every time she saw a creepy crawly she who’ll break out into the spider dance…….you know that impromptu involuntary uncoordinated jig to the accompaniment of strange high pitched sounds, that some people do.
I’d have to drop whatever I was doing and drive over to deal with it.

I have never been able to figure this out with women - and to be fair, it's not ALL women, but certainly many of them. Case in point. My significant other is a CEO. I've watched her stare down and intimidate some pretty aggressive other parties in negotiations, meetings, etc and she is a force to be reckoned with, but when it comes to insects she's like a 4 year old who just saw the Abominable Snowman on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for the first time and thinks that he's real. i just don't get it.
OIP.C3ismZ40LXUFNejD3PSshAHaFj

That's partly what makes it more incomprehensible and annoying. My wife also has business responsibilities as the Treasurer for a utility company with an annual 4Bn in revenue. I can hear her discussions on the phone, since she works alot from home; she doesn't get intimidated. She was also in the Army and rowed crew in college, (not to mention going through child birth!) She should be ripping the legs off spiders and chewing their bodies for protein, (which a childhood friend used to do.) It’s not rational.