Forums Latest Members

My third Certina, the 1959 Certina DS

1. georgeszaslavsky Mar 8, 2020

Good Morning

Hunting on ebay can be tricky but if you have the lucky hand, you might be able to get rare items. I managed to get a very rare 1st gen Certina DS at a bargain price. The seller's notes were the following :"It is the 1959, end of production DS model.This model reference number is: 5806 012. It is the 1959, end of production DS model.This model reference number is: 5806 012 The rarity consists in the fact that this model has the swiss patent but does not have the turtle back case yet. This model type was produced for only a few months in limited numbers before the turtle back case was introduced. Movement is correct because it corresponds to the last batch of production of Certina DS models.The rarity consists in the fact that this model has the swiss patent but does not have the turtle back case yet. This model type was produced for only a few months in limited numbers before the turtle back case was introduced."

Have a nice sunday

Very best regards

Georges

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ConElPueblo Mar 8, 2020

Very well preserved - the gold plating on DS' are prone to flaking off like no other vintage watches I've come across. That sharp stamping on the rear is looking great too :)

janice&fred and georgeszaslavsky like this.
  3. georgeszaslavsky Mar 8, 2020

You are absolutely correct, they are very underrated watches but offer top notch quality movements and great engineering for the money.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 8, 2020

Congrats, George, but not close to being "very rare". I like the 1st Gen. DS without the turtle back, and have several. They appear now and again, so one only needs a bit of patience.

More broadly speaking, all of the early DS represent terrific value, especially relative to the absurdly overvalued Polerouters! :D

5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 8, 2020

Congratulations. They’re great watches and still very affordable.

georgeszaslavsky likes this.
  6. Canuck Mar 8, 2020

I have two Certinas with the Kurth-Cetrtina movement that your’s has. I consider that movement to be on a par with many quality watch movements from other suppliers of the era. Beautifully finished, even behind the dial, and with all the features you could want on a quality watch.

georgeszaslavsky likes this.