Forums Latest Members

1985 Omega Chronograph Caliber 861............what Do You Think?

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 29, 2013

Dear respectable members,
    My friend offered me this watch, Omega chronograph 38mm, Caliber 861. Looking at its serial number I believe it is from 1985.
    Any thoughts on condition, desirability, collectibility and market value? Thanks

Omega chrono front LR.jpg
    Omega chrono back LR.jpg
    Omega chrono side LR.jpg

Aria Wibisana likes this.
  2. ulackfocus May 29, 2013

Never seen one before, but at 38 mm I like it. :thumbsup:

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 29, 2013

hmm, caseback seems odd to me.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 30, 2013

I saw this in OVD:
    De VillePrestige

Gents' leather strap

Reference
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 861
    Created in 1968
    17 jewels until 1992
    18 jewels since 1993
    Formerly called "27 CHRO C12"
    Used on second generation "moon watches"

Functions
    Chronograph
    Case
    Stainless steel
    Case back
    Press-in
    Dial
    White (.600), silvered (.100) or black (.300), with 3 counters, 12 "arched “ hour markers and "triangle" hands.
    Crystal
    Scratch-resistant sapphire
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters​

[​IMG]

Do you think it is the same watch? The serial number is in 48 million range, which make it a 1985 production. OVD above state 1993 as production date. Mystery not yet solved.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 30, 2013

Ok confirmed it is Omega Deville Prestige Chronograph. It is 36mm not 38mm :(. The caseback is also genuine.

Brand : Omega
    Series : De Ville (International Collection 1993)
    Reference number : 4840
    Serial : 48301532
    Made : Swiss
    Features:
    Chronograph - Complicated watch with a function for measuring short time periods in addition to its function for permanently displaying hours, minutes and seconds
    Small Seconds – A hand on a sub-dial which tracks seconds; typically it completes a full rotation in one minute
    Movement : Caliber Omega 861. Manual winding chronograph movement
    Case : Stainless steel
    Crystal : Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
    Dial : Black
    Water resistance : 30m (100 feet)
    Size : Gents. Case Diameter: 36 mm

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 30, 2013

From another forum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2013

Its not bad, but its not great either, its one of those "if the price is right" pieces.

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 30, 2013

Do you think USD 1200 is right?

Jones in LA and citizenrich like this.
  9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jun 5, 2013

I have a 1996 Omega brochure with this model in it.. it is def later than 1985 in any case. I also have a 1984 brochure, you really don't want to see the collection from those days (with a few exceptions).

RJ

DaveK, Speedmasterfan88, Raid and 3 others like this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 5, 2013

Thanks RJ, OVD confirms it is produced after 1993. What make me confused first time is the serial number of 483XXXXX which in regular ETA based production falls in 1985 (including in AJTT).

However this is Cal 861, so it is better to cross reference it with Speedmaster S/N table and it is confirmed for 1995/1996 production year: http://chronomaddox.com/romans.html

11. yande Jun 6, 2013

Nice, I mean beautiful Chronograph. From what I can read, for anyone that has a copy of "Journey Through Time" page 547, bottom left. 18 ct white gold bezel? ST 145.0050 Not the greatest pic to compare in the book, but regardless, nice pick up, and I wish I had a "friend" like you, Privateday7!
    I may be mistaken, but the likeness is pretty well perfect to the image in the book, in my eyes.

Privateday7 likes this.
  12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 6, 2013

Thanks Yande. I have AJTT and I don't look at them until you remind me. Yes it is ST 145.0050 and the information about 18ct white gold bezel is a nice surprise to me.
    Deville 861 AJTT LR.jpg

yande likes this.
  13. yande Jun 6, 2013

That's cool. Nothing like a little bit of gold, especially white, to brighten ones day! Beautiful find.

Privateday7 likes this.
  14. Sgt_Bilko Jun 4, 2014

I know I'm late chiming into this thread and it's actually my first post on the forum but I bought one of these last week and it's a ref 48403100 with the silver hands on the silver face. It can be a little tricky to read the time compared my other watches but somehow that can be forgiven. It's definitely not a sports watch and I find it quite elegant but I'm just amazed at how little information there appears to be on the internet.

This is by far the newest watch in my collection of roughly 30 vintage watches and I was under the impression it was all stainless steel, so I'd be very happy if it turns out to have a white gold bezel. I have all the original documentation including the bill of sale, boxes and warranty card. It was first sold in 1997 and is an 861.

Karyl_Raw_140529_V5F7663.jpg Karyl_Raw_140529_V5F7678.jpg
    Geme81, Alimamy, Tako Yaki and 6 others like this.
  15. larryganz The cable guy Jun 4, 2014

I love those watches - beautiful.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Welcome mate. Those DeVille chronographs are an often overlooked piece but with a movement like the 861 in it, its a rather compelling choice especially in its price bracket.

fskywalker likes this.
  17. Sgt_Bilko Jun 4, 2014

I currently have 12 Omega watches but this is the first chronograph and the first 861. I found myself looking at a lot of Speedmasters but when I saw this it looked like the perfect blend of elegance with the terrific 861 movement. The case feels terrifically well made and heavy but I wonder how I can verify whether or not that bezel is white gold. This could be a nice watch for everyday wear.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 4, 2014

I wouldn't worry about the white gold bezel. It is there with the markers, however it will not affect the market value of the watch.
    Yours is exactly like mine, which I love it dearly until now.... an elegant and robust daily wearer.
    I saw your pictures, and wonder whether the hour totalizer reset to zero? Mine have that problem few months ago but my watchmaker easily repair it during the service.
    Enjoy your handsome chronograph.........
    Mine says hello:
    12 Deville Chronograph 861 front 1 (800x600).jpg

Geme81, Buster, Tako Yaki and 7 others like this.
  19. Sgt_Bilko Jun 4, 2014

I can see the bezel now like yours and it's quite slim but a nice touch. I have a couple Seamasters in stainless steel that both have a very large 18K yellow gold bezel.

Everything works fine on the watch including the chronograph. Those were some quick snaps I did not long after winding up the watch for the first time and I guess I tried the stopwatch to see it was working but it starts, stops and resets as it should. There are a few tiny marks on the hands that can be seen in the enlarged images but they can't be seen with the naked eye. The strap is a brand new Omega and I believe it's crocodile skin.

I asked the seller when it was last serviced and he said he didn't know but he took it to his watchmaker who tested the amplitude and claimed it was good so no service was needed. For the first few days it was gaining about 12 seconds a day but I've heard watches can be inaccurate for a few days after spending some time in transit with a courier. Yesterday morning I reset it and it has been absolutely spot on over the last 24 hours. Nevertheless I think this is a watch I'd like to keep so I should probably get it checked out. The winding action feels slightly stiff compared to many of my older watches but that may just be a reflection of the robustness.

I have several watches that I really like and it would be impossible to have a clear favourite but this is a handsome beast that feels really well made, yet right for almost every occasion. A lovely watch to wear every day and I'm only surprised that they seem to be so rare.

Privateday7 likes this.
  20. Sgt_Bilko Jun 4, 2014

Just as an afterthought what would be considered as good +/- seconds per day time keeping accuracy for an 861?