Forums Latest Auctions Members

Modern Day Eternas

1. Lenny Pepperidge

Lenny Pepperidge Sep 8, 2019

Any thoughts on the quality of the brand? The 1948 Legacy GMT's look great, but I'm completely clueless about the brand. A forum search turned up a bunch of posts about vintage examples, which seem to be very well respected around here.

EDIT: I'm fairly new around here and just realized this should be in the "Other Watches" forum and not here. I tried to delete the thread but didn't see an ability to do so. Excuse my newbie mistake please.

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 8, 2019
  2. queriver

queriver Sep 9, 2019

I know Eterna was bought by a Chinese company a number of years ago but don't have personal experience dealing with the company or owning their contemporary watches. The Eterna of today bears little resemblance to the historic Eterna because, for example, the ETA movement division they created was sold already decades ago. It would be interesting to know what in-house capabilities the company has and what vintage intellectual property they still own besides the obvious things such as the Kontiki name.

3. Lenny Pepperidge

Lenny Pepperidge Sep 9, 2019

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass. A little googling seems to find the opinion that they're essentially Chinese watches with the bare minimum of assembly and finishing to allow "swiss made" to go on the dial.

4. nordwulf

nordwulf Sep 24, 2019

Eterna is Chinese owned but still are based in Switzerland. Their in house movement Calibre 39 is interesting but I don't have any experience with that. The company is in trouble though but grey market prices are great so it seems a lot of value for money.

Edited Nov 8, 2019
  5. Kwijibo

Kwijibo Nov 8, 2019

6. rcs914

rcs914 Nov 8, 2019

7. Kwijibo

Kwijibo Nov 8, 2019

yes but it's not very insteresting because it has an sw200 I think. The legacy GMT is at 1400 (euros)? The Vaughan big date is at 1995 which is a very nice price for an in hous movement
    pic :
    Capture d’écran 2019-11-08 à 19.26.06.png

Edited Nov 8, 2019