Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Mar 31, 2015

Never having really sold anything beyond a small group of friends but considering selling a few pieces, but not necessarily interested in going to the 'bay, I am curious as to sellers' experiences in terms of relative amounts realized from the sale board here vs. the 'bay. I would find value in dealing with known buyers in the same way that buyers want to know their sellers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 31, 2015

If the items are nice vintage omegas then you will probably get the same if not better results here compared to eBay.

3. Eric_navi Mar 31, 2015

References are easier to come by on the forums and less risk for buyer fraud. Dealing with sketchy buyers can be a nightmare with chargebacks being a huge risk. But... There is a larger audience on ebay... However you pay the 10% fee. You will notice some experienced sellers will list their pieces here or on other forums first ,,, and then list on eBay if they do not get what they want

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 31, 2015

Same, but here I buy and sell with much more confidence and cab sell lower because of the fees ( or lack thereof)

5. lillatroll Apr 2, 2015

From the perspective of someone who has only bought watches I will try to buy every single watch from this site. I had only bought two watches before I found this forum, one from a shop and one on ebay. Both honest examples and prices I was happy to pay.
    I was genuinely surprised by how many wrongly described watches get sold on eBay, (I was very naive I know) The upshot of everything I have learnt here so far is that I hope that every watch I buy I can get from this forum. I am happy to pay what the seller wants because I am confident that they are being honest and if they make a mistake in the ad someone will pick up on it and correct them.
    I also think that if the watch is priced right on here people will buy it quickly and if it is too much then it hangs around until the price is ajusted or the seller withdraws it so nobody is getting done over with over inflated prices.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 2, 2015

If I were selling a clean original example of a vintage Omega/Longines/Universal/Zenith, I would sell it here. There are many collectors of these on OF, and they will pay for nice examples. If it's a Rolex or some other desirable brand, I'll go to a different forum like TRF/TZ/WUS.
    If it's a watch that has appeal but doesn't have a strong following (like Wittnauer/Movado/Zodiac/Girard Perregaux, etc.) OR the watch has issues, I disclose those issues and sell on eBay.
    I am less familiar with contemporary watches, and would likely turn to TZ/WUS for those.

toddle321 likes this.
  7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 2, 2015

I agree, although I have bought many dozens of watches on Ebay and never had a problem, even with some very high end ones...but common sense is very important. That being said, if I had a choice this forum is going to be the first place to purchase. Generally a more honest group, but more importantly a more knowledgeable group so you know exactly what you are getting. On the other side if I was selling, I would sell here first before listing on Ebay.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 2, 2015

I have made some great purchases online. through eBay and through some direct dealerships (gray or not) but my last three purchases (a PO LMLE, a Daytona and an Explorer 2 Polar Express and soon hopefully an Explorer 1)) have been through this forum. and of those 1 through a private sale and the 2 larger ones through George ( Kringkily)

the advantage of the dealers here (George and company but I'll speak from my experience) is that not only he is vetoing and sourcing the purchase, but then takes the time to do a personal inspection and asessment of the watch sourced prior to the transaction as well as it's provenance . I cannot street enough what an amazing luxury and pleasure it is to know that there is an apt filter between the watch I want, and my bank account. Not only authenticity is guaranteed, but I get a good idea of service needs, issues or sometimes advantages of one model over another...and all with a friendly face and attitude, without hassling and at extremely fair prices

I am sure some of the other members that deal on watches have the exact same ethos, and that, coupled with the OF member camaraderie makes this my number one forum to visit and recommend, as well as my number one source for information and goods.

To the founding fathers and the members alike...thank you!!