My Omega Service Timeline

The original damaged dial you sent to Omega appears to be a "re-dial." It's probable that at some point your Dad was "upsold" on a redial service by his local watchmaker. On the original damaged dial, note how close the Omega name is to the applied logo, and note how the "3" does not align with the 15 minute / second rail marker.

My grandfather also had a 50s Seamaster and it ended up with a dodgy re-dial. My theory is a lot of local independent watchmakers in the 1960s -1980s "upsold" their clients on a re-dial when they brought their watch in for a mechanical service. These re-dials were clearly not Omega authorized as they usually look pretty sloppy.

Anyway, the Omega service came out great. Enjoy your dad's restored watch in good heath!

Not really an "upsell" but doing a redial during a regular service was a common practice back then. It was an expected part of a service if the dial was in any way damaged by water or other types of deterioration. If it wasn't done the customer would likely complain that the service wasn't done properly.

Just like polishing the case was considered part of the service, something now that I rarely do. Now the customer must ask for it.

People were not as concerned with keeping watches as original as possible - that is a VERY recent collector thing...and in the past people wanted the watch to look like it just came from the factory - that was the industry standard practice.

Not really an "upsell" but doing a redial during a regular service was a common practice back then. It was an expected part of a service if the dial was in any way damaged by water or other types of deterioration. If it wasn't done the customer would likely complain that the service wasn't done properly.

Just like polishing the case was considered part of the service, something now that I rarely do. Now the customer must ask for it.

People were not as concerned with keeping watches as original as possible - that is a VERY recent collector thing...and in the past people wanted the watch to look like it just came from the factory - that was the industry standard practice.

Thanks Archer. Any idea on what approach independent watchmakers used back in the day to create these ubiquitous, dodgy looking re-dials?

Did they reuse the original dial and have some sort of special mask that allowed them to paint the text? Or was the process like a car battery -- the watchmaker sourced a re-dial from an independent company but had to trade in the original dial for the exchange?

Thanks Archer. Any idea on what approach independent watchmakers used back in the day to create these ubiquitous, dodgy looking re-dials?

Did they reuse the original dial and have some sort of special mask that allowed them to paint the text? Or was the process like a car battery -- the watchmaker sourced a re-dial from an independent company but had to trade in the original dial for the exchange?

The dial was sent out to a company that would strip it and redial it. The quality of the redial varied considerably (still does with the companies that do this).

Non-update update:

Swatch Group updated their service tracking website. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but here is the before and after. Before was taken yesterday, after was taken today. Both were taken on the same monitor, same resolution, etc. I did redact my personal information, but you can still tell what information is where.

Before:
Screenshot 2023-08-13 133859.png

After:

Screenshot 2023-08-14 210314.png

I discovered from Google searches the Omega logo in the white box is supposed to be a picture of my watch. I don't know if my watch just didn't get a picture or if it is a permanent place holder because Swatch Group doesn't do it anymore.

Beyond the website update, there has been no updates as for as the service on my watch. I will update everyone as soon as I know more. This won't be updated in the main post, as it is not a true update on my Omega.

09/01/2023 - Communication update:

While at work, I got an email from Swatch. The email stated it was an 'updated' invoice for my Constellation. I clicked on it, wondering what it could be, and was greeted with the same exact invoice from 04/14/2023. I checked the CIS system, and everything appeared the same. After going line by line, I saw there was an added message to the bottom of it: "Upon approval of estimate the approximate delivery time is 9 weeks."

I approved the estimate and paid the invoice on 04/17. 9 weeks would've started 06/17. When I called Swatch in June, I was told estimated date of completion was October 26th. My assumption, the 9 weeks is if it stays at the service center in the U.S. and doesn't have to get shipped to Switzerland.

09/30/2023 - Service tracking has been updated:

Service Tracking
The estimated date of completion for this service is 11/05/2023. This date may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval.

A slight confession, I didn't check it last night before bed. It's possible it may have update yesterday and I missed it, but I'll put it for the day I discovered it (today). I have an official date per the service website! When I called Swatch in June, I was told October 26th and they would update my service tracking to reflect that. Obviously it never happened, and my new 'updated' time is November 5th. Which, about that, it's a Sunday? Do they make their watchmakers work on the weekends, or is it just a generated date by the system? My uneducated guess is probably the latter. Either way, still exciting to see something. I know it 'may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval', and I've read plenty of horror stories of a seemingly never ending date that is always pushed back, but I am still happy to see something.

11/21/2023 - Communication update:

On 11/08/2023, I sent an email to the Swatch customer service requesting an update on my watch. On 11/10/2023, I received an email reply back:

"The revised estimated completion is currently 11/05/2023. Please keep in mind this is a computer generated date, and the service can be completed beforehand. You will receive an email letting you know that the service of your timepiece has been completed."

