Mk40 - My First Speedmaster

I've been looking for some time and it took some consolidating, but finally picked up my first Speedmaster!! I know it's not a Professional but the budget isn't currently there for one. And I'm sure this could end up being the gateway drug that eventually gets me there!

But here's why I'm so happy with this particular Speedmaster, in no particular order:

It's a busy dial, but I can read the time easily, and there's all the calendar info there if I need it.
Sapphire crystal. Great view of the dial and hands.
It's a quirky dial in many ways, but the complexity speaks to me.
It's a chronograph.
Automatic. Hacks and hand winds.
Has lume that still works.
50m water resistant. (Perfect. This bad boy isn't going near water).
The watch fits perfectly on my 185mm wrist. Doesn't feel or look like 14mm thick.
Bracelet is comfortable, I like how it expands to put my hand through.
It was "affordable".
Someone already put a little "patina" on it so I won't have to agonize over the first micro scratch.

I'll post some better pictures in the daylight, but had to post it right away.

Mk40.jpg

It’s a nice watch and the hands are exceptional! What is the purpose of the two hands at the nine o’clock sub-dial? Congratulations!

It’s a nice watch and the hands are exceptional! What is the purpose of the two hands at the nine o’clock sub-dial? Congratulations!

The thin hand is running seconds. And the larger triangle hand indicates the hour in military time, rotates with the hour hand, so no GMT function.

Congrats! Always exciting getting a new arrival! All the best.

Really nice Speedmaster! Enjoy your weekend getting to know your new watch!

Triple dates are fantastic watches. Great choice.

One of my first purchases was a 3520.50, which I mistakenly sold. I still pause on one when I see it for sale, thinking someday I'll replace it.

It was very comfortable. You still get to play with the chrono but it has these well designed month, day, date extras that at first glance seem confusing but become second nature in no time.

The 3520.50 had the cal. 1151 based off the Valjoux 7751, which i liked the idea of it not being a piggy backed chronograph movement like other reduced speedys. I don't know all my Mark 40s but yours looks similar.

Really fun and suburb watch. I don't know anyone who has ever owned one not liking them..

Enjoy!

Congrats. I think all of these “alternative” Speedmasters offer great bang for the buck. Plus they are fun to look at whereas the Pro is…um…it is.

Congrats. I think all of these “alternative” Speedmasters offer great bang for the buck. Plus they are fun to look at whereas the Pro is…um…it is AMAZING.
FIFY

FIFY
Let’s just say it’s all business and lost it’s fun when they dropped the lolipop and arrow hands. The original racing dial is when we started to see the fun creep back in- kind of like a grey flannel suit with brightly colored socks.

Let’s just say it’s all business and lost it’s fun when they dropped the lolipop and arrow hands. The original racing dial is when we started to see the fun creep back in- kind of like a grey flannel suit with brightly colored socks.
Fair enough. The trilogy Speedmaster is a real looker. And plenty of other fun models out there. I’m very partial to the racing dials and the ST2. Still love the standard Pro though. The OPs watch definitely looks fun and I’m a sucker for triple calendars.

But it pairs so well with the slide rules and pocket protectors those NASA boys were carrying 😁

The speedy pro is a classic, but agree it's nice to have some fun. I think this version of the MK 40 is great but also a bit austere because it is monochromatic. The Schumacher version is pretty wild though.

But it pairs so well with the slide rules and pocket protectors those NASA boys were carrying 😁

The speedy pro is a classic, but agree it's nice to have some fun. I think this version of the MK 40 is great but also a bit austere because it is monochromatic. The Schumacher version is pretty wild though.
The colorful MK40 I have always loved and should have bought one when they were $1.8k. @kaplan has had one up for sale for a while (not sure if that’s still available) that I check on periodically…one day.

The colorful MK40 I have always loved and should have bought one when they were $1.8k. @kaplan has had one up for sale for a while (not sure if that’s still available) that I check on periodically…one day.

It's on my wishlist to pick up at some point too. I thought I'd preferred the monochrome version that OP picked up, but then I saw the Schumacher at the meetup last year and really liked how it looked in person.

Both are really cool speedy variations - congrats again OP!

I keep going back to this one too! @kaplan os it still available?

Yours looks great. I picked up my Mark 40 (3513.53) because I wanted something a little different with some color but also the convenience and everyday practicality of an automatic and sapphire.

Great “little” watch at 39mm - Congratulations!
I’ve got the color-riot dial version and wear it often.
Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment inside.
Caliber 1151 movement based on ETA 7751 multi-functional workhorse.

Don’t set the date info when hour hand is between 8p and 2a to avoid gear interference.