Forums Latest Members
  1. klugt1990 Sep 7, 2020

Hi guys - just picked up this lovely Monodatic, case ref. 400101. As you can see, the crown is a replacement (and a rather bad one IMHO). I was wondering how feasible it is to find an original crown or would it be better to just stick on a generic crown? Also, would the crown be gold-plated?

Monodatic.jpg

2. yala Sep 14, 2020

Hi and congrats! Funny thing is – this crown looks relatively close to the crowns that were used on steel Monodatics from the 159xxx serial-range. As far as I've seen, there were different variants of crowns used during the Monodatic-dates - some with big ridges like yours, some with smaller ridges (like on the monodate automatics), flat ones for 18 k models, then later signed and flat ones. I believe that gold-plated cases would go with gold-plated crowns. With all this being said – sorry to be of no help :D what’s the serial of your watch? I have a little database of monos and could look up which crown style fits according to that (though it’s mostly steel monos).

filmir, klugt1990 and janice&fred like this.
  3. janice&fred Sep 14, 2020

The crown doesn't bother me and with a bit of research by yourself and the above member you will no doubt round up what you need. For now I would enjoy that beauty just the way it is. :thumbsup:

Zapatta, Larry S and yala like this.
  4. klugt1990 Sep 14, 2020

Thanks - and interesting! It's a 158xxxx serial so wouldn't be signed yet I think. I've also been gathering a bit of data on Monos and the gold-plates models are actually the ones I have the least examples of (and all of them with different crowns...). They're all 158xxxx serials btw.

Now that I think of it, a gold-plated Monodatic sold through OF a while back (link below). Given the condition of that particular watch, I suppose that's what I should be looking for. The serial is also within 100 from mine.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/universal-geneve-monodatic-cornes-de-vache.70225/

yala likes this.
  5. yala Sep 14, 2020

Yes, definitely unsigned. And, I agree, gold-plated Monos are not very common. The thing with the 158xxx serial range is super interesting – will have to check more of that range. And also agreed with the example you have found - that should be the crown. Happy hunting, I will also keep my eyes peeled if I come across one of these crowns. You never know :)

filmir and klugt1990 like this.
  6. klugt1990 Sep 14, 2020

Thanks, that’s appreciated. To clarify on the 158xxxx, that’s for Monodatics only. I’ve seen gold plated Monodates outside of that serial range.

yala likes this.
  7. yala Sep 14, 2020

Yes – Monodate serials would be earlier, right? The ones I know (an they‘re not many) are Monodate Automatics in the 14xxxx.

8. klugt1990 Sep 14, 2020

Yep, that's the one I'm thinking of as well.

yala likes this.