Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Nov 12, 2016

On the face of it, tools are intended to be used for their functional purpose.

Yet, I have a friend who has a minty vintage car, and hardly takes it out. Doesn't this sort of defeat the purpose, or decrease your enjoyment, I asked? "No. I go to the garage, walk around it, admire it, sit inside, smell the leather, grip the wood wheel, ponder the history. Maybe I start the engine, listen to it purr, then go back inside- I am content."

What about you? MUST you wear your prize watches for enjoyment, or is taking them out for some limited air and admiration enough? Maybe with an occasional wind thrown in for good measure?

Do you follow the obsessive collectors' three-tier model: the best stuff never leaves the house; the medium stuff you wear at night or for easy outings, no yard work or pool cleanings; and the lower but still nice stuff, you wear with impunity? AKA, show, show and go, and go?

Jwit and RawArcher like this.
  2. watchlovr Nov 12, 2016

I wear it all.
    No exceptions.
    Only got 8 or so now, so no problem rotating.
    This was my plan and it has worked well.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 12, 2016

I wear them all.

4. Chef40 Nov 12, 2016

I have always worn all watches but depends on what I am wearing to which watch is worn.

chronos likes this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 12, 2016

I am still trying to figure this out.

I am finding I wear a few watches a lot because I work with my hands and they will probably get beat up and I don't want to care. I have other watches I put on when I get home and wear for the evening. Some I will wear when I get "dressed up" which is rare.

The rest may get sold. Some are going to be sold. At least I keep telling myself that...

Jwit and ahartfie like this.
  6. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Nov 12, 2016

Wear 'em, Drive 'em, Use 'em, Drink, 'em, Smoke 'em, Love 'em. I "show" in all cases, but the key is (for me) to Choose 'em with that in mind........

abrod520 likes this.
  7. jebula Nov 12, 2016

I only got 2 watches I use, then I got a couple displayed in my glass cabinet that I never wear. Don't know why I don't wear them, I think I just like looking at them there more than on my wrist. Besides they go so well together with Lagavulin bottles next to them.

Halldawg likes this.
  8. Ypsilon Nov 12, 2016

I wear only one for the moment!!

9. Chef40 Nov 12, 2016

I've always loved vintage watches but tend so sell one before buying another but always wear them although I regret a couple I've sold as will probably never get them again

10. abrod520 Nov 12, 2016

Wear them all. If it doesn't get worn often enough, sell it to someone who will enjoy it more than me.

In the case of vintage cars, while I don't own one, it would be driven regularly (most weekends probably) if I did. Old cars bring enjoyment not just to you when you drive them, but to onlookers who have the rare chance to see a beautiful old car. It's kind of a shame to hide it away where nobody will ever get the full enjoyment of it

Jonatan likes this.
  11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 12, 2016

Some people will only keep a watch if they like the look of it on their wrist (no matter how rarely worn). Some will be happy seeing it in a display case. Some will simply be happy knowing they own it and it can live in a safety deposit box. It takes all sorts........

I'm in the first category and I'd suggest that most "casual" owners/collectors would be there as well.

12. ulackfocus Nov 12, 2016

Watches were made to be worn. If I no longer wear one, I sell it.

Wine was made to be drank. If I've lost my taste for a particular maker, I sell off what I have.

Cars were made to be driven. I don't collect vintage autos, but I'd follow the same rule as I have stated above - use the product as intended.

...... unless, of course, you're running your own museum.

13. M'Bob Nov 12, 2016

So with rare or high-value pieces, they get worn without hesitation, with no fear of damage or devaluation?

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 12, 2016

Yup. It would be a shame not to.

Dgercp likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Nov 12, 2016

Why buy them if you fear wearing them? The pleasure in owning something is getting use out of it.

16. Jonatan Nov 12, 2016

I wear them all and when I get tired or start worrying about them I sell them! I'm not greedy enough to keep them for myself, how ever pretty and rare they may be, they were made to tell time and be worn.

17. M'Bob Nov 12, 2016

Collector-grade CK-2915: no fear of dingin' that bezel, huh?

18. ulackfocus Nov 12, 2016

Pfffft, Speedmasters.... ::facepalm2:: :rolleyes:

19. watchlovr Nov 12, 2016

With mine yes.
    If I owned the £7.7 million Patek that sold tonight, maybe not.

20. Ypsilon Nov 12, 2016

What is that 7.7 milion??