Forums Latest Members

My travels to Japan, and my search for Nina

1. demchocholips Sep 4, 2017

I bought my 105.012-66 CB at Kame Kichi in Nakano Broadway a few years back. It was an incredible deal. The shop priced it only a little higher than the nearly new 3570.50 Speedmaster sitting next to it. The 105.012 had a perfect DON bezel and came with a 7912 bracelet and 516 end links. I couldn't believe my luck. The good luck continued when I arrived back in the US. I declared the watch to customs. The officer told me that charging duty was at his discretion. He appreciated that I was honest and let me go without paying any duty.

2. Watchmutt Sep 4, 2017

Thank you for posting. This is another reason I need to take a trip to Japan for the first time next year. Did your girl friend's mom's boyfriend say if the shops expected customers to haggle on the prices? Wondering if the actual selling prices are a bit below the stated prices.

3. Travelhomedad Sep 23, 2017

Amazing story and congrats! I would love to find a 105.012 myself. Hope I can find a cheap fly and go search for one too.

demchocholips likes this.
  4. mikechi22 Sep 24, 2017

I've heard both 'yes' and 'no' responses to your question about haggling. I'd like to think it would be OK because all the list prices I've seen are so high, but I think there's a cultural taboo that says "um, no." My barber is Japanese...hmmm...I'm going to ask him!

5. Zhikiat Sep 24, 2017

Thank you so much for the great pictures! It is really very generous of you to be sharing, and of course taking the time to compose the thread.

6. patinacrown Oct 17, 2017

on the basement floor there is a shumai shop that is to die for.

7. Moadib Nov 13, 2017

Fabulous write up, with so many pictures. Huge thanks for that. Will be in Tokyo next month, so making plans to visit :)

8. boltman Nov 13, 2017

Great post

9. HiddeninAihara Dec 12, 2017

Hey everyone, sorry I am so inactive. I am kind of a wanderer. Omegaforums seems like it has awesome people on it, but it's difficult to upkeep.

If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to ask them. You have been all kind of answering eachother's questions. I think it in terms of all used/pre-owned environments.. I don't think haggling or rather "negotiating," is a rude thing. Now I am not Japanese, so I could be completely wrong. I wasn't really there to buy, only to wear and oggle. Maybe when I have money, I'll come back there and I'll let you guys know how they handle my negotiating skills.

10. HiddeninAihara Dec 12, 2017

Thank you Melanie!

11. HiddeninAihara Dec 12, 2017

2020 is going to be a gongshow, Japan is going to be probably flooded with people.

12. HiddeninAihara Dec 12, 2017

I'll be gunning for 2- 3510.50's next time I return to Japan. Send me some of that customs luck my way

13. Vanallard Dec 28, 2017

Great post - I'm heading to Japan this Spring and will try to find time to visit these shops.

14. SuperHero Jan 6, 2018

Absolutely amazing. I could have spent days just gazing at these...heck, I just spent minutes per photo! Thanks for sharing and I will make a note of it should make it to Japan again.

15. SaintMickey Jan 6, 2018

Thanks for posting....thats amazing and very dangerous! LOL
    I find that Rolex seem to be priced high due to their love of the brand...other brands there are some deals! I might be wrong...
    I saw a Breitling Cosmonaute for about $2700 that I would have bought for sure...among others!

16. SteveZ28 Jan 6, 2018

What an awesome post! Thanks for taking us along on the journey! I wish i would have known about these places when I did my ski trip to Japan a few years back! I guess this gives me a reason for a second time around!

Ps. Japan, some of the most amazing snowboarding I have ever done. Thats saying alot coming from a Canadian that lives in the Rockies......

17. Moadib Jan 7, 2018

I visited Tokyo in December, and had some time to spend at Sunway in Nakano, as well as browsing the west side of Shinjuku, and the Ginza area (Lemon-sha, and some of the bigger brand shops). Was thoroughly enjoyable! Japanese culture tends to promote things being cared for, as well as on the retail side customer absolutely indubitably is king. So the watch condition tends to be good, and the service in shops is exceptional. Great selection of watches available, and especially in Nakano I think each store has to try and find their niche, so a lot of really good choice - one store upstairs had a superb collection of Nomos watches for sale, more or less every model which was totally unexpected for me.

Going back in a couple of months for a longer trip, so hope to spend a bit more time in those stores as well as out by Ueno area and some other places I have in mind. Will try to remember to write up - this might be a good thread to record good places to go.

(Only one purchase in Japan was a really nice 3572.50. I hadn't intended to buy anything, but I'd been looking for hesalite front / sapphire back, and with the older movement (yellow, rather than rhodium)). There did seem to be a huge number of Speedmaster reduced on sale - about 1:1 with the number of Speedies I saw. I wondered that with Japanese being on average a little smaller, perhaps the Reduced sold especially well there. But anyone after a Speedmaster Reduced, Tokyo at a time of good exchange rate (weak yen) might be a place to go.

18. Seacow Jan 7, 2018

fantastic post! That 40s 3 hands Longines only 2275 USD? OMG.....There is a dealer in US wants 8k....::facepalm1::

Xed likes this.
  19. craigbythesea Jan 13, 2018

Great post. Really impressed that you thought to take the photos. I'd would have been to excited to think.
    Just found out, I have my first business trip to Japan. I was excited about that but after reading your post I am super excited.

20. Sherbie Mar 2, 2018

This is an updated list of some of the shops i found in Nakano in Oct 2017 - truely wonderful

NAKANO Station (on Chuo and Sobu Lines)

3rd Floor

Jackroad *** and Bettyroad (for ladies)

Kami Kichi

Daikokuya

Good Watch (v close to jackroad) sells parts, dials, bracelets etc - opens late from 1-8pm - sometimes!!!

NJ time - new and used

Ippukishi - 2 stores , one in corner on 3rd floor and one on ground level

Kame Kichi

Renzu

Onomax

Bella Monde

Samurai - old watches, dials and a few fountain pens

Cheese Penne Ltd

On 1st floor

Daikokuya - on left (by escalators)

Ippukishi

In Mall before entering Nakano Broadway

Twc - the watch company - new and used

I have other lists for Shinjuku area if any one wants this too

Cheers paul

jimmytf86, mikechi22 and R3D9 like this.