Forums Latest Members

My New Daily Wearer.......deville Chronograph Cal 861

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2013

After some research and seeking for advice : http://omegaforums.net/threads/1985-omega-chronograph-caliber-861-what-do-you-think.5754/, I decided to take this Deville Prestige Chronograph cal 861and make it as new addition to my daily wearer.

First Impression:
    This Deville Prestige chronograph cal 861 ref 145.0050 is produced since 1993 according to Omega database. There is no mistake, this is a dress watch. The chronograph functionality does not change that. No sporty image come out from the watch.

The case
    The round stainless steel case with short straight lugs has simple yet elegant traditional look. There were two tone (SS/YG) and 18k solid gold available,too. It measures 36 mm without lugs and 45mm with lugs. The watch looks bigger than its size suggest due to its thin bezel.
    The case height is 12 mm and it looks thinner because the case back is slightly domed. In the outer caseback Omega script and logo is carved along with the watch serial number. The watch comes with either leather strap or bracelet. Mine is leather strap option which I just changed it to non-original black leather strap to give contrast with its silver dial.
    The watch wears comfortably and firmly in my wrist. Partially because the smaller size of the case. Bigger case usually slide around my wrist (My PO XL comes to mind) and makes me tired from frequent adjustment needed. The other reason is because the slightly domed case back. It give sufficient pressure to wrist without hurting.

Deville 861 front dial 1 LR.jpg Omega chrono back LR.jpg

The dial
    I got silver dial version. According to Omega Database this is the most uncommon with only 10% of the production. The 60% is white and 30% is black.
    The lay out is classic tri counters of 861 family chronograph. It has very simple and clean design. No fancy hour markers. No date. Even there is no Deville script on it, just applied logo and Omega script. I must admit the simplicity of the dial design really attracted me at the first place.
    Some people has difficulties reading silver hands and markers on silver dial, especially in bright light. Fortunately I don't encounter that problem. Reading in the dark is another matter. Without any lume presence, trying to read the watch in the dark is almost useless.
    Deville 861 front dial 2 LR.jpg

The movement
    Second factor that attracted me to this watch is its movement. It has the famous Speedmaster Pro moonwatch workhorse Lemania Cal 861. No further explanation needed as so many review and articles discuss and compare this movement. I think it is still one of the best movement around. Inside a 36 mm case, it looks very full. It's like stuffing V8 engine in compact car engine bay.
    Deville 861 movement 2 LR.jpg Deville 861 case back 2 LR.jpg
    Having this movement means we need to wind the watch almost everyday. A routine that I found very soothing and become an addiction by itself.

Conclusion
    Simple and elegant traditional design with mono silvery color in a relatively modern package driven by famous cal 861 movement workhorse makes this Deville Prestige chronograph a very promising dress watch for daily wear.

Jkuback, crd, flw and 12 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2013

Glad this one is on the wrist of somebody here. At the asking price, it seemed like a good deal.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2013

Thanks.....I am really glad with this one. Not really special but very pleasing to wear and nice sight to my eyes. My wife and kids agreed,too. A rare occurrence. Even my daughter wanted to borrow it.

4. ulackfocus Jun 2, 2013

Uh oh! :p

M'Bob likes this.
  5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 2, 2013

Well, she is very fond of my Suveran,too. She has 'borrowed' it several times, and gives me warning not to sell it ever :D .

6. Spy You know my name. Jun 4, 2013

That is a fine chronograph. And I understand what you meant about winding it. The winding factor is like resurrection of the watch for me.

Privateday7 likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 6, 2013

Picture of my current favorite daily wearers - black and silver - side by side in harmony:

favorite daily wearer 1.jpg

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2013

Nice pick-up. The 861 means this will be a desired piece in years to come.

fskywalker and Privateday7 like this.
  9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 6, 2013

Member Yande give this additional information based on AJTT: 18ct white gold bezel.
    Deville 861 AJTT LR.jpg

GregH likes this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 6, 2013

Thanks Steve. I am really pleased with my Speedmaster moonwatch and Speedmaster Mark II. So the first information that attract me when the seller offer this watch to me is the movement: Cal 861. Having good design package and attractive price makes it even better deal.

11. seadweller30 Jun 12, 2013

Great pick up. Looks superb :thumbsup:

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 12, 2013

Thanks..........

13. fskywalker Nov 6, 2016

Lovely watch, will love to own one of this

14. MPMcKeag Nov 7, 2016

They both look awesome

15. _Omega_ Nov 8, 2016

Love it. Wish I could find a clean vintage chronograph similar to that. I favor the 'flatter' style pushers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2016

So wassup wit da necrothreadia around here lately? ::confused2::

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  17. fskywalker Nov 8, 2016

Nothing wrong with that! [emoji1303]

Edited Nov 8, 2016
  18. fskywalker Nov 8, 2016

Was able to find a nice one for a reasonable price this week, incoming!

g3.jpg

Edited Nov 8, 2016
    Dogmann and MPMcKeag like this.
  19. fskywalker Nov 16, 2016

Just received my "new" Deville 861, sweet watch, nice size! [emoji2]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The deployant has the gold emblem, reference 94521853. Checked on web and seems to be a valid reference, never have seen one like that!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited Nov 17, 2016
    Dogmann and GregH like this.
  20. mattie Nov 17, 2016

Very nice looking watch. This has prompted me to look out for one, which would be my first Omega.

As an aside I have enjoyed reading this forum for a while, and especially the sheer depth of knowledge, but the other thread about politeness and introducing yourself pricked me into signing up and saying hello :). I have never really had a 'nice' watch, mainly because I always thought the more chunky ones (as they seem to be more and more these days) would look strange on my rather slim wrists, but that may change.

STANDY and fskywalker like this.