My First Cal. 503 (Genève Calendar Ref 2982-3) in 18k

Good evening everyone,

My wife and I just picked up this Omega Genève Calendar that I think is from 1959 according to the serial number on the movement (17,1XX,XXX range). Based on my extremely limited knowledge on Omega reference numbers, I think this is a 2982-3. I have searched this forum and Google quite a bit, but can't seem to find much about this reference. There are plenty of posts about 2982-3 SC (gold plated) and the CK 2982 (steel), and I am hoping the hive mind can provide some information on this particular reference.

My chief questions are:

(1) Do the movement/dial/hands/crown look correct for this?
(2) Does a manufacture date of 1959 make sense? Any ideas how long this reference was made for? Any ideas on production numbers?
(3) How rare are the 18k Genèves compared to their SS and gold plated counterparts?
(4) Are you aware of any recent sales? The price we settled upon was kind of arbitrary because we could not find any recent comps.
(5) I have read a little bit that the "script" Genève is more desirable than the "print" Genève. Can you point me to any resources that could explain why that is? Perhaps some good links on this very forum?
(6) Is it possible to find a correct 18k gold clasp for this, or is that next to impossible? Right now it's on a strap with a SS clasp and I would like to rectify that.

My wife and I are very new to vintage omega, so any knowledge you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Edited:

Like 3
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

I’ll give this a shot to get started! There are various experts on these references here (disclaimer I am not one of them!)

(1) Do the movement/dial/hands/crown look correct for this?

The pictures aren’t the most high resolution but I’d say the dial looks original. The script looks clean, which is the most common issue with redials on these references. The crosshair looks fine too.

If you can provide higher resolution pictures where minute markers, scripts and Swiss made can be seen, it will be easier to confirm.

The crown is a replacement.

The hands likely too, as they are too long. I would have expected the minute hand to reach the minute mark but not beyond. Same for the second hand.

(2) Does a manufacture date of 1959 make sense? Any ideas how long this reference was made for? Any ideas on production numbers?

Makes sense indeed. It’s only indicative though, it’s not a purely exact science.

(3) How rare are the 18k Genèves compared to their SS and gold plated counterparts?

Not rare, but definitely hard to find in pristine condition. They come up from time to time for sale. Several have been sold on this forum over the years, mostly SS but also some solid gold. There are various on chrono24 and other platforms - with a large spectrum of condition and price.

(4) Are you aware of any recent sales? The price we settled upon was kind of arbitrary because we could not find any recent comps.

Have a look at te private sales on this forum and see if you can find some examples that are sort of close. You might not find a 2982 but there are other references with similar dials. Cases can vary slightly, and there are sub second, central seconds, date, no date versions etc. Worth extending the search to 14724, 14703 as well if you can’t find anything for 2982. And no date versions too. Just make sure you exclude the jumbo references, which command a premium due to larger sizes (2748 and 2904).

Example of one which sold recently: https://omegaforums.net/threads/reduced-omega-geneve-14724-18kt-cross-hair-dial.166468/

(5) I have read a little bit that the "script" Genève is more desirable than the "print" Genève. Can you point me to any resources that could explain why that is? Perhaps some good links on this very forum?

These early Geneve references are very attractive, simply speaking. Very classy and much better looking than later entry-level Geneve models.

Check this out:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-old-genéve´s-lets-see-them.59067/

(6) Is it possible to find a correct 18k gold clasp for this, or is that next to impossible? Right now it's on a strap with a SS clasp and I would like to rectify that.

It will be difficult and expensive to find an 18k buckle. Maybe you can find a period correct gold plated omega buckle. This could do the job.

Finishing with a picture of my stainless steel old Geneve:

033ac098-74b1-4408-950f-76a01388abef.jpeg

Like 1
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and thorough response and links LuckyLuke! I will be looking through them as I learn more about this watch. Your Geneve is a beauty as well.

Here are some additional photos as well from the sales listing.

Is the case rose gold?

The crown and hands have definitely a different color than the case - in fact they look yellow gold while the case looks rose gold but you will be the best judge of that.

The case has previously seen some polishing. Some of the lug facets have faded. That’s quite common with vintage watches unfortunately.

The dial looks original to me.

Like 1