My new 39.5 Planet Ocean doesn't just beat the Submariner - it crushes it!

Before I go into this, understand I'm not a Rolex hater. I have owned three Rolexes. I wore my 5 digit Sub Date as one of my only watches for several years. I took it to Afghanistan and throughout Central Asia on operations in the early 2000s. I really enjoyed the watch, and like many Sub owners, my desire for it came directly from watching old Bond movies. It was always a tool watch to me.

Like many of you, I found watch forums, learned much more about watches, and expanded my horological knowledge. I have since owned a blue DJ41 and an Explorer 1 39mm. Both were sold. I was drawn to several Omega models, but I never liked the skeleton sword hands of the Seamaster 300. I figured a new Omega dive watch was not in the cards. However, I did buy my first Omega (an Aqua Terra 8900) three years ago. I still love it.

Earlier this year, I had been thinking about getting another Submariner. I hate the gray market craziness, but I still started looking. At the same time, I began noticing the Planet Ocean. It didn't have the skeleton hands, so I was immediately interested.

The biggest push came when I saw some detailed photos of a new PO and Sub Date side by side. The Rolex looks ancient in comparison. The Rolex STILL has no Anti Reflective coating (ridiculous). Of course it still has the huge, hideous cyclops. Its dial looks completely boring compared to the Planet Ocean. It was kind of like a light switch was thrown in my head, and I couldn't remember why I had been interested in the Sub. Add to that the incredible 8800 METAS movement, and I can't think of any reason to pursue a Submariner.

And please don't even mention the "investment" potential of a Rolex. Investment watches go into safes. My watches go on my wrist and into the real world.

Now that I have worn the 39.5 PO for a while, all my hopes have been confirmed. It is the quintessential modern tool watch, unequalled by any other brand. The PO completely crushes the Sub.

Had any offers to take your Submariner off your hands? If not, I am surprised!

Had any offers to take your Submariner off your hands? If not, I am surprised!
No, the Sub is long gone. I have no more Rolexes. I don't like them as much as I used to.

I know many people still like them, and that's cool of course. But I am over Rolex.

PO is taller, chunckier, but beautiful indeed. Personally I prefer submariner proportions and glidelock system.
Sub is an iconic and legendary (if not the most) diver design, on the other hand PO evolves its design every 4/5 years.
Retail prices are closer every year.
The submariner doesn't have date function nor cyclops (submariner date does), and new sub models have internal AR coat (not comparable with double AR coat on PO, anyway).
They are both incredible watches, but I prefer Rolex this time.

Lovely pics.... I own the 2500 PO and the 8500 PO and you haven't helped with the want for the 8800!

Lovely pics.... I own the 2500 PO and the 8500 PO and you haven't helped with the want for the 8800!
I really like the 2500, and I almost went that way when choosing my PO. I think you would also love the 8800!

I really like the 2500, and I almost went that way when choosing my PO. I think you would also love the 8800!

That's what I'm worried about!

I know that the cyclops is iconic, and it really does work well, but I think it looks like a big ugly wart on top of a nice watch.

I'm leaning toward an OP, but the height bothers me a bit. I get that it's a real diver's watch, and you need the case size for the pressure resistance, but aside from the fact that most of us don't dive (I used to) even those of us that do/did, likely wouldn't wear our $6.5K watch in the ocean, and if we did, we still aren't going to dive to 2000 ft.! OMG. You'd have to decompress for hours (if you survived in the first place).

So my point is, I guess, is how about an OP that's good for, oh, let's say 12 feet, so that we can take it in the pool. And have a smaller case.

Thanks for the nice write-up and pics, Doc.

I know that the cyclops is iconic, and it really does work well, but I think it looks like a big ugly wart on top of a nice watch.
Totally agree. You are right - the Rolex cyclops functions well, but it is an eyesore and doesn't belong on a high end watch, even if it's a tool watch.

I'm leaning toward an OP, but the height bothers me a bit. I get that it's a real diver's watch, and you need the case size for the pressure resistance, but aside from the fact that most of us don't dive (I used to) even those of us that do/did, likely wouldn't wear our $6.5K watch in the ocean, and if we did, we still aren't going to dive to 2000 ft.! OMG. You'd have to decompress for hours (if you survived in the first place).
I waffled for 6 months on the thickness of the modern OP. As a rule, I really dislike thick, bulky watches. But I have read SO many testimonials by 8800 owners about how the thickness was not an issue that I thought it might be ok. Certainly, we WIS are good at rationalizing our purchases. But I found very few people say they sold the 8800 PO because of the thickness. I agree that it wears well. It feels solid and hefty, but it doesn't feel bigger than my Sub Date felt.

So my point is, I guess, is how about an OP that's good for, oh, let's say 12 feet, so that we can take it in the pool. And have a smaller case.
That's what the Aqua Terra is for! 😁 At least that's how I justified my purchase back in 2018 😗

Thanks for the nice write-up and pics, Doc.
You bet! It is fun to brag about a successful watch purchase, especially when it works out so well.

8800 supposed to be thinner than the 2500 and 8500?

Great looking watch, I've been eyeing either this or the Seamaster 300m if my Rolex AD doesn't satisfy the order on the two tone Datejust that I ordered.

The Rolex submariner, and the Sea Dweller both have the same flaws as a modern tool watch. The hands are too small and are less legible than either the Omega 300M diver, or the PO. The small hands make it harder to read at a glance under water. The bezel on a modern Rolex rotates far too easily compared to an Omega. Although the smooth effortless clicks on the Rolex are marketed as luxury, this means the bezel on the Rolex has a tendency to rotate anonymously as they say, meaning your dive time will be shortened by the unintended rotation of the bezel. Also the Omegas feature the dual colored lume where the bezel pip and the minute hands are not the same lume color as the minute indices, and hour hand. This small piece of tech makes it easier to see your dive time while underwater. Choose any reference, Omega makes an excellent diver that really works.

hmmm..got to take a closer look at these smaller POs....I just noticed from your pic that it is a ceramic dial like the Speedy's DSOTM, which I love....

Nevertheless,...cant get pass the thickness and the manual He escape valve.....can that be replaced with an aftermarket screw that sits flush with the case?

hmmm..got to take a closer look at these smaller POs....I just noticed from your pic that it is a ceramic dial like the Speedy's DSOTM, which I love....

Nevertheless,...cant get pass the thickness and the manual He escape valve.....can that be replaced with an aftermarket screw that sits flush with the case?
But would your screw help at all when you are 1000 feet under water?!

haha jk

The ceramic dial also has the liquid metal process, which is tremendously cool.

The HEV was a small concern for me before I bought, but I rarely notice it while wearing the watch. In stock photos, it seems like this huge, unsightly growth. But on the wrist, it really melts into the background.