Forums Latest Members
  1. JD73 May 25, 2014

So after a couple of years after his passing, I've decided to begin wearing my dad's Longines. My mom bought it for him as a wedding gift around1956-57.

So far all I've done to this watch has been to put on a new strap. I'd like to have it serviced, but would love an opinion from some experts. I'm not going to sell it as a collector's piece, but is the consensus here to retain the original dial/patena as is?

It still keeps accurate time, but I can't imagine when it was last serviced. I'd at least like to have it cleaned . . . Any other recommendations when looking for a watchmaker to do a service (I can travel from Philly to NY easily)?

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions, or advice. The piece has gotten me into the appreciate of vintage watches, and since taking it out of the drawer a few months ago, I've already begun a modest collection of mechanical and automatic pieces. I can see this is going to be my next obsession . . longineswhole (1 of 1).jpg longinesclose (1 of 1).jpg longinesback (1 of 1).jpg longinescrown (1 of 1).jpg

orchidmansion and citizenrich like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 25, 2014

Very nice. I'd give it a full service and otherwise leave it as is. :)

3. ulackfocus May 25, 2014

If you're in Philly, Sam Kalter on 7th and Sansom is a good watchmaker and a good guy, plus he likes vintage Longines.

4. JD73 May 25, 2014

Dennis, thank you SO much . . . I'm in Philly almost weekly, but there are so many places on the row, it's hard to know where to start . . . And thank you, I do love photography, but this was just a quickie set with natural light while the wife was asleep. Any photography advice I can provide back to you guys I'm happy to do so!!

5. Stu-Silver May 25, 2014

This makes me smile, your on a very slippery slope JD, my story is very similar and I inherited my grandads 60's Seamaster auto which I did have to restore as dial was completely black. The whole thing gave me a great appreciation of vintage watches also and I also now have a more than modest collection of mechanical watches so beware! I love wearing my grandads watch at family occasions and it makes me smile and think of him.

Tritium likes this.
  6. orchidmansion May 25, 2014

Lovely watch that has a timeless quality due to its classical proportions! Your parents had good taste. Perfect with a dinner jacket.

I was just reading up about a Longines restoration on http://watchguy.co.uk/service-longines-calibere-12-68z/#comments, Christian's apprentice Mitka managed to do a decent restoration on a dial. I think it's going to be a risky effort and a flip of a coin for us amateurs to try, but I'm just fascinated at what can be done.

7. ulackfocus May 26, 2014

Inheriting my grandfather's 1940's rose gold Bulova was my start.

Some more on your heirloom: The case maker is Keuffel & Esser (K&E) and it's 14k solid gold. If Vegas took wagers on what's inside powering it, I'd be betting on a caliber 9L. The dial might have been refinished once already, so it wouldn't hurt to have it done again - but that's your decision. Ask Sam for his opinion, and tell him I said hi.

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 27, 2014

I think the K&E is Kaspar & Esh? At least that's how I remembered it, then found this website:
    <http://www.kasparesh.com/about/>

9. ulackfocus May 27, 2014

Could be. I remember seeing Keuffel & Esser on a link that was posted on the NAWCC forum long ago.

10. CdnWatchDoc May 27, 2014

I think Bryan is right on this one Dennis; Keuffel & Esser is a firm that specializes in precision equipment for engineers (slide rules, etc.). http://www.kasparesh.com/about/ contains info about their involvement as a case supplier for Longines during the Depression, as well as national distribution. They have changed their logo a bit, but one can see the similarities:
    [​IMG]

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 27, 2014

12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 27, 2014

I presume I get to choose a Longines of my choice from Dennis' collection, right? ;)
    Dennis? You're not laughing are you?

13. JD73 May 27, 2014

Wow, I had wondered about that, great to know that additional trivia. Looks like my next trip to Philly will be in mid June, will certainly send your regards to Sam. Thanks again everyone for the great info!

14. ulackfocus May 28, 2014

Looks like I gotta update my records!