Forums Latest Members
  1. jbhout Jun 19, 2013

Was the Mark II produced other than 1969? Thanks!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 19, 2013

3. jbhout Jun 19, 2013

I had seen that. It says 69 only but just couldn't quite accept that was true. Seems like there more Mark II's out there than a single year's production. So I through it out to see if somebody had a different version of events.

4. pascs Jun 20, 2013

I thought it was 69 to 70.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 20, 2013

I am stuck in another airport lounge, so here goes.

Yes, I think they were made in 1969-70. Obviously sold over a few years after, but I don't think they ran out the door with thier pants on fire.

I have a theory that as an unloved and orphaned offshoot of the speedmaster family, it is only now that people are starting to notice, appreciate, and care for MkII's. They have always had a hard core of admirers, myself included, but it is in the last two to three years prices on open auctions have got firmer, and there has definitely been a rise in interest shown in MkII's in many fora.

Perhaps finally the solid 70's look is falling into vogue. I must say I have always liked them, and recently even civilians comment on it. (By that I mean non watch people). And I am not counting the pretty girl who says ooh what a lovely watch, who when I start to elaborate some finer point of horology, their eyes glaze over and say, oh no - I just like the strap!

To service an 861 calibre properly requires a skilled watchmaker and about $650. As these watches were trading at this level or less until relatively recently my guess is quite a lot of them didn't get the service or attention they would have got had it been a moon watch. There are a lot on the market, of wildly variable quality.....possibly because nearly all of them are on the market! I know that isn't really true, but compared to Moonwatches, I think it is arguable, and I hope you see my point.

Even now, at todays prices, a service is a significant proportion of the value. I think they simply have not yet found their way into the hands of collectors in the same way that moonwatches have. I also think that there are a lot of BIN's on ebay that are stagnant and do not reflect market values.

They are an aquired taste, quite bulky on the wrist, and for some awkward on the OEM bracelet. I prefer to wear mine on leather.

Some of the patinated ones I have seen have the most beautifully aged dials and hands. More so than in the moonwatches from the same period. This really exites me. I'm strange like that. Chocolate dials that are almost unseen in a 145.022 are relatively common. And once you have seen an evenly faded grey dial with matching patinated hands you won't be able to look at a Japan special with any lust at all.

In summary I think we are seeing a raw market, with a large percentage of owner watches (as opposed to dealer or flipper owned) . As a result we are seeing many more unmolested examples.

I am not quite sure their time is now, but I think it will come soon.

as I said I can't post photos at the moment, but here is my gold MkII: http://omegaforums.net/threads/my-little-secret-speedmaster-mkii.5652/

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  6. jbhout Jun 20, 2013

Thanks for the quality feedback. I just picked one up so I'm trying to learn a little more about them. Here's a picture of my Mark II with it cousins:
    [​IMG]