Forums Latest Members

Modern Pushers for 105.012-65 vintage Speedmaster ?

1. speedyfan65 Jul 11, 2016

Hi all,

My speedy is in for a service with STS (from this original thread below) and I’m debating the merits of either replacing or sticking with my original pushers. They are not original to the watch as first built. but are of a certain vintage and the correct size (5x3mm), although very slightly non matching in their profile so atleast one if not both are previous service items (not as obvious on the wrist in real life as in the photos)

Any thoughts on how the dimensions work out on the Omega Service items for this model, I’d heard they were about 80% accurate to the original design, do they stand out as modern replacements, or do they look OK?.

I'm wondering - Is it worth the change now, or should I just keep what's in there for the time being on the chance of later sourcing a pair of 100% original vintage pushers, I guess the argument for swapping is you gain in waterproofing etc what you lose in vintage originality..

as an aside if I can find one at some point I'll be swapping the crown for an original period item sometime, so future work is most likely anyway..

Appreciate your thoughts…

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-105-012-65-for-review.41942/#post-493877

2. Dash1 Jul 11, 2016

Well the old pushers you have in at the moment are not both correct and differ from each other so changing them for the new ones would be the better option imo. You get to keep the old ones anyway. The new ones STS will fit should have the correct dimensions on the 'head' it's only the stem diameter that is narrower on modern replacements so they look right unless studied very closely. Plus you get added protection from having new seals.
    As you say, if you find some nos correct old ones in the future you could have them fitted if it bothers you. You don't pay any more for the new set at service anyway.

speedyfan65 and oddboy like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 11, 2016

I'd replace if you're going to wear it. I usually do at service time, though 105.012 pushers are harder to come by.

speedyfan65 likes this.
  4. speedyfan65 Jul 11, 2016

Thanks Ask, exactly the info I was after, I wasn't sure how the modern ones differed. if its only the stem then as you say its hard to notice. Sounds like a plan.
    can't wait to see what magic STS can work :)

5. Davidt Jul 11, 2016

No brainer for me.

The modern ones are an almost perfect match. I always get the pushers renewed at service. I have retained the crown, but only if it's the original.

6. Delroyb Jul 11, 2016

Original pushers are actually a different internal construction. I'll post pics of a pair I've just replaced (one lost its cap), tomorrow when I get a chance. As said though apart from the stem diameter they look pretty much identical.

7. speedyfan65 Jul 11, 2016

Thanks - would be interested to see the internals etc. to understand how they differ.

8. Delroyb Jul 12, 2016

Omega speedy pusher.jpg

Here is the original pusher. Rather than having a pin running through which screws into the pusher cap, with a pair of o-ring seals, the original differs in the following way. The pin is retained inside the pusher body, with a cap and membrane that fits over the end, keeping it in place. The pusher cap then fits over the pusher body, an is held in place by the small ring in the middle of the picture. From a weather sealing perspective, this seems abetter system, but does make the cap more vunerable to being knocked off. I suspenct the midern version is also probably cheaper.

wsfarrell and speedyfan65 like this.
  9. speedyfan65 Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for that - interesting picture and description.