Forums Latest Members

Member since 2015, has done almost nil contributions, keeps posting watches for sale on Private Sale

1. time flies Jul 31, 2020

Participating is great. I'm interested in the op's response to @dsio question.

have fun
    kfw

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2020

Coffee and a Chicken schnitzel with Cheese Tomato Onion on a bread roll. Then 9 hours on a wharf without lunch.

12 thousand posts and only sold 1 watch via the FS thread. Don’t sell has been my best investment strategy ;)

3. janice&fred Jul 31, 2020

All is not lost. Any time you have a red hot deal to sell simply shoot me a PM and I will snatch it up and pop it here for a tidy profit. That's the kinda guy I am :D

4. sdre Jul 31, 2020

Which is?

5. Dedalus05 Jul 31, 2020

I am in the same boat. A member coming up to three years now. I want that 200 post hit, but posting continuous "Not an expert, but..." posts is really only borderline helpful at the best of times, and not much more than outright guesswork the rest of the time. So I browse and keep schtum. Not sure what my point is, but here - this was my 166th post. You're welcome.

murph likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2020

There is a whole off topic forum here where you can discuss pretty much anything (within reason), so honestly this "I don't know enough to contribute" line people keep using is puzzling. Again this is a community, so we just don't talk about watches, but about lots of different topics.

Davidt, Taddyangle, Evitzee and 2 others like this.
  7. time flies Jul 31, 2020

Got my question backwards...im interested the response of the individual to whom op is referring and to whome @dsio posed the question. "what have you gotten..." or something along those lines.
    Sorry for the confusion. ::facepalm1::

have fun
    kfw

8. sdre Jul 31, 2020

Op = original poster. Which is me.

So yeah, I'm pretty damn confused for real lol

9. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 31, 2020

I think
    They are wanting to see how the person in question would respond to all this.

nimzotech likes this.
  10. cakey007 Jul 31, 2020

This is why I spend more time here , the helpful members :D :D

janice&fred and Taddyangle like this.
  11. cakey007 Jul 31, 2020

Well, with Heuers, I felt I made one possible contribution to the understanding of a model - so hardly prolific but help if I can even if in only a small part :) :)

Dedalus05 likes this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 31, 2020

Yes we used talk about how Dennis did in the Olympics one year,
    [​IMG]

and then his fall from grace in the forums :(
    _L0E38dd46.jpg
    His enjoyment of the Phillies games

7d0d3b6e33e2e88e2e2b15cf26874da1.jpg
    ,and then his fall from grace in the forums :(

We speculated on the New Zenith line each year....
    $(KGrHqN,!lEFHWCwKr6PBR7)utIl9Q~~60_57.jpg

Ashley's brief career in law enforcement...we were much tougher on forum offenses back then

ash8.jpg

Who can forget our annual celebration of Pirate day and Staff cruise :thumbsup:

75871-f5ea6b4560f57c3c78bb6ebf09308e38.jpg

Cicindela's trip to Scotland for a Juvenile Corrections seminar.

_B3R0801.jpg

For any new or other concerns, please refer to our compliance and adjustment officer, Mr Oliver Smith , Cockatoo hill, Queensland 15.

skippy pint.gif

Davidt, kkt, AAAKK and 14 others like this.
  13. time flies Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for that. I have my moments.

have fun
    kfw

14. pdxleaf ... Jul 31, 2020

There seems to be a lot of consternation over this 200 post thing. I was initially accused of post farming myself, which I no doubt brought upon myself due to my over exuberance, (fairly) recent retirement and covid lockdown.

After my somewhat bracing introduction (and after I made the appropriate apologies privately) I put all such concerns out of my head and embraced the forum full heartedly, which in my case meant commenting on vintage speedmasters, space, pet pictures, automobiles, art collecting, Hamilton watches, Eterna and soon to comment on Oris that I recently embraced.

I think the general populace of the forum understands the forum and appreciates it for what it is. Some folks don't want to post and some are prolific posters. I suspect that a member who has been involved for 5 years with less than 200 posts is using and enjoying the forum as much as someone who has 2000 posts in one year.

An observant reader will notice that this is my 199th post. I had thoughts of only posting to 199 and then stopping. But just now I read a thread from a reader on vacation asking about IWC pilot watches. I really want to tell him to look at the Oris big crown propilot chronograph gmt that was only made one year. But if I do then that would be my 199th and last post.

So this post is marking my bar mitzvah into full membership, assuming I don't get docked for too many pet pictures. I just can't help myself, I like this forum and enjoy posting (even though I don't like facebook.)

In order not to completely highjack this thread, I think we can trust the mods to enforce the rules appropriately. Given that they are volunterrs, I would not want to aggravate them enough that they would consider charging for their time and grief. (Of course no one is questioning the wisdom of the 200 post rule, simply the grandfathered clause. Still, policing is a difficult task and probably best left to the authorities.)

Now that i got that off my chest, on to that thread about pilot watches and no more thoughts about too many posts.

Edited Jul 31, 2020
    cicindela, ChiefMark, murph and 2 others like this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jul 31, 2020

MAZEL TOV!!!

290394A5-73F2-4E11-93AE-5B3BE779FFE4.jpeg

kkt, cicindela, ChiefMark and 5 others like this.
  16. mydeafcat Jul 31, 2020

Observant...Bar Mitzvah....I see what you did there.

kkt and pdxleaf like this.
  17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 31, 2020

HAPPY DAYS ::love::

kkt, STANDY, UncleBuck and 1 other person like this.
  18. Syzygy Jul 31, 2020

I was about to say "I don't contribute much, as I'm not sure I've learned enough to really add much value yet"...but I have posted some photos of vacations that specifically stick in my mind, and have shared a story or two with other members...so I guess I do contribute more than I thought. Thanks for the perspective!

Cheers to the OF community!

pdxleaf and UncleBuck like this.
  19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 31, 2020

Dennis hasn't fallen from anything in my eyes.

He was most helpful, most knowledgeable and most caring beneath a direct, no bs, no quarter shown exterior.
    There were no questions about the blunt and sometimes brutal meaning of his words and many were offended.

I understand his being banned and I understand the mods decision but I firmly believe it was his choice of direction.

I wish Windy and Dennis all the best.

TDBK, kkt, marco and 6 others like this.
  20. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 31, 2020

I feel the same, I have a modest collection compared to most and have often referred to myself as the village idiot.
    I have been a member for 8 years but I have 1 year of experience repeated 8 times.

Still..... I swim with the best, have many friends and am able to magnify my knowledge exponentially on the backs of the good souls here. Just find collectors focused on horology and not pieces of silver and follow them for great fun.

I have a fantastic hobby that uses math, physics, craftsmanship and art to measure the abstract concept of time.

Shabbaz, kkt, apsm100 and 5 others like this.