Forums Latest Members

Movement Shots from Sellers?

1. llvhhui Sep 11, 2020

I know a lot of you guys like movement shots when buying a watch to verify authenticity. Excuse my noob question here, aren't you concerned about its water resistance since the seller opened the caseback? By water resistance here I don't mean taking the watch diving. I'm only talking about regular daily activities. And only talking about modern watches from post tritium era.

Edited Sep 11, 2020
  2. Professor Sep 11, 2020

Vintage watches aren't likely to retain any water resistance to speak of unless recently fully resealed.

WhatYourWatchSay and llvhhui like this.
  3. llvhhui Sep 11, 2020

Ah, ok, modern watches then.

4. Redwes25 Sep 11, 2020

Unless less then 5 years old, I would think someone would service watch before putting in water or at least I would.

5. ajn3323 Sep 11, 2020

Movement shots serve a couple purposes: 1) authenticity verification and 2) condition assessment. With vintage you aren’t looking for water tightness. With modern unless it was serviced and photos were taken, I don’t expect to see movement shots. Personally I don’t open my own watches (vintage included) so I won’t have a movement shot included unless it was at the time of service and I was there with the watchmaker to take the pic.

WatchCor and Scooterino36 like this.
  6. Dan S Sep 11, 2020

I wouldn't trust that a watch was water resistant unless I had it pressure tested anyway.

WatchCor likes this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 11, 2020

Vintage Watches... “Don’t take this to the beach. In fact when wearing don’t even THINK about the beach! “ ... said the Parisian shop owner when I bought my 2998-6. Movement shots are critical for condition and authenticity. Vintage watches are for dry, cool sunny days. Screw back cases, screw in crown watches that have been serviced can see Some sweat and a raindrop or three. No swimming. These are my rules. Generally they get serviced anyway upon arrival.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.