Forums Latest Members

Movement Number for Replacement.

1. chaw6125 Sep 19, 2020

Hi Guys and Gals.

My father has a Longines L4.790.4 quartz dress watch. It keeps stopping randomly and had been to my watchmaker friend who found a broken setting lever and a few other issues but after changing them it is the same and looks to be a bad circuit.

I have pictures of the inside which seem to show a L157.2 movement but I can’t read the ETA movement number. Is this a 255.111 or 255.112 movement? I understand that is obsolete so not sure if I can get a replacement Longines movement on the newer ETA caliber or just stick a generic ETA in once I know the correct movement.

I was hoping someone might have access to their extranet and can check if I gave them the serial number. I dont have the watch to hand to pop the back off. I do have a spare L156.4 which is an ETA 255.411 but not sure if it is any use.

thanks

2. chaw6125 Sep 19, 2020

@Archer can you help? I dont know if you have a Longines account? I am hoping so as Swatch Group.

3. Chewbakkka Sep 21, 2020

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 21, 2020

The ETA caliber is stamped just below the coil position. You may need a good loupe and lighting to see it.

WIN_20200921_22_31_32_Pro.jpg

The ETA calibers should be fairly easy to obtain.

DaveK likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 21, 2020

Note: From one I did a few months ago, can't remember the Longines model number.

6. chaw6125 Sep 22, 2020

Thanks Guys. I don’t have the watch to hand right now. I might have to go and get it.

I found the webpage that suggested it should be a 255112. It is just my blurry picture looks like 255111.

I think popping the case back will be the easiest method. I will drive and get it at the weekend.

It looks like the ETA E64.111 is the replacement for both 255.111 and 255.112 but I am not sure if the wheels are changeable like on a automatic movement and various canon pinion heights, seconds wheels and hour wheels. If it was a 2892 I have various heights sitting on my desk. Quartz I know very little about and stick to battery changes only.

I am glad I came to OF though. I knew you guys would be the best to ask.

7. chaw6125 Sep 22, 2020

My blurry pic. ::shy::

8D0D55E1-F5BC-448B-AC70-B0FB45777FB3.jpeg
  8. chaw6125 Jan 12, 2022

Bumping my old dead thread. The watch started working for another 2 years after this thread. Then died again. I put in a new fresh Renata 373 and no joy. I can confirm it is an ETA 255.111. I also did test 1, 2 and 4 from the ETA datasheet. I don't have a power supply to try test 3.

Test 1 result: 1.57 volts measured across the two contacts.
    Test 2 result: voltage detected every 1 second. Hard to read as it flashes up and goes back down again.
    Test 4 result: 1.5 KOhms measured on the coil.

After the tests it came to life again then got to 39 seconds (where it stopped before) stuttered and stopped. Bad wheel?

So to me it seems the circuit is good. The hands don't seem to be fouling the case or dial. The movement is as dead out of the case as in the case (not likely to be a stem that is too short causing the hacking to kick in). I can't send it back to my last watchmaker easily as he is based in Sweden and I am in the UK so don't want to get hit with import taxes for a repair. I have a watchmaker not too far away who is Rolex, Patek, Omega and TAG certified and beleive the Omega cert opens you up to almost any swatch owned brand, but he isn't cheap (and rightly so).

What would you guys do at this rate?
    Option 1: Send to Longines approved watchmaker who will likely swap the movement if he can still get one? Sounds expensive for a £400 quartz watch.
    Option 2: Buy a used movement from ebay with little to no warranty. £75
    Option 3: Buy a new ETA E64.111 and hope I can get it to fit the dial, hands and movement spacer. It is the same dimensions and suggets it is a replacement but not sure how exact it is. The hand sizes are the same but it looks like the height of canon pinion, hour wheel and second wheel are not exactly the same so to me this isn't a sensible option even though the movement is the same height and diameter.
    Test 1 and 2.png Test 3 and 4.png Test Points.png