Forums Latest Members

Material to replicate factory grain brushing?

1. avidmark Oct 13, 2019

I've got some deep scratches I'd like to remove or at least make less noticeable on the side of my Speedy. Anyone know the best material that will match the factory graining? Is Scotch Brite the closest? Tried that and it doesn't match too well. Thanks.

2. Canuck Oct 13, 2019

There are numerous grades of Scotch Brite . Fine to coarse. Perhaps you should pick up e few different grades, and practise on scrap cases until you get the result you want.

Sidreilley and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Oct 14, 2019

And when you find that correct grade @avidmark, good luck on getting the brushing the same angle and evenness as the original ;)

Just saying that unless you have access to equipment to keep the watch fixed and the application of the sanding material even, it will probably end up looking fairly home made.

Sidreilley, JimInOz and 03Hemi like this.
  4. 03Hemi Oct 15, 2019

I've refinished or touched up many a stainless finishes on guns with a Scotch Brite pad, never use steel wool though, and if you go slow and in one direction it can be accomplished.

Sidreilley and ejj like this.
  5. asrnj77 Oct 15, 2019

Better to pay a pro. It’s not that much money and if you mess up you’ll wish you’d paid somebody to begin with.

03Hemi likes this.
  6. gpssti4 Oct 16, 2019

If you’re prepared to have it done professionally you have nothing to lose by having a go yourself. If it works out okay for you, you will have saved some money, if not you’ve only spent a little time and money on it and have learnt not to do it again!

7. MalaMD Oct 16, 2019

My OB (in London) told me that if the scratches are fairly minor they can have their watchmaker polish them out for free, or for a minimal charge if it takes a bit longer, so it might be worth you taking yours in if you have one nearby.

03Hemi likes this.
  8. Perseus Oct 17, 2019

I've been very happy with the gray scotch brite.

300mc.JPG

Ricoandreas likes this.
  9. stuart70 Oct 18, 2019

I would live with them it just shows that you wear the watch. If they are that much of an issue Omega refinish that watch at service. So you could wait till then?

10. Ricoandreas Aug 3, 2020

Hi @MalaMD if you don’t mind me asking, who is your local OB? The nearest to me is at Westfield W12 and I’d be interested to know what other OBs are saying and offering? Thanks in advance.

11. Bugbait Aug 3, 2020

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/store/country/united-kingdom/city/london

The OBs with service centres:
    - 260 Regent Street W1B 3AG
    - 451 Oxford Street W1C 2PF
    - 9 Sloane Street SW1X 9LE

Plus the Vintage Store in Burlington Arcade. Mappin & Webb and Watches of Switzerland are ADs with service centres but I wouldn't expect them to do anything for free unless you're a customer. Business it business after all.

Strangely the OB at Stratford isn't listed as a service centre but they do have one. I was told they only officially support basic watches there, i.e. Time and date only, no chronographs, etc. However they still adjusted the timing on my De Ville chronograph on site under warranty.

Ricoandreas likes this.