My Ebay Speedmaster just showed up! Photos + first impressions inside!

As I mentioned in my 'new member' discussion, I ordered a used 311.30.42.30.01.005 on ebay. This is an 1861 movement, so a few years old listed as 'used'. You can see the listing photos on my other thread.

As far as being a watch 'person', I've not really worn them very much. I wore a Citizen Skyhawk Blue Angels for a while, though it got beat up wearing it every day. It ended up being a bit big to wear all the time, so I eventually removed it and put it in a drawer (where the 'capacitor' seems to have died at 1/2 charge max!). Other than a brief stint with a pebble smart watch a few years ago, I've not been wearing a watch daily at all.

About a year ago, I picked up a Casio W800H for the purposes of using as a stop-watch while doing baseball umpiring (no-new-inning rules are a source of MANY arguments!). It was light and easy to wear, to the point that I barely noticed it! I also found it very useful to have the time on my wrist and I tend to be a pretty mechanical person, so a mechanical watch sounded fun.

I got a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Green with date window about a month ago and have been wearing it non-stop since, other than working in my metal-shop/playing sports. It loses a bit of time, else is really a fantastic watch. More importantly, it got me used to wearing a mechanical.

So here are all 3, as I had this morning: PXL_20230724_200058047.jpg

I searched a while for a speedmaster, debating between going to the local AD and spending on a new one, debating between a reduced and a pro (or one of the variety of 'date' models), and newer vs vintage.

I decided that a manual wind over automatic was my preference which stuck me into the Pro model. 6k for a brand new one at an AD (assuming they'd be able to sell it to me, and assuming my messy dressing didn't make them not want to sell it to me!) seemed steep, and I poked around a bit.

I found a few nice ones around, and came close to jumping on one at WatchUSeek (but a minimum post count to PM a seller made that impossible), and a few almost-buys from /r/watchexchange. However, not having a good idea of what an authentic one looked like, I wanted a little more assurance.

I found this one on ebay, listed as used with some honest pictures on it. I used the "make an offer" after a few beers and suggested a perhaps insulting price, the seller countered at 4k, and I agreed. Seller shipped next day, and it was at the authenticator this past Thursday. They shipped same day, and it ended up at my house about a half hour ago!

I photographed each step as I opened it for the purposes of keeping track of stuff, but I figured no one has a similar set of pictures of what to expect from ebay, so I figured I'd share!

First, it comes in a sealed box (from Fedex in this case) with a security seal.
PXL_20230724_193929044.jpg PXL_20230724_193931519.jpg

Upon opening the box, I see this:

PXL_20230724_194005475.jpg

3 cards on top (1 the NFC card, 2 just 'stuff'), and bubble wrap! For the curious, the cards are:

PXL_20230724_194020421.jpg PXL_20230724_194027454.jpg

Two booklets came stacked on top, 1 on the bracelet (metal or leather, depending on which side you read it from), and 1 about the 'history' of the speedmaster. I didn't pause long to look at them.
PXL_20230724_194306420.jpg

The top of the box even still has some sort of protective plastic over the main medallion. Also, my personal authenticator showed up for a few pictures.
PXL_20230724_194324589.jpg

Opened up, there is an instruction book, a leather card holder (though neither of the Omega cards were included, though they weren't promised. The Loupe and other medallion (side note, what is this for?) were included, as was 1 extra link of the bracelet, some band pins, and a band removal tool.
PXL_20230724_194345174.jpg

PXL_20230724_194356737.jpg

Interestingly, the bracelet managed to fit half decent right away! It is perhaps a TOUCH large, but it fits comfortably, and doesn't move around my arm too much. So I lucked out on there only being 1 extra link! I DO have a canvas/leather deployant one coming (some UK seller on ebay) that I might switch it to eventually.
PXL_20230724_194452793.jpg

Note that the ebay authenticator attached this to the back. After a wind and a function test, I ended up taking that off.
PXL_20230724_194749937.jpg

PXL_20230724_200028597.jpg

Thoughts: All of the marks as pictured by the ebay seller are there (https://www.ebay.com/itm/266315160221), though WAY less noticeable than I thought. I figured I was buying something with a little age to it, perhaps a little bit of wear, but what I got is something that looks brand spankin new. Marks on the crystal are not visible in person, and the nicks on the case and scuffs on the bracelet are minor/will get worse on my wrist!

