Forums Latest Members
  1. Seadoctor Dec 27, 2016

Hallo. I'm new of the Omega world but, browsing for a while on the internet, seems that this forum is the best place where I can find help to gather information about a watch I recently inherited from my grandfather.

The watch you can see in the photos has ref numbers 168.022 166.028 and calibre 565. It is a 24 jewels and his serial number is 29819134.

Nowhere on the web I was able to find any sort of information or image of this watch with this specific combination of reference and calibre numbers, not even on the official omega website.

Without any possibility of comparison I am struggling with verifying the authenticity of all the parts of the watch. As you can see it is worn-out by my grandfather's daily usage so I can't tell if, for example, the watch hands were ever changed before.

Probably it is never been serviced but my intention is to do so as soon as possible. The omega servicing prices are astronomical so I'll probably go to a local watchmaker I trust.

I'll appreciate any piece of information or advice you can give me about my new/very old watch. Thank you very much in advance.

IMG_3297.JPG IMG_3308.JPG IMG_3310.JPG
    Searching, noelekal, Etp095 and 2 others like this.
  2. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 27, 2016

Hi!
    You found the right place here ;).

I'm not entirely sure about it but I think I recently read here that this Seamaster was offered in two versions, the ref 166.028 as a basic version with the non chronometer movement 565 and the ref. 168.022 came with the upgraded chronometer 564 movement.

I think @ulackfocus can share some deeper knowledge here.

Cheers,

Max

Seadoctor likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Dec 27, 2016

Mate, you might think that the watch is worn-out, but I guarantee you that it doesn't look that bad, not at all :)

Incidentally, another new member has just purchased a similar watch as his first vintage Omega, have a read in that thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-first-vintage-omega-incoming.50078/

Your watch would definitely benifit from now hands and a good service, but the dial is looking mostly good and the case is looking very nice indeed with the correct brushing and no huge dings. A very, very nice watch :thumbsup:

Seadoctor, Vitezi and noelekal like this.
  4. Vicke Dec 27, 2016

A new crystal on that, and it will light up to a very nice watch.
    And you are right to take it to your local watchmaker, sending it to Omega would not only be expensive, it would probably ruin the watch as well.

Seadoctor and noelekal like this.
  5. Pvt-Public Dec 27, 2016

Here is my 168.022/166.028 with the 563 17 jewel movement.
    IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0022.JPG

6. WatchWarlock Dec 27, 2016

Better than most "Grandpa's watches" that we see here often. I believe I had the same reference awhile ago with the 565. Like others have pointed out, a new crystal and service from a competent watchmaker and it will clean up nicely. Personally, I would keep the hands, but you can try sourcing them on Ofrei or eBay if you want a restored look.

fskywalker, Seadoctor and noelekal like this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 27, 2016

Thanks for joining and posting and for the photos!

"...my new/very old watch."

It's not new/very old, but only new/sorta old.

It would be fun to see additional photos after you have it serviced.

Seadoctor likes this.
  8. Pvt-Public Dec 27, 2016

I would definitely try to find a handset, those rusted hands and way too short seconds hand look terrible. And, you know it needs a crystal.

Seadoctor likes this.
  9. Seadoctor Dec 28, 2016

I know it is non so old compared to others watches but it is twice my age, therefore from my point of view "very old" fits. :)
    Once serviced I will certainly post new photos, stay tuned.

10. Seadoctor Dec 28, 2016

@Pvt-Public @WatchWarlock Thank you for the answers. I have a doubt: the second hand, in your opinion, is the original one? Or maybe is it broken? Seems to me like it misses the back part. I have found no vintage seamaster with this second hand. The main part isn't short, the effect of the glass and the poor quality of the photo make it look like that, sorry.

11. vlaspri Dec 15, 2020

@Seadoctor same question, is the red second hand authentic or not? I've seen a couple watches with this one, but the majority of this case models have normal grey metal hands or gold-toned for gold cases.

12. Pvt-Public Dec 15, 2020

On mine the red seconds hand is original. This was my fathers watch and I know it was not replaced.

13. vlaspri Dec 15, 2020

Thank you! Now it all started to clarify in my mind! This is actually pretty strange for the solid gold case model to have such a sporty red second hand.

14. Pvt-Public Dec 15, 2020

I'm sorry mine is a stainless case