Forums Latest Members
  1. Shibata Dec 14, 2016

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and to watch collecting. I have learned a tremendous amount reading through the posts here the past few days. Thanks for that :) .

While browsing Ebay this past weekend looking at more modern Omega watches I stumbled upon a listing for a watch that I instantly fell in love with. It was listed as a 166.022. I did some research ( nowhere near enough ) prior to purchasing it and with about 1/100th of the knowledge required to make an educated vintage watch purchase I confidently hit "Buy It Now".
    It was listed as a 166.022. After doing some research I believe it is a 166.028. The picture of the inside of the case back isn't very clear and the Ref. number looks a bit suspect. Its really hard to see the numbers in the picture on the auction. Other examples of the watch I have seen have both 168.022 and 166.028 stamped on the inside of the case. We will see what mine has when it arrives on Thursday. A smart consumer would have asked the seller for a better picture of the inside of the case and the movement :oops:. Other than that, I believe everything looks ok.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts you might have on the watch.
    Here is a link to the auction if you would like to take a look.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network .

I will post some better pictures after it arrives.

I am having a great time reading through all of the posts here ( after I bought my watch of coarse ). Thanks to all of you any mistakes I may have made buying my first vintage watch will not be repeated. And if all is good with the one I have coming.....Whew :D

Etp095 likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Dec 14, 2016

I think it looks ok :)

The movement... Well, with those pictures, it's anyone's guess. The case is completely unpolished (great facets and original starburst brushing on the bezel) and has a few nicks, and the dial looks great. The hands aren't up to the rest of the condition, which is the biggest detractor, visually.

IMO, you did fine, especially for a first purchase :thumbsup:

Etp095, Vitezi and Shibata like this.
  3. Shibata Dec 14, 2016

Thats great to hear! Thank you for taking a look and for the info.
    I agree about the hands. They look better in some of the pictures than others. Hopefully they look a bit better in person.

I have been looking for a local watchmaker to bring it to for service. I haven't come across anyone yet. If anyone know of a good watchmaker on Long Island, NY please let me know.

4. Shibata Dec 16, 2016

I received my Seamaster today. It arrived with second hand ticking in even better than I expected :).
    It's been many years since I have own and wore a watch. I picked up a Hamilton watch a few weeks ago, which seemed to spark an interest. This one seems to have sparked an obsession. I am already researching my next purchase :)
    Here is a picture of it on my wrist. I will take some better photos soon.
    [​IMG]

5. TNTwatch Dec 16, 2016

Not sure about the original colour of the hour and minute hands. Can you find same hands on other examples?

The case reference, like you thought, should be 166.028, same case with model 168.022 so you can sometimes see the dual references in the back. If yours only says 168.022 then it's incorrect/franken.

The watch seems to be in very good shape otherwise.

dstern likes this.
  6. Shibata Dec 16, 2016

Thank You for the comments. I have been able to find a few with the same hands. Not many. One was on this forum. The case on that one was plated. I have seen the exact same combo on another forum and an old eBay auction.

I took the back off and both 168.022 and 166.028 are present. It's hard to get a good clear picture with my iPhone. I will keep trying. It seem as if everything looks authentic so far. I will try to get some good pictures later tonight.

Thanks again!

fskywalker likes this.
  7. TNTwatch Dec 16, 2016

Congats then for the all correct watch in nice condition, at a very good price to boot!

Shibata likes this.
  8. Shibata Dec 16, 2016

Thanks. Here are a few more photos. I couldn't seem to get my phone camera to focus on all of the print on the inside cover at once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

fskywalker and TNTwatch like this.
  9. SpeedyAV Dec 16, 2016

Nice buy man, looks great, enjoy it!

Shibata likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Dec 17, 2016

You did good :thumbsup:

Shibata likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 17, 2016

Looks like a nice example, but definitely needs servicing unless you have proof that it has been done. Evidence of a worn pinion on the rotor, so you can see wear inside the case back and on the rotor from it scraping. If you check the rotor you can see if it has a lot of play, like this one:

I would suggest finding someone who had experience with these movements, and if possible has an Omega parts account so they can get everything required to repair this. Parts are out there on the open market, but a lot of resellers are marking them up a ton compared to what they cost from Omega directly.

Cheers, Al

TNTwatch likes this.
  12. Shibata Dec 17, 2016

Al, Thanks for the suggestion. I do not know the service history of the watch.
    I think I see what you are talking about when I look at the pictures. I've been looking for a local watch maker to bring it to. I came across one that may look promising. I plan to pay them a visit as soon as time allows.

13. Shibata Dec 17, 2016

I forgot to add. Without the video I would have had no clue what you were talking about. Thanks!

14. Shibata Dec 29, 2016

I dropped my Seamaster off to be serviced last week.
    I can't wait to get it back. I am sure it is in good hands, but I can't help but be nervous that they are going to break it :(.

ConElPueblo likes this.