As far as the watch: It is MUCH more attractive in person than in photos. The crystal is bright and clear, and the dial is very nice. The bezel is really sharp and clean as well. The watch itself is WAY smaller/more delicately featured than I expected. One of my concerns is that on my small wrist (~6.5"), it would look huge. That absolutely doesn't seem to be the case. It is 'smaller' on the wrist than my skyhawk BY a large amount, and while bigger than my 38mm Hamilton, not absurdly so.

My one 'complaint' is the crown. It is a bit tough to turn to wind (in that it is small, and the bezel gets in the way, effort is minor), and pulling it out to set the time is a little difficult for the same reason. I mildly wish it was hackable, but with the mini seconds hand, I don't think it'll bother me much. Perhaps it'll prevent me from going insane about the accuracy (my Hamilton went from -5 sec/day to -7 or 8 sec/day in normal use), which is perhaps a benefit.

Anyway, thats my thoughts/feelings on it! I hope others get to enjoy the photos/explanation of my experience.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Congrats! I started with Citizen, wore an H144/5 Eco-drive for over a decade. I stored in a drawer and also killed my capacitor, and during the process of replacing it decided it was time for a new watch and went with Omega.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 1861 Speedy.

Congrats, it's a great watch! You can try back-hacking the movement. In the time setting position start winding it backwards and hold some steady pressure on the crown. The seconds hand should stop and then you can release the pressure when the seconds are correct. Then quickly go forward and line up your minute hand to the correct mark. Welcome back to the insane.

Pretty exciting! Congrats on your new watch!

It would be interesting to hear and see a bit more about the ebay authentication. What does the NFC link show? Did they actually open the watch? If they did open it, did they check waterproofing afterwards?

Congrats!

I just picked up the same ref old model 1861 2 weeks ago! Like you I did some online shopping/browsing on the usual sites looking for best condition and price; but ultimately ended up going brand new from an AD w/ 5 yr warr for piece of mind, etc. yours looks mint! Well done.

I shopped the new 3861 as well and found the new model and especially the bracelet way to delicate & dainty looking, especially with the extreme taper to the clasp.

the goodies/box set of the old model beats the new model as well!

I too, love this watch. I could honestly dump the 4 other omegas I have (DSOTM, Seamaster Chrono and 2 POs) only have this watch and be completely happy. Watch perfection with history/pedigree to match!
Edited:

You don't mention the 2 nato straps normally included in the set. Were these not included? Perfectly fine if you were aware beforehand but just checking
Screenshot_20230725-062832_Chrome.jpg

Nice Speedy, and thanks for sharing your experience
with the Ebay purchase!

Very nice, needs more pictures. ;)

I keed, you did great. I too have small wrists, but the Speedy seems to work well. Many other people complain about winding the crown, so it's not just you.

And speaking of not just you, I too could never figure out the point of the medallion either. I figure it's just more crap they throw in there to make it seem like you got a value. :eek:

Which you did. That's a good price for what appears to be a really nice watch, congrats!

You don't mention the 2 nato straps normally included in the set. Were these not included? Perfectly fine if you were aware beforehand but just checking
Screenshot_20230725-062832_Chrome.jpg

The NATO/Velcro strap was NOT included, and wasn't listed in the original listing. I'm not heartbroken about it, I probably wouldn't have used either anyway.

I DID notice that the bracelet tool had been used at one point to try to unscrew a few of the band-links (making the screw heads a little chewed up), causing one of the 'legs' of the tool to break.

