Forums Latest Members

Movado/Zenith Datron HS 360 - questionable repair

1. Joseph7 May 16, 2024

I recently purchase a Movado HS 360 on Ebay ( i know , don't hate me too much ) . I had one of these in the early 80's as a gift which is long since gone . I've always been seeking another & found a really nice example . After waiting for the authentication process ( questionable at best ) my local trusted watchmaker opened up the case and to my horror the reset hammer had been grinded/soldered over the set screw !

Vintage Movado/Zenith Datron HS360 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The original owner ( since 1974 ) states that he had the watch serviced @ Gray & Sons in Bal Harbor . He provided just the header of the repair ticket w/ the watch description , serial # and the invoice # but no detailed description of the work performed . I sent the seller an email with a pic and the current state of affairs & i'm waiting for a response . Even though he has a no return policy i'm sure that the item was misrepresented ( knowingly or not ) & i'll get satisfaction .

All of the function are working and the reset is working correctly ( but for how long ? ) and i'm currently checking the reserve time on it . .

I'm posting here on your site for any help you can provide and again please don't be too harsh . I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance ,

Joseph-

20240515_195141.jpg Repaired Movado movement.jpg
  2. CaptainWinsor May 17, 2024

I’d be interested in hearing what information eBay’s so called authentication service gave to you. Hope this gets resolved quickly

Mark020 likes this.
  3. Joseph7 May 17, 2024

So i gave Stoll & Son ( Ebay's authenticator ) a call this am & asked if an obvious repair on the movement would be noted in the paperwork & he replied that it would not . I believe they just " authenticate " against the details on the original listing ... It also answers the question that a lot of people have as far as if they open up the case to inspect the movement , which i believe they do as per my carefully worded question .
    Its unfortunate that the seller did not note the repair & was being somewhat deceptive about the history/repair . I love this watch but i don't want emotions to cloud my better judgement . The condition is excellent , keeps great time & is now currently running 33 hours on reserve. i'm going to see if i can have some $$ refunded due to this situation . If so i'll more than likely keep it . i equate it to buying a car with a savlage title but knowing that the repairs were done to or exceeding the manufactures standard . I have a friend who owns a body shop that acquired his NSX Acura with a light nose damage ( mid engine car ) that he kept for his collection . As i stated he just provided the header of the service receipt w/ minimal info , not the detailed description of the services performed , very sneaky . I'm sure he never expected anyone to open up the case after the EBay process & if so he already got paid . A refund on my part would not allow him to relist that watch on their platform . Wish me luck !

Mark020 and CaptainWinsor like this.
  4. CaptainWinsor May 18, 2024

I’m surprised none of the Movado experts have responded about the soldering on the movt

5. Joseph7 May 19, 2024

Me as well , i sourced a replacement part from Switzerland that should be here soon . IDK why the PO did not have one installed as the part does not appear to be unobtanium .. The watch is running great with all functions working perfectly w/ 50 + hours of reserve .

CaptainWinsor likes this.
  6. Joseph7 May 21, 2024

I sent a stern but nicely worded message to the seller . He gave me the $600 ( $550 +tax ) partial refund i requested . So now i have a mint fully function Movado Datron HS 360 Pilot for 5K ( with the spare reset hammer in stock ) . I'm really happy overall ( very stressful transaction ) .The HS 360 Pilots i've seen listed do not even come close to the condition of this watch and for up to 3K more . Another happy ending ....

Response below :

"Hi, Joseph. My apologies for not responding to your first message. I did not intend to misrepresent the watch in any way. I can see from your picture the issue you are referring to, and I assure you I was not aware of the repair that had been made. Your request to split the cost for the part you need seems reasonable and fair. I will initiate a refund of $550. I hope that once this refund is made we can then both feel satisfied that the entire transaction has been conducted in good faith on both ends, and consider the matter settled. Thank you for your professional and respectful communication."

7. Dan S May 21, 2024

You paid $1100 for the repair?

8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 21, 2024

Mint seems like a bit of a stretch. Photo from the eBay listing you linked above.

IMG_7193.jpeg

Mark020 likes this.
  9. Joseph7 May 21, 2024

No , i just threw that # out there for a bargaining point

10. Joseph7 May 21, 2024

The face & case is in great condition , I'm not anal about the back . . Much better than the 7K watches i've seen .