Forums Latest Members
  1. kohster Nov 18, 2022

agreed that it's not worth it trying to make it look brand new on the outside. If it did it wouldn't look like the watch you remember IMO.

2. SkunkPrince Nov 18, 2022

On the other hand, someone who knows how to do a proper refinish vs some idiot who buffs a thing until its melted might do a bit to make it look a bit better.

My dad's watch was mildly refinished.

IMG_0987.jpeg

I asked for this one to have a mild refinish to correct a prior screwup.
    IMG_0512.jpeg

Please stop telling people they can't have a little buff from a competent watchmaker. Yes, I know some of them suck. I had one who completely ruined a case, and this was a CMW.

The case can be brightened up without making it look brand-new. My dad's watch wasn't all scratched up until he was much older.

Geme81 and Paedipod like this.
  3. kohster Nov 19, 2022

I don't believe that's what I said at all.

4. Dan S Nov 19, 2022

If you are happy with those cases, I'm happy for you. But personally, I wouldn't choose to have that polishing done, because that look doesn't appeal to me. We all have different preferences. Either way, it's useful to have photos in the thread.

5. SkunkPrince Nov 19, 2022

Totally agree.

It's interesting, I have a US Collection Seamaster in a 2627-style case, gold filled. I asked the watchmaker if I could have the stripped case to hand-polish. I used Simachrome (my favorite for many things) and when I was doone, I handed it back... and he was mildly impressed. Still had its character, but just removing the microscratching really improved its looks.

It's absolutely up to any owner to do what she wants to do. Educate, listen, and help her get what she wants, regardless of her choice.

Would I prefer to have had my gold-capped 166.010 refinshed? Sure. But, gold cap, risk is too high, and it was honest wear and not some yutz with a buffer ruining it. Best choice? Leave it.

IMG_1134.jpeg

Gold, as received, with my best version of the bracelet. Steel, on the right, case and bracelet refinished... mostly to correct someone else's screwup.

6. nicks Nov 20, 2022

OP, if you let us know where you are located, one of the Canadian members here may be able to help you with a watchmaker.

Great watch!