Forums Latest Members
  1. JD73 May 25, 2014

After inheriting a vintage timepiece, I've recently been bitten by the bug of collecting these older watches. I love the craftsmanship, history and look of these timepieces. I'll never again buy a watch with a battery, let alone one of those giant pieces everyone seems to be buying new these days.

In any case, recently rolled the dice on eBay. There was something I liked about the seller, even though this was one of the worst listings I've ever seenPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network.

In addition to the photos which didn't show much, it was listed as a speedmaster instead of a seamaster. But I had a good feeling and rolled the dice.

I took a look at the movement with my local watch guy. He said it looked good to him, all original and a 552. I did get the case number, but not the serial (kicking myself for that). Case number is 165003. He replaced the gasket, that was it (I'd like to find someone who is more knowledgeable/skilled on Omegas who could do a service).

I realize you probably can't tell me much without looking at the movement, but wondered how the group feels I did? It's ok if I got hosed . . . The seller seemed like a good guy, and I enjoy wearing the watch. I even like taking pictures of it. I think vintage watches are going to be my obsession for a long, long time regardless seamasterdialclose (1 of 1)-2.jpg seamasterrearcase (1 of 1).jpg seamasterdial (1 of 1).jpg seamasterrearcrown (1 of 1).jpg .

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 25, 2014

That was indeed a roll of the dice. And with pictures and a description like that, it may just have well been rolled with your eyes closed.
    Hope when the dice stop rolling you don't crap out...

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 25, 2014

I think you did OK. You had the good sense to stay away from the high-roller table. ;)

JD73 likes this.
  4. alam May 25, 2014

We'll wait for your own pictures and assessment on this one and sit and read the opinion from our other trusted friend from Jersey! :)

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 26, 2014

I'll add this: I believe the movement is (will prove to be) a 5xx series movement. Whether it has 17 jewels or more (and if it is in good shape), you will be the proud owner of one of the finest watch movements ever created. Inside OR outside Omega. So apologies if my comment was negative (I just re-read it and felt it might seem to be). I just personally need clear pics, inside and out, before I spend a couple C-notes on a watch. Best of luck, and be advised photos are an absolutely irrevocable requirement!

6. JD73 May 26, 2014

Thanks Time Exposure. And you're right, when we opened her up, it was a 552 movement. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, but will work on getting a good internal shot, just don't trust myself to open the case quite yet . . .

7. ulackfocus May 26, 2014

Okay, if it's a 552 movement I think you did well. I was worried it was a redial on a 591 or 50x caliber when I saw "1957 - 1961" in the listing since that should be the coathanger shaped S instead of the rounded S in Seamaster. The crystal needs a good polishing though. It's making the dial look horrible. The case should clean up well with a sympathetic cleaning and light buffing. Just don't ruin those case edges!