This again doesn't bother me (I actually only needed to use the 'micro adjust' to get it to fit just right), but shows how hamfisted others can be :D

Congratulations!.
I bought my first Speedmaster off Ebay in 1999, pre-owned from an estate sale before all the Ebay shenanigans started and prior to authentication services.
Go to Omega boutique and purchase a couple of replacement screws and order the appropriate sized screwdriver from Esslinger.
Check out Youtubes for replacing screws with loctite.
Also, please post new Speedy pic on WRUW so we can see it again.
Cheers

WRUW post done :) After a day of wearing (and night in my nightstand on a 'roll'), I gained ~5 seconds in ~20 hours. My timegrapher app has it at +-0 or so face-up, and ~ -10 face down. Either way, more than accurate enough for me!

As I mentioned in my 'new member' discussion, I ordered a used 311.30.42.30.01.005 on ebay. This is an 1861 movement, so a few years old listed as 'used'. You can see the listing photos on my other thread.

As far as being a watch 'person', I've not really worn them very much. I wore a Citizen Skyhawk Blue Angels for a while, though it got beat up wearing it every day. It ended up being a bit big to wear all the time, so I eventually removed it and put it in a drawer (where the 'capacitor' seems to have died at 1/2 charge max!). Other than a brief stint with a pebble smart watch a few years ago, I've not been wearing a watch daily at all.

About a year ago, I picked up a Casio W800H for the purposes of using as a stop-watch while doing baseball umpiring (no-new-inning rules are a source of MANY arguments!). It was light and easy to wear, to the point that I barely noticed it! I also found it very useful to have the time on my wrist and I tend to be a pretty mechanical person, so a mechanical watch sounded fun.

I got a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Green with date window about a month ago and have been wearing it non-stop since, other than working in my metal-shop/playing sports. It loses a bit of time, else is really a fantastic watch. More importantly, it got me used to wearing a mechanical.

So here are all 3, as I had this morning: PXL_20230724_200058047.jpg

I searched a while for a speedmaster, debating between going to the local AD and spending on a new one, debating between a reduced and a pro (or one of the variety of 'date' models), and newer vs vintage.

I decided that a manual wind over automatic was my preference which stuck me into the Pro model. 6k for a brand new one at an AD (assuming they'd be able to sell it to me, and assuming my messy dressing didn't make them not want to sell it to me!) seemed steep, and I poked around a bit.

I found a few nice ones around, and came close to jumping on one at WatchUSeek (but a minimum post count to PM a seller made that impossible), and a few almost-buys from /r/watchexchange. However, not having a good idea of what an authentic one looked like, I wanted a little more assurance.

I found this one on ebay, listed as used with some honest pictures on it. I used the "make an offer" after a few beers and suggested a perhaps insulting price, the seller countered at 4k, and I agreed. Seller shipped next day, and it was at the authenticator this past Thursday. They shipped same day, and it ended up at my house about a half hour ago!

I photographed each step as I opened it for the purposes of keeping track of stuff, but I figured no one has a similar set of pictures of what to expect from ebay, so I figured I'd share!

First, it comes in a sealed box (from Fedex in this case) with a security seal.
PXL_20230724_193929044.jpg PXL_20230724_193931519.jpg

Upon opening the box, I see this:

PXL_20230724_194005475.jpg

3 cards on top (1 the NFC card, 2 just 'stuff'), and bubble wrap! For the curious, the cards are:

PXL_20230724_194020421.jpg PXL_20230724_194027454.jpg

Two booklets came stacked on top, 1 on the bracelet (metal or leather, depending on which side you read it from), and 1 about the 'history' of the speedmaster. I didn't pause long to look at them.
PXL_20230724_194306420.jpg

The top of the box even still has some sort of protective plastic over the main medallion. Also, my personal authenticator showed up for a few pictures.
PXL_20230724_194324589.jpg

