Forums Latest Members
  1. pkaye6 Dec 31, 2022

Back in the late 68 or 69, when deployed overseas, I purchased my first good watch. It was an Omega Speedmaster. Later while on other deployments I acquired two Rolex watches but, this is about my Speedy. I wore it daily with other watches rotated in occasionally but, the Speedy was the most comfortable and thus it got the most wear.
    Years later after I mustered out of the military, I was the victim of a burglary on the day before Veterans Day and lost all three of the watches, I was carrying a pocket watch that was my grandfather’s that day for which I’m extremely happy.
    Over the following years I was able to replace the Rolex watches but, never found a replacement for the Speedy. I did purchase a Speedmaster Reduced to wear and just carried on.
    This past November, the day before Veterans Day, I walked into the local Jewelry Shop that I had purchased the Speedmaster Reduced at to see what they had. There were two long, glass cabinets filled with many Rolex watches and one lonely Speedmaster Professional. It looked very much like I remembered my old Speedy looked. I had told the owner of my Speedy journey when I purchased the Speedmaster Reduced a couple of years before and he remembered. I was pretty sure this one was not exactly the same as mine but, it appeared very close, and I just had to have it. After the purchase was complete, he said it would be cleaned and I could pick it up in a few days.
    Here are some pictures of the new to me Speedy and even though I know it is probably not all original I’m very happy with my acquisition. One question, when I removed the back to get the serial number, I noticed there was no dust cover, I’m guessing it should have one correct?

DSC_0023.jpeg DSC_0031.jpeg DSC_0038.jpeg

I've since gifted the Speedmaster Reduced to a close friend so now two people are happy over a Speedmaster.

DSC_0057.jpeg
  2. nkhandekar Dec 31, 2022

I am sorry to hear that your watches were stolen. Myself, and others on this board have had that happen and know what it feels like. Looking at the date of your deployment (68/69) and the date on the inside of your new Speedy case (69), I would say you now have a pretty close cousin to your original watch. I am no Speedy expert...the dot over 90 bezel and the stepped dial look nice. It looks at first glance you have done well, but I will let the experts weigh in. Happy New Year

Thommas, SC1, Duracuir1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan S Dec 31, 2022

Looks pretty much original to me at first glance, certainly everything important is there, except for the missing antimagnetic dust cover. Congrats!

SC1, Duracuir1 and pkaye6 like this.
  4. pkaye6 Dec 31, 2022

Is there a particular dust cover that I should be looking for?

SC1 likes this.
  5. Dan S Dec 31, 2022

I think that the type with the large nipple in the center and the beveled outer edge would be period correct, but the modern service part with a raised button shape in the center will work fine. Incidentally, the dust cover is necessary to hold the movement in place, so it's important. They really should not have sold you the watch without it, although it's not a huge cost.

6. Cougar1968 Dec 31, 2022

Sad story but glad you finally replaced your Speedy!

Thommas, SC1 and pkaye6 like this.
  7. pkaye6 Dec 31, 2022

Found this for sale, sorry about the poor picture but, does this look like the anti-mag cover I need? s-l1600-1.jpeg

8. pkaye6 Dec 31, 2022

Thank you for the responses, the dust cover is inexpensive enough I'm going to order it and hope for the best.
    Happy New Year to all at OF

9. pkaye6 Jan 1, 2023

Should I not wind and wear this watch until I replace the anti-mag cover?
    Thanks for you assistance in this matter.

10. Dan S Jan 1, 2023

That appears to be a compatible dust cover, although it's obviously hard to see much in that photo. Without the cover, the movement can potentially flop around inside the case as it is moved, especially from dial-down to dial-up positions. You might get away with it, but the most conservative thing would be to leave the watch resting dial down.

bikerfox, bardamu and Shabbaz like this.
  11. pkaye6 Jan 1, 2023

Thank you, that is what I'll do until the cover is in place.
    Happy New Year to you
    Pacha

bardamu and Shabbaz like this.
  12. pkaye6 Jan 9, 2023

This is the anti-mag cover I acquired for my Speedy. Does it look like the correct one and what should I watch out for during installation?

DSC_0068.jpeg DSC_0073.jpeg

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2023

Yes, that’s the right one for a Speedmaster...there are several different ones for all the watches Omega made with these. Should just fit snugly on the enlargement ring. Apply some silicone grease to the case back gasket before installing the case back again...

janice&fred likes this.
  14. pkaye6 Jan 9, 2023

Thank you for the assistance. I can now enjoy my Speedy again.

15. pkaye6 Jan 14, 2023

IMG_7389.jpeg

All back together and on my wrist where it belongs. Many thanks to all who helped me get this back together. :)

Geezer, MDubs, Retsamaes and 5 others like this.
  16. pkaye6 Jan 18, 2023

Another question if I may? When I purchased this Speedy the dealer told me the original 1039 bracelet with 516 end pieces were fragile and very expensive to replace. He gave me an 1175 with 640 end pieces. The watch looks good on the 1175 but, I really like the 1039 much better. Is the 1039 really that fragile and if I had an issue with it is it really that expensive to replace or repair? I know, a real first world problem. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

17. Wlcutter Jan 18, 2023

Gorgeous watch and great story--nice conclusion, too.

The 1039 isn't what I'd consider fragile. It's old, and it's less substantial than modern stuff, but I personally have never broken an old bracelet, particularly not a 1039. In terms of replacing it: yeah, it's expensive to replace ($1500 or so, last I checked). Regardless: just enjoy it, and wear it in good health. A whole lot of Speedmasters (and Seamasters, etc) were worn *very* hard, for years, on 1039s.

pkaye6 likes this.
  18. Seacow Jan 20, 2023

Hi there,

Very nice 69 speedmaster! Congrats! But I think the dust cover should be a small nipple one. See picture.

1524.jpg
    pkaye6 likes this.
  19. Morlock Jan 20, 2023

Thanks for sharing your story.

Wear your new "old" speedy with health.

pkaye6 likes this.
  20. pkaye6 Jan 20, 2023

Thank you for your input, I chose the one I got based on this site.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-dust-cover-evolution.13504/

Your thoughts on this please. I'll gladly look for the correct one once I understand which of all the possibilities would be the correct one. Again, thank you for your knowledge sharing.

OOps, my bad. I went back and re-read the page and you are correct. I'll start my search for the correct cover and keep this thread updated on my progress. Many thanks.

Edited Jan 20, 2023