Forums Latest Members

My first ever vintage, my first ever Omega, I trust you guys - did I do alright?

1. DeepBlue Nov 12, 2019

I'd look for another piece to be honest.

But i would be annoyed wearing a watch with a redial.

2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Nov 12, 2019

To be honest, I’d have a redial in a nice case, with a clean movement, rather than an original but damaged/discoloured/ over patina'd dial. I wouldn’t wear a watch I didn’t like the look of.

Some redials, I’m guessing yours might be one, were redialled so long ago that the redials can be classed as vintage in their own right.

I might, possibly, take a different view if I liked and wore one of those watches with lots of subdials, where I find it hard to read the time much less spot any imperfections.

3. Eon Nov 12, 2019

When I opened it up, the regulator was smack dead in the middle. I regulated it a bit towards A to see how it helped but it wasn't enough. It's currently cranked as far as I will comfortably self regulate it and it's still gaining about a minute or two a day.

4. DON Nov 12, 2019

Have it serviced. Maybe just needs a good cleaning. Many of the bumper models use similar parts if something is needed. Some discontinued, but could still find them.

Even if you don't service it now. Still worth keeping at the price you paid

DON

5. jsducote Nov 12, 2019

Set up some alerts via Watch Recon & Watch Patrol and some auction aggregators like Invaluable & The Saleroom then be patient. I check Chrono24 for examples of references (some good, some bad) and all but ignore the pricing.

6. Edward53 Nov 12, 2019

Some very kind and tactful posts on here. I feel that honesty is kinder in the long run.

I would not bother spending anything on that watch. I wouldn't service it or replace the crown, I'd just use it as a beater and let it run into the ground as it's never going to be that great whatever you do to it. A better plan would be to live with it, go through posts on this forum, compare the watches on here with yours and in that way gather enough experience to identify good examples.

My first watch was an expensive mistake. It depressed me as this dawned on me, then I got over it and looked for something better. This one's cheap by comparison.

OMEGuy, DailyAdvancement and Noddyman like this.
  7. MikeMan2727 Nov 12, 2019

Agree with this here. $150 plus a service cost, plus a crown would put it near a price you could pay for an entry level Seamaster, like a 2846.

8. Eon Nov 13, 2019

Thank you for the advice. I think you're right that the money could better be put towards a better watch, especially one with a clean dial and no concerns about redials or other potential blemishes.

The recommendation for a 2846 was awesome by the way, I appreciate it. Sub-seconds Seamasters are my absolutely favorite. I'm glad I wont have to wait too long to get a nice clean example.

MikeMan2727 likes this.