Opened up, there is an instruction book, a leather card holder (though neither of the Omega cards were included, though they weren't promised. The Loupe and other medallion (side note, what is this for?) were included, as was 1 extra link of the bracelet, some band pins, and a band removal tool.
PXL_20230724_194345174.jpg

PXL_20230724_194356737.jpg

Interestingly, the bracelet managed to fit half decent right away! It is perhaps a TOUCH large, but it fits comfortably, and doesn't move around my arm too much. So I lucked out on there only being 1 extra link! I DO have a canvas/leather deployant one coming (some UK seller on ebay) that I might switch it to eventually.
PXL_20230724_194452793.jpg

Note that the ebay authenticator attached this to the back. After a wind and a function test, I ended up taking that off.
PXL_20230724_194749937.jpg

PXL_20230724_200028597.jpg

Thoughts: All of the marks as pictured by the ebay seller are there (https://www.ebay.com/itm/266315160221), though WAY less noticeable than I thought. I figured I was buying something with a little age to it, perhaps a little bit of wear, but what I got is something that looks brand spankin new. Marks on the crystal are not visible in person, and the nicks on the case and scuffs on the bracelet are minor/will get worse on my wrist!

As far as the watch: It is MUCH more attractive in person than in photos. The crystal is bright and clear, and the dial is very nice. The bezel is really sharp and clean as well. The watch itself is WAY smaller/more delicately featured than I expected. One of my concerns is that on my small wrist (~6.5"), it would look huge. That absolutely doesn't seem to be the case. It is 'smaller' on the wrist than my skyhawk BY a large amount, and while bigger than my 38mm Hamilton, not absurdly so.

My one 'complaint' is the crown. It is a bit tough to turn to wind (in that it is small, and the bezel gets in the way, effort is minor), and pulling it out to set the time is a little difficult for the same reason. I mildly wish it was hackable, but with the mini seconds hand, I don't think it'll bother me much. Perhaps it'll prevent me from going insane about the accuracy (my Hamilton went from -5 sec/day to -7 or 8 sec/day in normal use), which is perhaps a benefit.

Anyway, thats my thoughts/feelings on it! I hope others get to enjoy the photos/explanation of my experience.
I appreciate your full description which helps me understand how eBay does business with watches.
Enjoy it - the Speedmaster is a classic excellent choice. Wear it in good health.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
The NATO/Velcro strap was NOT included, and wasn't listed in the original listing. I'm not heartbroken about it, I probably wouldn't have used either anyway.

I DID notice that the bracelet tool had been used at one point to try to unscrew a few of the band-links (making the screw heads a little chewed up), causing one of the 'legs' of the tool to break.

This again doesn't bother me (I actually only needed to use the 'micro adjust' to get it to fit just right), but shows how hamfisted others can be :D

Among all the other vendors of watch tools, the OB offers a red travel case and band tool inexpensively - at least our local one did earlier this year.

Very nice.. and it goes without saying your cat is particularly interested in the box :D

BTW.. That 'no returns if removed' eBay label, looks like it's been well thought through:whistling:

Among all the other vendors of watch tools, the OB offers a red travel case and band tool inexpensively - at least our local one did earlier this year.
Sadly there isn't a boutique anywhere near where I'll be anytime soon, and only 1 AD near me. But I DO have a band removal tool as well in a kit of watch tools I grabbed a while back.

I've seen a few of the travel cases on eBay, I DO have a trip coming up to visit some family that I was considering bringing my speedy and Hamilton, so perhaps that instead of my 3 watch roll, I'll pick one of those up ...
Very nice.. and it goes without saying your cat is particularly interested in the box :D

BTW.. That 'no returns if removed' eBay label, looks like it's been well thought through:whistling:

Yeah, I didn't really get it, unless the intent is to make it tougher to remove the case back? But yeah, a little silly.