I replied back on 11/10/2023, asking when I would see an updated one as that one had passed 5 days ago. On 11/14/2023, I received an email reply back from a different person:

"Thank you for your email and we apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered. Kindly note, that we have sent an email to our HQ regarding a service update. Please allow 24-48 business hrs to receive a response. Once a response is received we will give you a follow up call"

As of 11/21/2023, I haven't received a call back. I am going to wait until December to see if I get a follow up. If not, I'll call them after the 1st.

The first thing that caught my eye was 'revised estimated completion'. The online service tracker never listed a completion date, the only one I had was from my phone call to the Swatch Group back on 06/12 which was for 10/26. The second was 'computer generated date'. I had originally speculated that the completion date was computer generated, as it was listed for a Sunday.

12/05/2023 - Service Status Update:

Service Tracking
The estimated date of completion for this service is 01/30/2024. This date may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval.

While at lunch, I got the following email:

Dear Valued Customer,

Your job reference: [My name here]

In reference to the above mentioned service number, we regret to inform
you that due to current events and limited staff, we are unable to meet
the originally scheduled due date for the servicing of your timepiece.

We apologize for the inconvenience and assure you that we will do our
very best to return your watch by 01/30/2024.

Up to the minute status of this watch may be always be tracked through
our Customer Information System website,
https://www.swatchgroup-services.biz/SGUS using the service number noted above as the login and [REDACTED] as the password.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further
information and we thank you in advance for your trust and patience.

Sincerely,

Omega Customer Service

E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 877-839-5224

P.S. -Our service pricing and FAQ guide is now available and may be
viewed by visiting www.SGUSCustomerService.com

So, 30 days after the original due date, I have an updated due date of 01/30/2024. This feels like another computer generated one, so we shall see.

12/05/2023 - Service Status Update:

Service Tracking
The estimated date of completion for this service is 01/30/2024. This date may be revised based on spare parts availability and service capacity at the time of approval.

While at lunch, I got the following email:

So, 30 days after the original due date, I have an updated due date of 01/30/2024. This feels like another computer generated one, so we shall see.

Thanks for documenting your experience with Omega. I suspect the lengthy turnaround may encourage some folks to go the independent watchmaker route.

01/03/2024 - Service status update:

01/03/2024 Service in Process - Completed
01/03/2024 Service Completed - In progress

Service Tracking: [UPS TRACKING NUMBER]

The email I received:

Dear Valued Customer,

We are happy to inform you that your watch sent to our service center has been completed and shipped.

Tracking# [UPS TRACKING NUMBER]

Attached for your reference is a copy of the invoice.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service Department for assistance.

Sincerely,

Swatch Group, US Customer Service
E-Mail: [email protected] Telephone: 877-839-5224

Here I am, sitting at home, when I hear my phone ding for an email. I check it, it is the above email. I click on the tracking link, and it takes me to the UPS website. The package has left the New Jersey Service Center and is headed my way. Estimated delivery is Monday, January 8. Signature is required, and I can not e-sign for it, a resident has to be here to sign for it. They also sent me a final invoice as well, showing the final price for the service. No hidden surprises there, it was the same amount I authorized for. Now, to (im)patiently wait for Monday!

I sent them my flightmaster in July. June 2024 is the estimated completion time 😁

I sent them my flightmaster in July. June 2024 is the estimated completion time 😁

Hopefully you don't get a case of deadline creep like I got!

From when they registered it to service to the estimated delivery date will be 269 days.

I hope not either but from what I had heard of service timelines for watches that had to go to Switzerland for service I figured it would be about a year. Since 2021 I went with a pretty highly rated independent for a couple of other Omegas and had issues both times so I decided to go with Omega for the flightmaster as it will be my ultimate Omega (at least in my mind 😁)

Is there any specific reason you didn’t pursue a private watchmaker?

Why go with a professional when you can be tortured by the Swatch group for 6+ months and receive a little neoprene zip lock pouch with an omega logo on it?

Sorry I'm an independent watchmaker, allow me a little ribbing. Hope the watch comes back looking and running like new soon.

My 1977 Omega Seamaster De Ville was taken to the local Omega AD in late December 2022 and returned to me from its tour of Switzerland in late July, 2023. I knew going in about what it would cost & that it would be lightly polished.
My only regret was asking them to replace the strap. It's nice, it's brown, it's Vegan Leather! The Omega buckle from that overpriced strap now adorns a proper leather from Veblenist.
The watch looks new & I have the original parts in a bag included.
Overall quite pleased.
I have three older vintage Omega that I would not send to Omega for this overhaul, but the 1977 was a gift AND not a watch crying to remain "original".

This is certainly turning into a saga.

I have one watch, a Patek, which had to be returned to Switzerland which made me nervous as Patek has a reputation for long service times. I dropped it off in early October 2020 and got it back mid April 2021 which was a nice surprise.

269 days, and counting, is crazy.

20240105_130618.jpg

Just in from it's service! UPS delivered it while I was on my lunch break. More to come this evening!

Glad you received it safely and look forward to seeing some photos