Forums Latest Members

My first Omega, the Railmaster, my thoughts

1. Digmac Aug 16, 2021

I got in my first Omega watch this past week, the blue dial Railmaster. Certainly, it's one of the more divisive models in the current Omega lineup, but personally, I love it. When I first saw the Railmaster with the blue dial, it drew me in a little more than the black and silver offerings. I think the choice to go with white Super LumiNova was the way to go. The "vintage" lume color suits the 1957 trilogy more in my opinion, but I admit it adds a little extra contrast on the neutral colored dials. Sadly I wasn't able to see and try on the piece in person before purchasing one. None of the Omega ADs within a 6+ hour one way driving distance actively stock the watch, so it would have to be ordered directly through Omega, with an unknown wait time, then I could come in whenever it arrived. I decided going used was the better bet, and I was able to find one for the price I wanted to pay, complete with boxes and papers. Not being able to see it firsthand, I wasn't 100% sure that I would be smitten with it, but getting it in and spending some time with it, my doubts are gone.

The dial is something that needs to be seen in person, under different lighting conditions. I think it's a unique, eye catching dial that can appear almost black, then have shades of dark blue, stone blue, and sky blue in different lighting. It really comes alive and shines. In my opinion, it slightly offsets the fact that it's printed, without applied indices. Having a brown second hand and brown "Railmaster" text on the dial provides some subtle color contrast. In terms of the case and bracelet finishing, I love the contrasting brushed surfaces that the Railmaster offers. You won't have to worry about fingerprints all over polished surfaces, and some of the hairline scratches/normal wear which pick up easily, especially on polished bracelet center links (looking at you AT). Brushing the watch in different directions and with different grains really gives the finishing some depth that I appreciate. Some might prefer a display caseback on this model, the solid caseback is extremely well done, proudly displaying the classic Omega Hippocampus which fits the overall aesthetic of the Railmaster in my opinion. A couple things I'm not a fan of is the bracelet clasp and adjustment. With no adjustment outside of links, and the fiddly dual clasp system, I find the bracelet to be a bit lacking compared to some other competitors, even at cheaper price points (I personally prefer the setup my Tudor has, as an example).

Movement wise, not much needs to be said. The COSC and METAS certified co-axial caliber 8806 is excellent, accurate, and very capable. Being able to own a caliber with a piece of George Daniels creativity at an attainable price point is something I give Omega a lot of credit for. Very easily, the co-axial escapement could have been limited to the handful of pieces that Daniels himself produced, putting it out of reach for a lot of people. With Omega taking it on and implementing it in a wide variety of their movements, it gives them some extra horological provenance in my opinion.

Anyways, these are my thoughts on the blue dialed Railmaster. Thanks for reading. :)

tMx1LqR.jpg jryBZtm.jpg DK3RHKd.jpg tC8lio0.jpg Ieu4A7O.jpg 9VqCxXx.jpg fO5aMxG.jpg 3M9j6uA.jpg

nitediver, santiago53, Abho and 17 others like this.
  2. Walrus Aug 16, 2021

Very nice write up very nice looking watch. Do you happen to know the lug to lug on the rail master? I actually reached out to someone selling a used one but I think it was only up for 8 hours then it went. Now I’m out of the game for a while as I’m doing some major home repairs that are sucking the life (well money) out of me but I really find myself looking at those railmasters with greater admiration. Anyway nice write up enjoy.

Digmac likes this.
  3. Digmac Aug 16, 2021

Hey man, the lug to lug on this guy is 46.6mm. It wears extremely well for me on my 7.25 inch wrist. Not too small, not too large, it's perfect. If and when the situation allows for you to pick one up, it comes highly recommended from myself. The value proposition is pretty strong on the Railmasters in the used market too. Cheers man.

Walrus and ChiefMark like this.
  4. ChiefMark Aug 16, 2021

Beautiful watch! Enjoy it. I agree that the Railmasters are sleepers; underrated. They would be much stronger Explorer competitors with applied numerals and indices, but would immediately lose some of their understated charm. I appreciate that they are unpretentious time pieces, perfect for the person who refuses to partake in flex culture but appreciates the fine design, movement engineering, and heritage of this line.

5. spe777 Aug 16, 2021

Lovely watch. A very underrated piece in Omega's line-up.

6. Walrus Aug 16, 2021

Ya, that kind of “simple ness” is what draws me to it. I’ve heard others who own or desire one use similar sentiments. The one thing that gets me a bit is the coaxial movement, just the servicing factor. I probably wouldn’t be able to use the few watchmakers I know. Well no sense stressing that which is not going to be happening soon I can enjoy it from afar for now.

7. ChiefMark Aug 16, 2021

One of the aspects of owning "luxury" timepieces that isn't discussed at the AD or very often anywhere is the total cost of ownership. It's easy to brush it off on the assumption that if you can spare 5 or 10 or 20 thousand dollars / euros to buy a watch, the service shouldn't be an issue. There's some truth to that, but for someone who saves up to buy that "one watch" they always wanted, it would behoove them to know ahead of time that every so many years - perhaps more frequently if you buy a diver and actually use it - you will have to get it serviced and that won't be cheap.

You can figure about $500 - $600 in today's dollars to get your watch serviced when it's 5-7 years old. It could be longer; it could be less.

chrisb732, Digmac and owl. like this.
  8. ducatiti Aug 16, 2021

Nice but I would go with a more dressy option? What would be the most dressy RM?

9. mrbreen Aug 16, 2021

Maybe the black dial on a strap. And I’m also a big fan of these. The denim dial is sharp. Nice pickup OP!

10. ChiefMark Aug 17, 2021

Any of them. Buy one on the bracelet and then pick up a nice alligator strap. Instant dressy.

11. Liner Sep 8, 2021

Nice review. I am contemplating the silver dial. I want a simple looking watch that doesn't stand out..Scheduled to see the silver dial at the AD in a couple of days. The AD had to get it from another AD. These are not readily sold as the demand is low. Just the way I like it. Not the most popular model within Omega for sure but that's what I am looking for. Quality work but understated and something that not many have.,

ChiefMark likes this.
  12. philips Sep 11, 2021

This is a terrific everyday, anywhere watch.

13. rkman11 Sep 11, 2021

One hell of a first Omega! And in my eyes, one of their best modern offerings. Wear in the best of good health.

14. haqq777 Sep 14, 2021

Great review. I love mine. My first Omega was a FOIS, but this Railmaster is quickly becoming my everyday now. I have the black dial although I think jeans dial is equally gorgeous. So comfortable to wear and such understated tones. The dials are so gorgeous with vertical brushing as well which I think can truly be properly appreciated in person. Had mine on bracelet but swapped with a good leather and watch simply blows me away.

20210913_220745.jpg 20210914_145755.jpg 20210905_115248.jpg 20210905_130407.jpg
    santiago53 and TimeODanaos like this.
  15. kev1976t Sep 15, 2021

what a beautful watch,
    Just lovely !

16. Dedlock Sep 16, 2021

this was my first Omega too, love everything about it, congrats and enjoy.