Forums Latest Members

Lume to replicate model aircraft formation lights?

1. OmegaP99 Aug 9, 2020

I am in the process of purchasing a couple of 1/72nd scale aircraft models, and they have painted replicas of the formation lights. These lights glow green and are electroluminescent, operated via a rheostat to vary their brightness. I have never worked with lume powders at all, and was curious if you guys who have think I could apply some to these areas to replicate the actual glow of the formation lights? If so, what's the best type to use and application method?

Here's an example of what the lights decals look like on a model (F-22), the small green strip at the top left of the vertical stabilizer:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.36.40 PM.png

Here's what they look like on actual aircraft (F-35):
    f-35c-night-image.jpg

DaveK likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 9, 2020

I think it would be better to get a sheet of those luminous stars and shapes that you stick on your kid's bedroom ceiling.
    You cut the strips as required and use them, more to practice with, probably cheaper than a lume kit as well.

JimJupiter, ZIELSZIEK and OmegaP99 like this.
  3. OmegaP99 Aug 9, 2020

That's pretty clever. I have been doing a bit of research on what lume types work best and I doubt those would glow as long, but I have an new avenue of research to go down. It would be much simpler this way so no reason not to experiment a bit as you say. Thanks!

4. ZIELSZIEK Aug 10, 2020

They do actually glow for a bit, I did experiment with them for a project of mine.
    I would also recommend trying to work something with lume powder and resin, maybe you can cast a lume strip with the help of a silicone mold?
    Hope this helps.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. OmegaP99 Aug 10, 2020

I have quite a bit of experience with casting resin so I might try all of these options and see what works best. None are very costly or difficult. Thank you!

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  6. TLIGuy Aug 10, 2020

I build scale scale model modern jet aircraft and use the Steel Beach slime lights painted with craft store glow in the dark paint mixed to the correct color. I have also painted the slime lights with glow in the dark paint and then overlaid the decal over it to reproduce the lights in the dark.

Glow in the dark paint

sba248.jpg

flqt-9000 and OmegaP99 like this.
  7. OmegaP99 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you! Didn't know these existed. When you say you sometimes overlay these decals over the glow-painted sections, does that mean they are somewhat transparent, or are they more replicating the bezel around the slime lights?

8. TLIGuy Aug 10, 2020

Slime lights on a real aircraft are not flush to the surface so the Steel Beach slime lights give a final model a bit of scale and perspective. They are vinyl adhesive stickers. I've painted the precut SB adhesives and then have laid them inside the black outline you see and in your picture. I've also spayed glow in the dark paint onto the model surface, masked off the lights, sprayed the fuselage color, removed the tape exposing the glow in the dark paint and then laid the water slide decal over the painted light that then glows through the decal.

If you are dealing with a pre build model I would try a vinyl sticker cut and painted to lay inside the black frame.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  9. OmegaP99 Aug 10, 2020

Good info! I have seen the lights on physical aircraft so have some guidance there. I should have stated these are prebuilt die-cast (Hobby Master 1/72nd) so comes exactly as you see in my photos up top. I haven't owned any of their pieces so not sure how the lights look in person, so once I get the models in hand, an A-10 and an F-22, that should inform the options moving forward. If they are just painted then I can use these methods to build them up a bit. I also saw some brass photo etched light bezels that I could affix and fill with lume paint, which might also look cool. I'll come back with pics of the processes, but I'm sourcing these overseas so will be a bit before I have them in hand.

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. shiloh_101 Aug 10, 2020

Be sure to post pics when you get them. Would love to see em!

OmegaP99 likes this.
  11. shiloh_101 Aug 10, 2020

I assume they call them "Slime Lights" due to the color?

TLIGuy and OmegaP99 like this.