Forums Latest Members
  1. Halldawg Nov 14, 2016

I purchased my first Omega here off the forum a week or two ago and I love it. Nothing big to start with. A vintage cal 1480, 166.0118, but a great place to start for me. The forum has been great to learn about the brand and watches in general. Great buying experience as well. Being a noob I have some questions, but will limit myself to one today. Do most people wear their best (most expensive) watches daily? I work in medicine and wash my hands all day in addition to typing way too much (such is modern medicine). I have been fairly rough on watches in the past. I tend to wear brands like Citizen and Seiko to work because I'm not afraid to get them banged up. So just wondered what most of you guys and gals do. I have larger purchases in mind for the future (or gifts from my wife would not be turned down) like the GSOTM, but that might take some time. Thanks for the forum and the wealth of information that all of you are willing to share.

GuiltyBoomerang and ahartfie like this.
  2. Bushido Nov 14, 2016

Congratulations on your first Omega!

I wear my nicer watches all day every day while treating patients with the only exception being if I'm going to be in on a surgery. Wear them and enjoy!

Also, pics are most certainly required of your recent acquisition; it's an unwritten forum policy.

3. Halldawg Nov 14, 2016

Ok, I will work on getting a pic! :)

4. Halldawg Nov 14, 2016

omega.JPG omega2.JPG

Changed the band to the darker one. Like it a lot.

Can I get in the hairy arm contest?

5. ossfm Nov 14, 2016

Welcome to the world of Omega. You picked the right place to buy. I did the same as you (joined to buy the first Omega). That's a nice watch you got.

As far as wearing the watch, I just finished looking through this thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/show-or-go.48478/

I think you'll find the consensus here is "wear that sucker" in good health :)

GuiltyBoomerang and Halldawg like this.
  6. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 14, 2016

Hi @Halldawg

The watch is on your wrist and looking great! I would recommend taking the watch to a watchmaker for service (if it hasn't been already) and asking for a water resistance/pressure test. Just gives peace of mind knowing that any adverse moisture won't get inside the watch. That said, most vintage watches can not be made waterproof, which is why you will see watch collectors running for shelter any time rain hits...

As for me, I work in childcare, so most of my watches that are 'nicer' tend to be for the weekends. However, if I know that I'm going to be doing some typing, I will wear something a bit more fashionable than my Seiko and TAG beaters.

Halldawg likes this.