Forums Latest Members

Moonwatch professional or fois ?

1. stevethecab Apr 18, 2022

Hi , I'm new to omega and really want to buy a speedmaster, but am torn between the moonwatch professional or the fois, any tips or recommendations please. I have a budget of £5000.
    Also which one is the better investment watch.
    Thanks Steve..

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2022

Moonwatch professional…then you can branch out on the sub variety’s of the classic. ;)

Not really investments but you will get what you paid within a few years on both.
    (Some may say the FOIS is a better investment now they aren’t made anymore but it’s still a bottom of the investment strategy pool not being a LE)

3. Mspeedster Apr 18, 2022

I had the same dilemma back in 2014/2015. I didn't care about the investment perspective, never do. But back then it didn't matter since both watches were readily available. Ultimately, I chose the FOIS. I preferred its vintage looks and smaller size of 39mm over the Pro.

It may depend on why you've decided you want a Speedmaster. If you want it because of its icon status, then perhaps only the Speedy Pro "moonwatch" will do. However, if that's not the case, then it's just personal preference based on looks and how it wears on you. Both are great watches, I still think about adding a 3861 Pro to my collection.

Omegafanman likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2022

You know I’d actually be learning towards the FOIS now just because they’re actually quite cheap and IMO underpriced compared to the normal Moonwatch and I don’t see it staying that affordable that long. Moonwatch itself you’re not going to get priced out of but the FOIS you might be in a couple of years even though they’re only numbered and not limited.

chipotlefire, perks713 and Duracuir1 like this.
  5. mbp Apr 18, 2022

Get the FOIS because they'll become harder to find at reasonable prices. If you like it, go for the 42mm Speedmaster so that you can get some variation.

chipotlefire likes this.
  6. w@tcher Apr 18, 2022

I was in your shoes 2 years ago. Firstly, I purchased the Speedmaster Professional (1861cal.) and after some months the FOIS.
    I have both and if I had to choose only one, I can assure you that i am still in the same dilemma and i can not decide between of them.
    I love them both.

If I had to choose between the 3861 Professional and the FOIS, I would definitely choose the FOIS. I suppose you can buy the 3861 later, since it will be years in production and the FOIS is out of production.
    But if you are thinking between 1861 Professional and FOIS, I’m afraid I can’t help you.

7. Twocats Married... with children Apr 18, 2022

I have both and like my FOIS a little better because of the size. Have you tried both on ? thats the ultimate litmus test.

8. savka Apr 18, 2022

I prefer the 3861. The size of the FOIS is tempting on paper but I find that the straight lugs don’t wear as well as the traditional lyre lugs.

9. Twocats Married... with children Apr 18, 2022

I have a 7 inch wrist and find the FOIS a better fit for me from the three different cases I own but only you can decide.

8DCE3842-CAE1-4541-8DB8-F3D908B49298.jpeg 60417C3D-DA24-43B0-A0BF-DD1C0E7BF02F.jpeg F58F4FD2-FC57-4B91-92A1-87F720089050.jpeg

chipotlefire and Walrus like this.
  10. Sicario Wombat Apr 18, 2022

Had a Reduced and FOIS in the past... they had their merits and downsides.

As an investment - nope. Not going to help me in my retirement! I just love Speedmasters!

I presently have a Hesalite Sandwich Professional 3752.50 with a 1863 movement which I adore.

Depends if you want a dressy (FOIS) or tool (Professional) like look.

I would go for a recent 1861 as there has been a few negative rumblings about the 3861.

The money saved can go towards a few straps for this 'Strap Monster'! ;)

11. Sicario Wombat Apr 18, 2022

My brief time with a FOIS...

019.JPG

My present Hesalite Sandwich...

021c.jpg

chipotlefire and apsm100 like this.
  12. avidmark Apr 18, 2022

Something to consider about the FOIS is the 19mm lugs compared to 20mm lugs of the Pro.
    Although just 1mm difference, we all know how much 1mm can impact how a watch presents itself on different wrist sizes and shapes.

Edited Apr 18, 2022
  13. dstfno Apr 18, 2022

Investment matters aside, I’ve had the FOIS and what bothered me is that it’s not very readable.

Giving your watch a quick and unnoticed glance to check the time was impossible. There was always some turning of the wrist involved for the hands to catch the proper light. At night readability was non existent because of the small amount of lume.

It’s a beautiful watch but I would not buy it again.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 18, 2022

This is a fair point but bear in mind the Speedy Pro lume is woeful also. If you want really good lume you need a sword hands SMP.

Edited Apr 19, 2022
    mbp likes this.
  15. mbp Apr 19, 2022

To clarify, getting the FOIS because prices are increasing does not mean that it's an "investment." It just means paying less now and feeling less pain should you decide to pick one up in the future.

chipotlefire likes this.
  16. savka Apr 19, 2022

I agree, but the same can be said about the Speedy Pro to a certain extent. I remember when MSRP was $4k not too long ago and now it’s pushing $7k. I’m sure those who have been around longer will recall even lower prices. I’m glad I bought one when I did. The Speedmaster has been a great value given its history/stature and I worry that those days are numbered as Omega continues its upwards trajectory.

mbp likes this.
  17. KnoP Apr 19, 2022

I would go for the Classic one first. If „the feever“ catches you, with the FOIS you have a nice target to aim on ‍♂️

mbp likes this.
  18. mutanthands Apr 19, 2022

The Speedy Pro is an absolute classic, but there are so many of them out there. The FOIS is just a little bit more interesting, imho.
    Fact of the matter is, you really can't go wrong with either.
    Having said that, if you do go for the FOIS, put it on the Forstner flat link bracelet with the milled clasp. Looks / feels great!

chipotlefire likes this.
  19. mbp Apr 19, 2022

Yes, these are both good options.

And yes, Savka--Speedmaster prices in general have just really climbed over the last year or two.

20. perks713 Apr 19, 2022

I went with the FOIS. I got it for a solid price on Ebay and then got 15% off through Ebay on a promotion they were running at the time. I like the smaller feeling case size.

I plan to pick up a 60s-70s Speedmaster at some point so I like the idea of having the FOIS which will be a different hand combination.

chipotlefire likes this.